A first in flu shots…

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 7:56 pm on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I did a flu shot clinic today for an employer group.  This guy comes in ..kinda big guy, not necessarily FAT, but “bulky” is a more appropro term.  He turned in his paper work and rolled up his sleeves…to just above his elbow.

” Ya’ll gonna have to get this sleeve up to your shoulder because I’m not able to give your shot into your elbow” I jested.

He moved it up about a half inch, really no better than before. ” That is as far as this is going to go” he said rather tersely.  I could tell he was not the most friendly type, so I replied, ” Ok,  you may take your arm out of your sleeve then. This vaccination has to go into the shoulder muscle, not the bicep or tricep ”

” No I won’t!, the hell with this”.  and he left the room.

The employer representative was present in the room.  Not sure how he felt about the interchange, but if I was an employer, I’d be a bit embarrassed to have one of MY employees behave like that to a vendor.

I hope he gets the flu.

Comment by Glen Harness

October 19, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Sounds like they were not given much choice as to whether or not they got the shot. Ah well. My company just gave 14,000 flu shots in a 13 hour period last week. 12,500 or so of them were in an 8 hour period and we hope to have that certified by Guinness.The flu shots were completely optional. He made the choice to attend the clinic. He also made the choice to refuse to take his arm out of his shirt so the shot could be given. He was being a bit of a pr*ck because he expected me to just inject him “wherever” he exposed to me. and Congrats by the way for 14k flu shots. I am assuming you had a team of pharmacists doing it. I do my clinics alone..Where (if I may ask) did you get 12,500 people in one place to do all those shots in 8 hours?? or did you have a huge team of pharmacists spread all over the metro doing a ton of clinics??

Comment by Don

October 20, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

I’m guessing embarassing tattoo, or perhaps disfigurement? it was no secret that he was to get a vaccination that day. it was his choice, and to be rude to me was unnecessary and inappropriate. I was completely professional. if he had some kind of disfigurement then attending an open flu clinic was his mistake. Flu clinics have become public events…held in the lunch rooms, conference rooms, ” drive up flu shots”, waiting for your plane,etc

Not to be rude, but offering him privacy, or the other arm might have been a little more empathetic.HE selected the arm. I dont make that selection

Remember, it’s a person you’re treating, not a piece of meat with a shoulder muscle.harsh man…I was very polite and friendly. His posture was his way or no way…I dont have a choice. Protocol states Deltoid muscle only.

Might I suggest re-reading this article?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath

To be honest chick, I expected better from you. Maybe you’re so busy you’re sacrificing quality for quantity.not nice Don…I am more than appropriate and kind.So how can you say I sacrificed quality? you expect me to violate protocol and stick the needle just anywhere? THAT is sacrificing quality.

Maybe this is just a momentary slip up?Sorry, I dont see you point, cant agree with you on this one… I didn’t do anything wrong, nor did I slip up

Nice blog by the way.Well, thanks. sorry you didn’t like this post tho.

Don.
Former Paramedic
Christchurch
New Zealand

Comment by Mallory

October 21, 2011 @ 4:30 am

Moobs.

‘Bulky’ guy, embarassed to partially remove his shirt? Defensive and over reactive?

Diagnosis: Poor guy has man-boobs, and is very sensitive about them.

Comment by JS

October 21, 2011 @ 5:36 am

When I know that I will be getting an injection (and I am not wearing shot appropriate clothes) I always make sure that I wear a tank top under my shirt, taking responsibility for my own health care as so many RPH’s and MD’s complain is such a huge problem is the very least I can do. I am sure he knew this was happening! No shot is better than one given incorrectly!

Please read PC’s post “The Story at the end of the Needle!”

How many more of these do you have PC? when they happen, you will be the first to know!

Hope you and the Mr. have a good weekend.in a golf tournament! should be fun!!

Comment by dr-lasermed

October 21, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

I see the arm problem more often with women. Sometimes I have people open the top of their shirt and pull it down far enough to get to the area.

But not everyone is willing to even do that. but then again, I had a guy friday want a flu shot…I went to into the wait room to find a man stripped to his waist. LOL. had a tidy pile of clothes next to the chair.

What are you going to do?