Where not to yak on your cell phone

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 6:53 pm on Monday, August 29, 2011

I have become more and more accustomed (note: I didn’t say accepting) to seeing cellphones or blue tooth headsets growing out of everybody’s ears.  Im walking my dog on a quiet walk path and my silence is ruptured by the sound of a lady walking her dog and yakking loudly on her phone…in Japanese.  Im in a line at a store and somebody has to tell her friend that X has Y on sale and she HAS TO GET DOWN HER NOW!.   Im in the change room at Chickville Dept store and some girl is holding court in the adjacent room with the assumption that nobody else can hear her trash her soon-to-be ex boyfriend. I dont even blink anymore when customers are distracted by their phones during my counselling.  I just launch right in and if they know what is good for them, they better start listening.

All of these things are annoying but I live with it,  but I needed to get some gas today.  I drove into my gas station, that has 3 pump stations, each with two pumps on each one.  This dude in a big lexus is at the ONLY station that has a free pump…in FRONT of him.  He is done…I saw the dude replace the pump. So I drove up behind him expecting him to leave so I can move into the front space and leave the rear space for the next guy.  BUT NOOOOO..he isn’t moving..He is having a cell phone coversation ….in his car..blocking the last remaining two pumps. WTF?  After I sit there for about 20 seconds (think thats not long?…just sit there doing nothing to the count of 20)..I finally maneuver around him and back into the pump that is open…granted..kinda catty-whompus so I CAN GET SOME GAS!

In the process I have left just enough room for him to pass by….very …..very ….carefully…in otherwords…not much room.

He finally decides to move on and himself has to maneuver carefully around me, who by now has a gas pump firmly attached to my car.  He gives me a dirty look.

I flash a big smile and shrug my shoulders.  I should feel bad…

But I dont.

Comment by Mallory

August 30, 2011 @ 3:53 am

Why should you feel bad? Karma happened, and all it cost him was some careful steering.

At least he wasn’t driving while on the phone.

Comment by Cdn_PT

August 30, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Had a girl come up to the counter with an Rx in hand and cell phone in her ear, telling her friend what it was for. I proceeded to help everyone around her and waited until she was done her call… ten minutes later. I think she got the point because she didn’t complain to my Pharmacy Manager, who a was standing right next to me, could clearly see her, and that I wasn’t serving her.
Of course, the reason I did that was because I had multiple insurance related questions because she hadn’t been in for two years. And of course, once call finished, she got another right away from her mother, which she took while wandering the aisles so I had to chase her down every time.

Comment by JS

August 30, 2011 @ 11:22 am

Hi PC! How are you? Any good golfing lately?

I know some pharmacies have signs asking customers to get the heck off the phone (not that anyone reads them). However, maybe something more bold like, “You will be asked to step out of line if you are talking on your cell phone!”

The thing that pisses me off more than that, are those who do not stay behind the privacy line while waiting to drop off/pick up a script. Nothing like being able to feel (and sometimes smell) the breathe of someone who is standing way to close. I have turned around and asked them too step back. I sometimes worry that it’s someone whose hoping that customers are picking up C2’s and wanting to get close to get the information to try to steal a script. Has that ever happened?

Maybe I just trust many people.

Take care!

JSyup, been golfing a lot. sad to see the summer end! We try to reveal as little as possible about the kind of med that a person has unless its absolutely necessary.

Comment by RxBoy

August 30, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

I don’t think you were mean at all. He apparently thought it was fine to make you wait on him, so why shouldn’t you do the same to him? I would have done the same thing. Too many people think the world revolves around them. When I’m at work I have to pretend that’s the case with each one of them. I’m certainly not going to do it on my own time.

I hate the cell phone users at the counter, but we can’t do anything about it. Our corporate office has flat out told us that customers have the right to be on their phones, even while we are waiting on them at the counter. Every time a customer calls corporate we get in trouble because we “didn’t do enough to make the customer leave happy.”

I’d like for a few customers to call and complain that they were held up because we had to stand there and let the person in front of them finish the phone call for five minutes. It happens all the time. If they yell at me I actually tell them that we are not allowed to make people get off the phone. I know for a fact that if I was being held up by an idiot on a phone, I’d be on the phone with that store’s corporate office demanding compensation for wasting my time.

Comment by Ann

August 30, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

Did you know that talking on a cell phone while pumping gas can be dangerous? I leave the gas station and go elsewhere if people are on their phones while pumping gas.

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

August 30, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

Talk on the telephone while driving? PC, I HAVE STOPPED LISTENING TO THE RADIO WHILE DRIVING! My small Texas home town is so full of drunk or drugged drivers that I no longer DARE to do anything behind the wheel of my car except concentrate on my driving. I want to die fighting evil. I do not want to die of someone running a red light.

Comment by Jaden

August 31, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I found myself talking on the phone while the lab tech was trying to draw my blood. Technically, she should have asked me to leave…there was a sign posted (which I didn’t see because I was on the phone). In any case, to my defense, I was calling my husband to bring my son when he came to pick me up so that my son could have his necessary bloodwork done, too; instead of my husband picking me up at the clinic, then going home and coming back for our son.

On these occasions, as the phone caller, I feel justified because I’ve been in line so long, that I may as well do something productive and necessary, such as ring my husband to tell him I’ll be late because the errand that I expected would take only 35 minutes is taking quite a bit longer and I’m waiting in line at the ‘x’ shop and could he, please, go ahead and fix dinner and take the kids to such and such.Im afraid I will have to disagree with your statement that you are justified in calling to make that call at the time you chose. do it before, or after, but WHILE you are having blood drawn? expect that YOU will be on some lab tech’s blog tonight!

As for radio in the car…I agree with Ol’ Poth for another reason. As a PRN agency pharmacist I often was sent to drug stores > 150 miles from home and had to use MapQuest to gauge the time and route to the dinky little towns over three states. I’d start out at 4:30 AM, and keep changing channels for reception, to listen to music. I found out the hard way that listening to interesting discussions, put me out somewhere I had no idea to get back on a main route, which was especially panicking if I was pressed for time. That was the same reason I couldn’t listen to audio books while driving.