Doing something meaningful.( kinda long..I know)

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 9:53 pm on Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Passion:  I suppose everbody has a definition of the word.  To me, its a description of  an obsessive or overwhelming desire or caring  for something or someone.   People can be passionate about another human being,  a certain hobby, a food or a cause.  Our pastor at the church often  preaches about passion, but in his context its generally about mission, which is HIS personal passion.  While the mission field is certainly a  noble cause to be passionate about, Ive always felt kind of bad (either by accident or design) everytime he preaches about finding your passion in life, because I feel he is always intimating that we should be passionate about the same things he is.

Pharmacy is not my passion.  Its my job.  I do not wake up every morning with a burning desire to put my white coat on and serve mankind by delivering drugs into their hands.  To be honest, I’d probably serve mankind better if I delivered LESS drugs into their hands.  Americans take too many drugs, frankly.  NO,  Pharmacy is what I do…it does not define me.  I rarely talk about the profession unless  I am pressed into it by somebody who thinks its “interesting”, or “cool”.

I think what ever passion you have for something, its innate.  I dont think you necessarily CHOOSE it,  It kind of chooses you, and you can either act on it or not depending on your circumstances.    For me, its a love of animals.  My heart literally hurts when I see or hear about animals that are unloved, abandoned or abused. Whether its pets or livestock, animals shouldn’t be abused.  They are helpless, especially domesticated animals.

Say what you want, people are not helpless.  A person may be  lazy or ignorant, but unless they are damaged either by accident or birth, a person is not helpless.  They can choose to rise above circumstance or not.  Our pets aren’t so blessed.  Tho the lion’s share of my charitable donations each year goes to our church, a sizeable amount is also set aside for my animal charities:  Humane society, the local shelter and various rescue organizations.

Recently thru Facebook, I “liked” a rescue group, for my particular breed of dog.  I started following their posts and activities.  This national org is amazingly well run and organized.  Thru the efforts of their board and thousands of volunteers with a similar mind, they rescue, vet, foster, transport, and find forever homes for hundreds of dogs each year….dogs that likely would have been euthanized if not for their efforts. No dog is unworthy.   No dog is hopeless.  And unlike many rescue orgs, they will take mixed breeds also.

They run entirely on donations.  They are passionate about what they do. Nobody takes a wage.  All the money pays for caring for the dogs they rescue.  I made regular donations, and occasionally when a plea came in for a special needs dog, I would donate whatever I could afford.

But, donations weren’t feeding my passion.  I finally stepped up to the plate and asked if I could do more. They needed transporters–people willing to drive a leg while moving the dogs crosscountry. But mostly, they needed HOMES.  Foster homes for the dogs to stay long term while they wait for somebody to choose them.    I filled out the application and shortly was contacted by the zone coordinator and was given a home inspection to verify  we were a safe and appropriate place.  ” These dogs were already in the fire…we want to keep them from the frying pan too” she said.

A few weeks later I got the call.  ” are you ready for a dog?”.   It was kinda scary to actually receive the call.  Because of my living situation (dogs outside while I am at work) , it was decided that I would qualify for older dogs only, which is perfect, because they tend to be the hardest to place, and there are so many of them. I got my first girl in June.  Morbidly obese from being over fed, she was the sweetest thing you could imagine. All she wanted was to be around people.  We walked her and kept her on a diet.  I loved her. She shed over 10 lbs.  A couple of weeks ago I got the call ” we have an adopter for your little girl”.

It was harder than I thought to say goodbye. Dang..with passion comes a bit of pain too.

Now we have a kindly old gent living with us.  He is 10, and as sweet as our first girl was.  He was turned into the shelter because his owner died and his kids (who ended up with him) claimed he always ran away.  Well I’d run away too, if I was left alone all day by myself and ignored.  Gent hasn’t run anywhere.  He loves my two girls, and they play all the time.  He talks alot when he wants treats and food, but is one awesome dog.  Yes, he is in the sunset of his life, and if his sun sets at my house, so be it.

I’ve found my passion.  I’ll serve these dogs.  I’ll walk them, brush them, play with them and love them.  They ask for nothing but a nice place to rest their bodies.

I think I am getting WAY more out of this than the dogs.

Good dog..

August 10, 2011 @ 5:01 am

That is wonderful, PC.

Comment by A-M

August 10, 2011 @ 9:35 am

You are awesome.

Comment by ProudtoServe

August 10, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Well said. Pharmacy has never been my passion either, but it does provide a stable income that allows me time and money to support my passions. For my family, we are slowly becoming a micro rescue center for abandoned dogs and discarded children. Our life is full and rich. Blessings. PTS

Comment by martha seymour

August 10, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

Wow… I’m not a pharmacist, but I understand exactly how you feel. Some people have called me abnormal or that my priorities are out of whack. I am sure I didn’t pick animals (mostly domesticated) as my passion because nothing hurts me more than to see an animal in pain, sad, or lonely. I have a daughter and I love her more than anything, but she CAN take care of herself and even when we are small children, we usually understand why are circumstances are like they are. Human beings support each other emotionally and we can tell our children that pain is temporary or why they have it, or what they did to get it! I admire you for your action in your field of passion. I am in a small town without a humane society, but if I see an animal( I love cats too) that needs care or a home or whatever, I do what I can. I have the coolest older boy dog who also only wants some love, and to belong to a secure home. We thought he was going to drop dead before the day was over when we found him.One year and 40 pounds later, he is a wild and crazy very smart grateful dog that gives my 1 year old Basset Hound hours of play and companionship. Sorry this is so long, I guess I got inspired! Thank you.you are most welcome!

Comment by wellillbe

August 10, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

I agree pharmacy is no longer my passion either. I have to disagree that people arent helpless. Maybe non disabled adults arent helpless, but children are. I can see how you feel animals are completely helpless and I am glad you volunteer in a case you find worthy. However I often ask myself why people choose to donate to animal causes when there are so many people in misery. Especially children in abusive situations beyond their control. Why foster a pet instead of a child? Not sepcifically in your situation but in general. As I am able I hope to volunteer as a guardian ad litem to represent a childs best interest when no one else does.I wasn’t refering to children. they need to be raised/nutured. I have no children and that is a choice. I am DEFINITELY not a kid person. I respect people who love kids, but I am not one of them and I really dont like being around them for very long. If I were to foster a child, I would have to quit my job to stay home to properly care for the child. Then if I quit my job I would no longer have the resources to support the donations I make to the church and charities of my choice. 🙂

Comment by Kayla

August 10, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

You should seriously consider looking into veterinary pharmacy. I am in pharmacy school right now and that is an elective that we can take. Maybe that could also help you fuel your passion of helping animals!an excellent idea. Most vet pharmacy items would be compounded likely, something my retail setting doesn’t have the ability to do. we dont have access to raw materials. but I like your idea!

Comment by Ianto Jones

August 11, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Well said, and thank you for doing so much/being generous and self-aware.
As for getting back more than you give -I bet the pup would differ 🙂
Win/win!

Comment by Katrina

August 12, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

that is great! I wish we had the means to do something like that… hopefully sometime in the future!

I found an interesting article I thought you might like: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl-suzy-cohen-062611-20110621,0,5597917.column

=)(not spam, i promise!)

Comment by Erin

August 12, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

I am not a dog person, myself, but this post really touched me!
There is a kid in our neighborhood from a broken home. His mom left and started a new family, which I truly think is harder than dad leaving. This boy shows up on my doorstep nearly every holiday, and we always invite him to share our meal and family. He is sometimes a trouble maker, and is known for telling a lot of lies. But I won’t turn him away because he is so desperate for love, and in fact, he behaves perfectly while at my house.
Just as you make a difference for those dogs, I hope we can make a difference for this boy.

Comment by Mick

August 12, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

A woman after my own heart. 🙂
I foster dogs for a Border Collie rescue center, my wife volunteers at the center on weekends but as I can’t walk very well now I stick to fostering. We are on our 14th Collie in 2 1/2 years and it was a comfort to have Mack here when our Golden Retriever died last week.
A very rewarding pastime which has become our passion.

Comment by Nathan

August 17, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

It is amazing that there are so many people who treat animals so poorly. People who abuse animals should be treated the same way…starved, beaten, ignored, etc… I love animals greatly and I rejoice at the fact that there are people who love them and want to take care of them.

Comment by Miss Chevious

September 7, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Wow, you are fabulous. My sister has been fostering weimaraners and great danes for years. It takes a special person to nurse a dog back to health and then just give it up when it’s time for adoption. Serious props to you!