Flu shot Follies III

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:30 pm on Monday, September 28, 2009

I guess flu shots will earn a lot of write-time this year…its always good for a story.

1. Mr Copafeel.  This guy came in for his flu shot. I sit next to my patients when I give flu shots.  I took all his info and asked him to rest his arm at his side…He flops his arm over the arm rest..and right between my legs.  Um, ok..comfortable??

2. Ms “I’m in a hurry”.  She wasn’t in any mood to wait, but there wasn’t going to be a choice.  We were buried, both in flu shots and prescriptions.  After trying to negotiate her insurance, we finally gave up and told her she had to pay.  “whine whine whine…fine, I’ll pay”. when I finally got to sit next to her to GIVE her shot, her friggin cell phones rings…AND SHE ANSWERS IT…but NO she didn’t say “I’ll call you back”..she takes  the entire call.  Piss on this…I just stick her in the arm, and she is yakking away as if she is the only person in the wait room.  I try to get her to move from  the “victim’s chair” but she just settles in to take her call till I finally give her the thumbs up to please GET UP.  She keeps this phone call going all the way thru the payment.  PUHLEEZE.  We use to have a sign asking people to get the hell off their phones  but corporate took it down. H.o.w.R.u.d.e.

3. Miss Scaredy cat.  I honestly wasn’t sure I should give her a shot today.  She wanted it (so she says) but I think I needed IV Valium to keep this girl in the chair. She was completely freaked out by the needle.  I was ready to ask for restraints. I asked her ” Kim, are YOU SURE you want this shot?  you are going nuts here…”..She did..I am not sure who was more stressed out…her or me by the time she was done.

Ya’ll are welcome to share your own flu shot folly stories with everybody!

Comment by poe

September 29, 2009 @ 4:32 am

FUNNY! I wish I had some stories.

Comment by lizinopril

September 29, 2009 @ 8:41 pm

Let’s see… I had some man who thought he was Santa Clause (12/24 birthday to go with it) and he gave me his picture after I was done giving him his shot.

A lot of couples come in together, the wife goes first, then husband’s turn… when I ask “which arm do you want your flu shot in?” they reply, “Her other arm.” Hah.

Can’t wait for October 1 when we don’t have to have them available all day anymore.

Comment by chris

September 30, 2009 @ 5:23 am

I think they are preparing us to give flu shots, we received some national guidance on pharmacy administered flu vaccines that we neither needed or asked for.you might as well get ready Chris. It used to be optional for us…now its a requirement…unless you have a dr’s waiver. Its the future of pharmacy..

Comment by kevhead

September 30, 2009 @ 1:05 pm

Saw on TV the other a day a volunteer group was giving flu shots to people in their cars. Wait until the Pharmacy Chains hear about this, my prediction is the pharmacy drive through windows will stop being bank style and go back to fast food style so we can give shots through the drive through.
The thing that concerns me about this is the fact that some people can faint up to 15 minutes after a flu shot. that parasympathetic response can be delayed. Every person i have given a flu shot to IN a car have been disabled PASSENGERS..not drivers…tho I am quite sure many of my customers get their flu shots and immediately leave the store…but drive by…mmmm not so sure about that…

Comment by Shalom (R.Ph)

September 30, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

IV valium won’t work. Take it from me, you need to have it on board before the first needle goes in, or there’s no point; it’s kind of like opening the crate with the crowbar that’s inside of it. Give some PO an hour before the shot, and you’ll be fine.

(Of course you might be surprised at how much diazepam you can get into someone and still have them walking around. Me for instance. I have a *major* needle phobia. I can work with them in the IV room fine, but no way is the pointed end going to be aimed in my direction without major sedation or violence. Last time I needed an IV (R/O appendicitis), I started out with 25mg just so I wouldn’t assault the phlebotomist, and wound up needing another 10 along the way. Didn’t freak out, but it was a near thing (and it got some raised eyebrows from the RN doing the intake assessment when he asked me how much I’d just taken, so he could chart it). Obviously I took a cab home and went back for my car the next day, wouldn’t dare try driving after that. For any non-pharmacists reading this, it’s about seven times the usual anti-anxiety dose. I think I could probably get away with 15mg for sub-Q, but longer needles will need more than that. I daily give thanks to my Maker that He didn’t see fit to make me Type-1 diabetic, as I wouldn’t last two weeks.)

As far as the cell phone yackers: Somebody makes cell phone jammers. I don’t recall if I’ve ever posted about them here, but they come from Hongkong and cost about $125 for the base model. Problem is you never know if Customs will impound it, as they’re illegal here. Always wanted to get me one of those. Patient wanders up to counter blabbing away, I reach under and flip a switch. Beep – call dropped. “Oh we don’t get any reception back here, it must be the cinder blocks in the walls…”

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

October 2, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

I don’t understand this needle fear thing. Stick it in me. I’ll even watch it go in and come out. Do it with a shot, do it with a blood sample. Do it with a spinal tap. Do it in my mouth with lidocaine. I don’t care. Keep your Valium. I suppose if there was a dominatrix who was into needles, she’d be frustrated with me.

Comment by Lynn

October 4, 2009 @ 8:06 am

Listen parents. When you bring your three year old in for a shot do not squat down and discuss how this is going to help their immune system. You are now negotiating with them and they KNOW that if they hold their ground 9 times out of 10 they will win. This is non-negotiable. Let’s go! And parents, don’t go first to show your kids how it doesn’t hurt. They saw the needle go into your arm. Is it any wonder they are now hanging from the ceiling trying to kick me in the head? Don’t tell them I am not going to hurt them you lying sack of…whatever. I am going to hurt them. They know it, I know it. Now they are never going to believe you again. I won’t lie and tell them it’s not going to hurt. Look, I have got 113 flu shots scheduled for today. Six in each 15 minute slot. Why did you wear a dress shirt. No your sleeve won’t roll up far enough, take your arm out. Thank God our clinic is out of vaccine. And no we don’t have the H1N1. Why don’t you all watch the news. I’m sure they will let everyone know when it is distributed and who should get it. The news changes every day. Just chill! Okay, I think I’m done. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment by Shalom (R.Ph.)

October 5, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

@OleApothecary: Nobody who does not have a specific phobia is capable of understanding that phobia. I personally can’t comprehend how some people I know are terrified of cats. You outweigh the damn thing 20 to 1, what could it possibly do to you?

(I know exactly how I came by this phobia, too. Doesn’t help. Valium does. The first time my doctor tried that and I failed to have a panic attack as expected, I remember thinking, wow, this must be how everyone else reacts to getting a shot…)