MORE flu shot follies:

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:42 pm on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Everybody…and I mean EVERYBODY wants a flu shot this year…and for some…

1. “Hi, can I get a flu shot?”  Sure, fill out the consent form and turn it in to the technician at the counter…” Um Can I have two?” (what?!?)  Um what for sir? “well I am travelling to China and thought I’d bring one with me in case I need it”  It doesnt’ work that way…you only need one.

2.  Hello, I need a swine flu shot….Sorry dont have yet…check with us in a few weeks, but there will be a protocol to follow for distribution..you have to qualify likely to get one…Oh I will qualify…I have a thyroid disorder…

3.  “yes I am here to pick up a prescription and i wanna flu shot too” do you have an appointment?  “No, do I have to have one?” No, but if you dont have one it will likely be about  30-40 minutes to que you to receive one… WHAT?  cant I just GET one?

4. I’d like to get a flu shot if possible  yea no problem….Do I need to take off my pants? not unless you plan on giving yourself a shot!

Just another day in the pharmacy….

Comment by alicia

September 17, 2009 @ 9:33 am

I completely understand your pain chick. At our store the people are exactly the same. And for some reason the state I live in requires we have doctors consent before we can administer a flu shot until november 1st. So try explaining this to all these people that want a shot right now, “Im sorry sir but first we have to fax your doc this consent then when he gets it back to us we will call you and make you an appointment”. The complaining starts and all the whining, why is our state so difficult. I cant wait till november 1 so we can just do it without the docs consent. But doin flu shots on top of our regular workload of about 650-750 rx’s daily with no extra help is really killing us and our wait times.

Comment by Karen

September 17, 2009 @ 8:15 pm

for some reason the American public is just extra difficult this week! Lots of whining, and “fill everything” and “what do you mean, the donut hole – my plan doesn’t have one of those!”

September 18, 2009 @ 4:54 am

I can see prank calls happening.

“I have anal leakage. Do I qualify? (giggle)”

“No, but would you like a tissue?”

Comment by Frantic Pharmacist

September 18, 2009 @ 5:40 am

I shudder when I see the “Just stop in for a flu shot!!!” ads. I know darn well most pharmacies are not equipped to handle this, any more than we are well equipped to handle people who “just stop in” with 7 empty prescription bottles and ask how long its gonna take. Flu shots are a great service, but we should push back against the ‘drive-through’ mentality that Big Drug Store wants to promote — on this and many other things.

Comment by Phat

September 18, 2009 @ 4:29 pm

Never forget the very first time I saw someone get a flu shot at work. 80 year old guy came in, dropped his drawers and bent over. At the counter. Before filling out paperwork.

Nothing like a good ole chocolate starfish to start your day

Comment by Kelly

September 18, 2009 @ 8:38 pm

One of the pharmacies here in Houston got it right. They had a section set up where they had staff doing nothing but flu shots. During specific times. It was great, because I did not have to stand in a long line to pick up my scripts…and the pharmacists that were filling scripts could actually concentrate on that – instead of all the interruptions of questions like you just posted.

The funniest one I heard….

“I have considered getting pregnant – so, that’s like “almost” being pregnant. Do I qualify? And, does my husband qualify since he is responsible for getting me pregnant? What if he gets me pregnant while he has the flu?”

Comment by Sudjatmiko