A pharmacists perspective on Suprep?

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 4:59 am on Thursday, March 8, 2018

Pharmacy Chick  has reached the golden age upon which certain “procedures” shall we say, have been ordered.  Actually, she reached that age a while ago but had decided that certain body parts had been posted “exit only, do not enter”.  Finally after prodding from friends, she decided to take the plunge and get it over.

As I sit here at 3: 30 in the morning gagging down the last of the bowel prep, the only thought in my mind is this:  Never shall I, in the rest of my life, do….this…..again…..

I know this prep is worse than the experience…Ive heard about it and have counseled patients on how to use the various bowel preps.  But until you’ve stood over the last 12-16 ounces of that stuff, you just never appreciate how awful the experience is.

The first session wasn’t as bad.  Ill be honest, that first bottle and the subsequent water intake was mostly a cake session.  But the second one was beyond bad.  Firstly, I still have the horrible memory of the taste of that stuff in my mouth and getting most of it ingested was a lot harder on the second round without vomiting it all up in the sink. Secondly, drinking another 36 ounces of water seems like trying to drink the contents of a swimming pool….in an hour.

Ill never get that last 6 ounces of water down. Fail me if you must…aint gonna happen.

Now its wait and see….more later…

Comment by Officer Cynical

March 8, 2018 @ 6:59 am

Just don’t leave the house.

Comment by Joann A

March 8, 2018 @ 7:40 am

OMG-I know!! I will never do it again!

Comment by Jim

March 8, 2018 @ 12:43 pm

I apologise now , but , I`m sitting here laughing my head off . After what you`ve said , I will refrain from using said preparation . Take care .

Comment by PharmacyJim

March 8, 2018 @ 11:20 pm

Hahaha, uh sorry. Hahaha, ain’t it fun?

Comment by J. mccurdy

March 12, 2018 @ 9:19 am

I found that it goes down easier iced, and a squeeze of lime. Tequila is optional.

Comment by pharmacychick

March 13, 2018 @ 1:34 pm

Ill remember the tequila next time…oh wait they said no alcohol!

Comment by blargh

March 12, 2018 @ 9:38 am

My doc no longer uses that kind of prep. Turns out taking a few huge doses of miralax and a few pills of dulcolax do the same thing. It also is easy to swallow (you drink your own liquid with the miralax and pretty much anything clear is fine that isn’t purple blue or red) though you do have to drink a lot of liquid. You also have to semi-fast the day before. So eating jello (that isn’t one of the banned colors), any flavor clear broth, you get the idea.

The trade off of the limited diet for 24 hours is not having to drink that crap tasting stuff and you don’t have to explosively hit the toilet. With the miralax/dulcolax prep it doesn’t even come out as liquid, it more passes as really soft stool in just a few trips. Much, much easier on your entire system.