Rush it…or Ru SHIT!

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 5:47 pm on Monday, November 23, 2015

There are few words that Pharmacy Chick gets annoyed over hearing MORE than being asked to RUSH a prescription.  Honestly if you think about it, its a stupid request in the first place.  Who asks a dentist to rush a cleaning..or a dr to rush an exam..or worse yet, ask a surgeon to rush the procedure.  Filling a prescription is a procedure of sorts.  There is a start and a finish and everything in between has to be right.  Since I wrote about an error on my last post, it really drives home that rushing anything is a bit of a foolish venture…rushing driving cars causes accidents.   Rushing a prescription and failing to follow procure by doing all the necessary checks can cause an error and potentially cause harm and the pharmacists job.  I am not saying that I rushed my error in Sept.  I have no recollection of that day in fact other than I clearly transcribed an e-script with the wrong strength.

To ask a pharmacist to rush a script is ludicrous not only because it increases the risk of error but it implies that we are some how slow, and putzing along doing non important things when we should be filling prescriptions.  To be quite honest, I like to have prescriptions filled and on the shelf as quickly and as safely as possible.  I don’t like work sitting around but filling rx is the priority job function.  The daily order, the invoices, the  return to stocks, the cleaning, the report filing, all that admin crap is secondary to getting things filled.  Yet why is it that people think that unless we are asked to RUSH something that we are going to take as much time as we possibly can,  deliberately making such patients sit around while we discuss world politics and what we saw on Facebook?

I dont rush rx.  Sometimes I will move someone to the front of the line.  I certainly have a heart, and can prioritize a person bleeding from  a dentist appointment from someone else who hands me a script for lisinopril at the same time.  Come on, give me a break.  However,  At some point there simply is going to be a wait, and no drama production at the counter is going to change that.   I might add that asking to rush a prescription also implies that their prescription is more important than the Rx’s that have preceded it and that is unfair to the people who have dropped off their rx ahead of the one I am supposed to rush.  Everyone is important. No one is less important than the other.  I know urgent, and I know rude. I also know fair. I am pretty good at balancing all of them to get everyone taken care of in the right order.

The last thing I need to hear is I rushed it so I Ru-SHIT..I made a mistake.  Because I guarantee you that the dude whose rx I rushed will be the least forgiving if there is a mistake made because I cut corners.

Cheers! and Happy Thanksgiving to all reading this.  May you find friends, a warm meal and a comfy place to rest your head on Thanksgiving day!

Comment by Loren Pechtel

November 26, 2015 @ 9:26 am

I would interpret “rush” as moving it up in the queue, not in trying to do it faster.

Comment by Maggiepie

November 28, 2015 @ 7:21 pm

If I hear my co-worker one more time say to a customer that we will “get it done real quickly for you” I may have to stab her with my spatula. She rushes the fill process and pressures the pharmacist to hurry it up. She is just begging for an error. 10 minutes isn’t going to kill anyone.

Comment by murgatr

December 1, 2015 @ 6:39 am

“Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right? You can only pick one.”

murgatr
Pharm.Tech RDC’06

Comment by Jade

December 4, 2015 @ 8:01 pm

All points well taken. I resent the ‘rush job’ request, as well. To me, like you, it implies that ordinarily do not have a routine, that I can wind the key to run faster or allow it to wind down. No such thing. If I ‘rush’, I’m taking shortcuts, or potentially skipping a step, or ignoring what else is in need of attention.

Comment by Desiree

February 2, 2016 @ 10:49 pm

A valid Schedule IV rx is received by the pharmacy but the strength written is not included in our formulary (noted). 30 day supply plus 3 refills for 0.5mg.
The tech enters the data as 1mg (in our formulary) 15 tablets but with 5 refills (error?)
Proceeding.
Let’s assume the pharmacist consulted with the prescriber…. but failed to note the details in the original rx. 1mg 1/2 tablet po daily, 15 tabs + 5refills.
Then comes refill time…. RPh#2 sees only the original rx, with no notes. So RPh#2 consults with the prescriber and it is decided that the number of refills now, should only be 2. RPh#2 adds notes of the decision & rewrites the rx.
(Do you follow?)
The first vial was dispensed as 1/2QD, #15 + 5RF. The patient still has the vial as proof.
Then the patient receives the refill with vial label 1/2QD #15 + 2RF and is puzzled.
During the pick up of the next refill, the patient asks about the discrepancy and shows both vials.
Who’s in the wrong?
Is it the tech who entered the data incorrectly?
Is it the 1st pharmacist who didn’t note the verbal changes of the original rx?
Is it the 2nd pharmacist who rewrote the schedule refill?
AThe first label becomes null and void when the 2nd fill is replaced with correct information. Fault is of no consequence. the label is not a legal document. the first pharmacist should have documented his phone call but he/she didn’t. I have had many circumstances over the years where a doc will call up and say ” I gave you a rx for x drug with y refills. cancel the refills please. And so it was done. The label is not a contract or a guarantee of what is on the rx. only the hard copy and its documentation.

Comment by Dork

February 2, 2016 @ 11:11 pm

Would it make a difference if the tech came from abroad where they did not regulate drugs like the USA does and sugar pills are often passed off as “real” and RPh#1 habitually acts unprofessional even when counting schedules and hangs out with questionable people who does questionable things? Let’s say one was shot and the other deals with “Gucci” goods from a factory in asia somewhere & other “luxury” goods.

Comment by DramaBama

February 2, 2016 @ 11:41 pm

It would only make a difference if RPh#1 was new in the pharmacy but not new as an RPh, or if RPh#1 is spoken badly of behind his back by his colleagues because he is asleep behind the wheel 35% of the time and even some of the techs looks at him with disdain (strong word of my choosing of course). I would question the tech. One problem can snowball, you know. But my question is why was an exclusively written rx treated like an exclusively verbal rx. And why the heck did RPh#2 step on RPh#1’s toes? Was it because he’s well disliked? Or does your pharmacy like discord? The RPhs are like a married couple headed towards divorce.

Comment by Desiree

February 3, 2016 @ 1:22 am

DramaBama & Dork, please don’t complicate matters!

You know, on certain prescriptions, all the prescriber has to do is circle the number of refills on the rx form.

Example: If the prescriber wrote a narcotic rx with no refills and the patient decides to circle 5 refills, during pick up, in ideal conditions, a police officer should be waiting for that patient, question him/her for an hour, frisk him/her, search their vehicle, & conduct a full investigation. Falsifying a prescription is a felony. Kosher prescriptions aren’t muddied up… Correct me if I am wrong.

Pls be reminded that the prescriber went with what was in the orginal prescription (refer to my first post). So why was it blurry in the first place? You be the judge!

In the example above, prosecution will most likely arise from state statutes being violated but the feds can easily get involved as it is a federal felony to alter a narcotic rx. (note)

It would be different certainly if the original prescription was illegible beyond comprehension (even I can understand that) but it was not. I mean, am I the only one who is suspicious about how the 0.5QD, 30DS + 3RF prescription was handled? I mean, how does your pharmacy handle day to day activities, especially with narcotic drugs? (Just a side of caution, that’s all =) I’m just saying it wasn’t a wonky prescription to begin with.