Introspectives in a 4 week period

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 6:22 pm on Monday, December 2, 2013

When I think of “introspection” I think of an examination of my own thoughts and feelings.  Most of my day’s work is rarely introspective.  Its all about dealing with everybody else’s feelings and wants and needs.  I am the supreme pharmacy babysitter most days…” I need this, I want that, I lost this, I am out of that”….FIX IT. And so I do.  I sacrifice my appetite, my bladder, my tiredness, body to the department for sometimes up to 13 hours at a time meeting needs that never quit until I shut the gates at closing time, forcing the needs to wait until the next morning onslaught. Its definitely not for the faint hearted, the weak, and certainly not for the impatient.

The roughly 4 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas can be a joy and a nightmare at the same time. People go nuts. There is no way around that.  They over commit, over indulge, and over pay, resulting in meltdowns over the simplest of things.

I watch this every year with a weird wonderment, because I feel very disconnected in this 4 week period known as the Christmas “season”.   The true joy I had the participation of Christmas left on 5-6-98, when my mother died.  She was a Xmas nut!  We had two trees, one green and one flocked, tons of presents ( all of which I wrapped..she bought…I wrapped..and never peeked …because I had to wrap my own too…long story ). she would bake wonderful confections and cookies which were put on trays she brought to neighbors and friends. It was a labor of love.

When my mother died, so did my connection with the trappings of the holidays.  In those years since, I have probably had 3, maybe four years of a Christmas tree in my house. Because my  friends give me such grief I went to a big box store and bought a 24 inch fold out plastic tree. It sits in my window box.

I’ve just never been able to get out of this funk over Christmas.  I have minimal participation, but I still love some aspects.  I could listen to the music all year long and never tire of it. I love the red and green, the over-the-top sweaters,  the colored lights on houses..all that stuff, but if you walk into my own home, all you might see is that small plastic tree.

Yea, its probably pathetic. I do a lot of thinking during this 4 week period too.  Since Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ, its a fitting time to remember what a huge sacrifice that was.  Many people think of the sacrifice of Christ as the death on the cross, but I propose to all that he made TWO huge sacrifices for us. 1) the cross, and 2) when he gave up the glory of Heaven to live as a human.  I cannot imagine what that was like to leave his perfectness and live in this imperfect and broken place. He is my perfect model. My gold standard.  The perfection I wish to hold to.

Since He is my standard, I pale woefully in comparison, another of my difficulties during this season.  MY PERSONAL Introspection reveals what I really am, a complete failure compared to the perfection of Christ.  And while his sacrifices will REDEEM me as innocent before the judge, it doesn’t change the fact that I am GUILTY,  and he is paying my price.  Nothing I can do can ever pay my debt.

Im guilty and keep being guilty.  Being  a Christian has  not made me a better person, forgiven yes, but better? NO. I try, daily in fact, but its hard.  I still do dumb things, still say dumb things, still stumble over the same sins over and over.  Being a Christian has made me more AWARE of my failures.  For example, if your reference model for morality doesn’t include A,B C or D, then you do not have that as a standard.  I profess a certain standard to compare myself by and is pains me that I fall short of it every day.  Yes, HE forgives me, but I never forgive myself.

Mr Chick lives in the Joy and Freedom that Christ’s sacrifice gave him, but for me, sometimes I just cannot get over my humanity. I find it mildly amusing when I have written this blog over the last few years, I will write about certain subjects and I will be accused of “judging” others.  It is what it is, I report what I see, but I dont judge, I never want to be anybody’s judge and jury…as I am busy enough dealing with my own mess to really be worried about anybody elses.

I wish I had the answer…every year during this 4 week time it bubbles to the surface like a poison brew.

Life needs a giant undo button sometimes.

December 2, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

“Life needs a giant undo button sometimes.”

Does it ever. I wish I could have 2012 back.

Comment by Mark

December 4, 2013 @ 6:05 am

I ran across this quote a few weeks ago, which really impacted me. I too, carry a heavy sense of inadequacy which is hard to explain to others, but instantly recognizable to those who also carry the burden. Ponder these words over the next few weeks and try to embrace them. I found great freedom and comfort in this message:

“Nothing marks so much the solid advancement of a soul, as the view of one’s wretchedness without anxiety and without discouragement.”

Francois Fenelon

Comment by Plagakis

December 4, 2013 @ 7:18 am

Anyway, I love you, Chick. There are brief moments of clarity and peace within the linear conception of time that we can’t get away from. No language. No “thoughts”. Just images maybe. Some music. A warm feeling. You notice it when it is gone.
Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year
JP

Comment by pharmacyburnt/chief pharmanimal

December 4, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I want to thank you for writing this blog. Over the years I have laughed, shook my head in agreement, shared in the pharmacy babysitting position of my patients and the corporation I work for, and cried along with your loss. So for this I wish you, Mr Chick, and your 4 legged companions a happy holiday and a healthy new year. May 2014 prove 1 year closer to our retirement. It is then that we will hopefully only tend to needs important to us and those we love!

Comment by pharmacygal

December 4, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Pharmacy Chick,
What a wonderful testimony! You have not lost the spirit of Christmas at all. It is not about the stuff or the trappings. It is about the greatest gift of all-Christ Jesus our Lord. You have found the true meaning of the holiday. Also, sincere condolences on the loss of your furry family members. Pets are family too.

Comment by PharmacyJim

December 4, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

Chick, please know what a blessing you are to me. As a Christian, I too fall short daily. As I get older, I have been able to appreciate life more and am very thankful for each day…..albeit some days more than others, ha. Anyway, thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Christmas. God bless.

Comment by George

January 30, 2014 @ 9:42 am

‘When I think of “introspection” I think of an examination of my own thoughts and feelings.’

Where did you get that idea from? The dictionary? (Considering that’s the definition.)
George, I didn’t understand what your comment was about….was I incorrect in what “introspection” was… until I went to dictionary.com.
“observation or examination of one’s own mental and emotional state, mental processes, etc.; the act of looking within oneself. and what you are wondering is if I plagarized the dictionary?? No, George…just a weird coincidence. I do write my own stuff.