For the love of a dog

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 11:46 pm on Friday, November 8, 2013

If you don’t have pets, or understand why people love their pets like children, you might as well stop reading and move on today.  This post has nothing to do with pharmacy today.

.2010-11-25_11-52-52_418

I want you to meet my dogs.( Click on image to enlarge)  For the sake of privacy, I am calling them Thing 1 and Thing 2.  I love them with all my heart.  Mr chick and I dont have children.  We have Furbabies. They are my pride and joy.  For them I have spared no expense. Thing 1 is in my arms and Thing 2 is peeking at the camera.  Thing 1 hates the camera and when I take out the camera, she always turns away, where as 2 is a camera hog. She seems to love to have her picture taken.  In this picture, its Christmas day a few years ago. ( and yes, that is me) We were having a small discussion about 1 getting on the counter stealing cheese.   She promised she would never do it again. 2 wouldn’t make such a promise and steals food…but then again, 1 stole food again also so it was a wasted exercise, but I got to hug my pup so it was all ok.

Pretty much everything I have in my house has the dogs in mind.  the floor was tiled with a color that hides dirt because they have dirty feet, my furniture is dog friendly and when I buy clothes, I consider how it will handle dogs.  Its just the way it is.  When thing 2 got seriously ill last summer, we spent time at 2 vets and an animal hospital and over $3k getting her fixed.  She was worth every cent to me and she is perfectly fine now.  About a month ago Thing 1 started favoring her paws when she was running around.  We thought she stepped on something and was sore.   closer inspection showed her feet were rather raw and broken, so off we went to the vet to see whats up.  He decided she had some kind of paw skin infection and put her on antibiotics…which 5 days later showed no improvement whatsoever, so back to the vet we went again, but saw the senior partner in the vet firm this time ( as first vet was off).  Thing 1′s feet were crusty and bloody and she had sores developing on her bottom.  Something was wrong.

The vet didn’t say too much at first but he wanted to do a certain blood panel right away.  He looked at her feet, her sores, gave her different antibiotics and a score of other things to give her, apply on her body and soak in. He said he would call us.

The next day he called with the results:  her liver enzymes were way off for no particular reason.  He said he suspected a certain liver disease called hepatocutaneous syndrome: a rare and fatal condition, and the only reason he thought of it was because his own dog died from it several years ago, and Thing 1 had identical symptoms. I looked up this disease at home and fell ill just reading about it.  The photos were atrocious and the prognosis was grim.  He just had to be wrong.

He wanted an ultrasound to either confirm or deny the diagnosis, so we dropped 1 off at the vet in the am and went off to play golf, partly to get our mind off the situation and partly to enjoy the warm fall day. My phone rang on the 5th hole.  ” its Hepatocutaneous, I am so sorry”. I started sobbing on the tee box. My furbaby was dying. We left the course to collect her at the vet. As soon as I saw her I dropped to the floor and held her tight, trying not to touch her sore spots.

We soaked her wounds, we gave her all the meds, we tried high amino acid foods and gelatin to boost her liver. She took all of them dutifly even if reluctantly. She didn’t like taking pills and could find one small pill in a pile of meat and leave it behind, as clean as it was in the bottle. Finally we found sucess in liver sausage, the one food she still ate.   The plethora of antiobiotics stopped the oozing but couldn’t stop the process.  Her paws nearly doubled in size from the hyperkeratosis and the splits.  She walked so gingerly one might think she was walking on shards of glass.  it probably felt that way.  I bought her booties to pad her way.  I put Calmoseptine on her vulva to protect it and she squealed when I touched the sore spots.  She parked on the couch and never moved. When came home from work at night, she would be next to Papa and would wag her little butt but never rose to meet me.  She would lick the tears off my face…and there were many.

When I would play the piano, she would still pad her way over to my feet and lay there, sometimes quivering from the effort. I prayed.  I prayed some more.

Monday she refused all breakfast.  Even the liver wasnt worth the effort but for a few nibbles. She lay in the corner by the piano.  I laid on the floor next to her and just heaved sobs.  She placed her head on my hands. The light in her eyes had left her.  There was no more effort to be made to get up. I called Papa at work and told him my fears and he wanted to see if she might rally over night. Tuesday was more of the same so wednesday we made the awful decision to bring her to the feet of Jesus and give her back the the One who gave her to us.

We held her as she left, and for a long while after. I cried as I did when my mom died.   She was my baby girl. In just over 6 weeks we went from my romping, squirrel chasing, ball playing, waterloving escape artist to this.  Its not fair and I dont know why I had to lose her this way.

We will get her ashes in a week.  Her paw print, broken and split as it was is impressed in a clay tray as a gift.

My heart is broken. She forever has a piece of it with her over that Rainbow Bridge.

Bye bye sweet baby. May we meet again when I cross over my own rainbow bridge.

Comment by murgatr

November 9, 2013 @ 7:06 am

Chick, I am so sorry – pets are family too! Hugs to you & Mr. Chick.

murgatr
Pharm. Tech. RDC’06

Comment by A

November 9, 2013 @ 7:50 am

So sorry for your loss…. I do not have children and my furbabies are my babies. Allow yourself time to grieve. Losing a pet can be harder than losing a human because they love us unconditionally. (Hugs). Snuggle and love with your other dog and let him grieve with you too.

Comment by Petopa

November 9, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one.

Michael Franks, a jazz artist, wrote a beautiful song about the passing of his beloved dog Flora. It’s called Time Together and you can find it on Google or YouTube. You may wish to have a listen.

No doubt you’ve been a good mama to your baby. May you find peace and comfort during these difficult times.

Comment by Robin

November 9, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

I have big tears rolling down my cheeks. I know your baby will be waiting for you and wagging her tail.

Comment by Officer Cynical

November 9, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

I wish I could say I didn’t know how you feel.

Comment by Blanche

November 9, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

I am so so sorry.

Comment by rapnzl rn

November 9, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

My heart goes out to you. Our Furkids are the unconditional love of our collective lives.

Comment by bcmigal

November 10, 2013 @ 10:56 am

My heart aches for you. I went through a similar experience only a few weeks ago. You gave her all your love, including the last choice you made for her. Please take comfort in that.

Comment by Mick Gorman

November 10, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

I am so sorry. :-(
One of my babies died in July, he was too young and full of life to go.
You have done the right thing by writing about “Thing 1″ I have found that it helps ease the pain a little.

Comment by A-M

November 11, 2013 @ 7:16 am

I am so so sorry. Giving my dogs an extra hug today.

Comment by Murphy

November 11, 2013 @ 10:48 am

I am also a childless dog lover. I know there is nothing I can say to make it better, just hang in there, and hug Thing 2.

Comment by Ginger G

November 12, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

Aw, so sorry, I love my fur children too and it always hurts so much when that time comes.

Comment by Goose

November 14, 2013 @ 11:28 am

Chick,
I have loved dogs my whole life and currently have 3. They are my best friends. I do have othet friends and a wife, but none of them give me the unconditional love my pups do. (I do love my wife.)
They are always glad to see me and they turn a simple thing like a nightly walk into a joy and adventure.
People can’t be perfect but a good dog nearly is. Their flaws are minor compared with what people do to each other and if they act badly, likely a human has taught them how to do it.
I grieve with you as I have done with my dogs that I have lost over a lifetime and I pray for all the animals that are unloved to find that love in their next life, if not this one.
God bless you and Mr. Chick and may he comfort you.

Comment by KP

November 14, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

I know your pain because there are pieces of my heart waiting at the Rainbow Bridge too, the last one being about 3 years ago and I still have days when I miss her so much it aches. I offer my deepest condolences to you, Mr Chick, and Thing 2.
Thank you EVERYONE for your supportive comments. our pets live in our hearts forever.

Comment by pharmacyburnt

November 20, 2013 @ 8:22 am

We have been there too many times to count. We should all be so lucky as to choose the moment we leave the present and have those who love us, surround us and comfort us for our ultimate journey home. Condolences and sloppy kisses from all gods creatures.

Comment by just a reader

November 20, 2013 @ 10:54 am

I lost my beloved furbaby last week wednesday to a short and unexpected and uncurable illness. I literally can feel your pain and our house had been nothing but tears. Hugs to you!and my condolances to you too on the loss of your baby!!

Comment by janno

November 20, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

My most sincere condolences. I do have children and I also have dogs. I love them both; perhaps differently, but it’s definitely love – strong and true.

God Bless.

Comment by TomS

January 11, 2014 @ 5:55 am

Sorry for the late comment, haven’t been by your site for a while. Sitting at my desk at work sobbing and my coworkers must think I’m crazy and I don’t care. My heart is breaking for you. I helped my best four-legged friend on his journey the same as you did with your friend and I understand what you’re going through. He was my very best friend and I miss him still.
I hope you find some comfort knowing that my friend is playing with your friend at the Rainbow Gate, waiting patiently for the two of us to come and see them again.
Bless you. Take care.Thank you!

Comment by Jade

January 18, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

When my family’s sweet Babushka left us last spring, she did her best to help us through it as she could, even at the end, as she’d done for the past eleven years she’d spent caring for us.

Comment by jeff

March 1, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

You brought back my tears over my dog. Cocoa. Gone for almost a year.They leave such a hole dont they?