More Thanksgiving entertainment…

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 9:49 pm on Saturday, November 24, 2012

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving day, eating fun foods, pie etc… I was fortunate not to have to cook the bird ( hence little mess in my own house). I brought a few side dishes, packed the car and headed to a friend’s house.  A few weeks prior to the “big day” my friend had made some conversational reference to a movie I had no knowledge about and he was surprised that I hadn’t seen the movie ( hence didn’t understand his reference).  He decided that I was going to see this movie and he nexflix-ed it to his house for our viewing pleasure after dinner.

Well, after viewing this movie I can say with certainty that it was 2 hours of my life I wish I could claim back.  The movie? Monty Python and the search for the Holy Grail…my review?  the biggest waste of cinematic celluloid I have ever blown 2 hours of my life on.  I kept waiting for a plot.  It wasn’t forthcoming.  I was waiting for some humor…(ho hum).

In fact I will share with you the only piece of humor I found in the entire piece..and I had to wait early to the end to get it:

The scripture of the Holy Hand Grenade:

…And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, “O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.” And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu… [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to “skip a bit, brother”]… And the LORD spake, saying, “First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.”[1] ( courtesy of Wikipedia.org)

( how many ways can you say ” count to 3)…I found very amusing in that sometimes that is how I have to speak to get thru the thick heads of my customers only to have to start over again…

Dont waste your time watching the movie to just see this scene…I am sure youtube has the scene.  Truly, its about the only part worth viewing!

Comment by Eileen

November 25, 2012 @ 2:07 am

Monty Python was cult when I was at university in Scotland. I never really got it either – OH and his mates all did so I suspect it’s a man thing.

Comment by Bob

November 25, 2012 @ 4:09 am

Yeah, you yanks really don’t get proper comedy.

Which explains the drivel your country churs out.

Don’t worry, we don’t.I guess I dont get British humor, but I agree, 99% of the stuff we make is complete drivel!

Comment by Gwen

November 25, 2012 @ 6:05 am

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is not a “Man” thing at all. It is the best of British humor. I think if you did not get it, then you do not get most British humor. I like Monty Python. Their comedy is classic and golden. I am a female and have loved Monty Python since I first got to see it in High School. Back in the ’80s. Hilarious and incredibly wry. Just my two cents worth here. Hope you have a good Sunday PC.

Comment by pat

November 25, 2012 @ 11:47 am

not only have i “wasted” time watching it once, i have watched it many times. HILARIOUS!! and agree with gwen, not a man thing. sundays monty python’s flying circus was mandatory tv viewing.( head scratch). Perhaps I need to be inebriated, British or Both to appreciate that movie I guess!

Comment by ugaprof

November 26, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

I think it’s a funny movie but could have been done in about 5 minutes.

Comment by Hypatia

November 30, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Don’t worry, I never found any of the Monty Python sketches funny, and I DO generally like British humour. I tried sitting through those movies more than once and just.did.not.get.it. I mean, I certainly understood what was SUPPOSED to be funny— it just WASN’T. meh. No big loss.

Funniest movie I’ve ever seen? “Noises Off”- but you may have to be a theater geek to truly appreciate that one.

Comment by Eileen

December 3, 2012 @ 8:59 am

Umm – as a native born Brit and one who does get the vast majority of UK humour I think I am entitled to disagree with your comment Gwen. OTOH, Hypatia hits the nail on the head: I knew what was MEANT to be funny – I didn’t find it so but I cried buckets with laughter at “Life of Brian”

Comment by Jade

December 22, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

The way I see British humor being funny, is that it’s amusing watching Brits try to come off as being funny, when it’s really the stereotypical attempt that is hilariously worked over. Pranking, funny types. Dino and Jerry’s type of comedy skits.