Nervous waiting.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:01 pm on Saturday, September 8, 2012

Nobody would ever accuse PC of being an impatient person.  I am pretty laid back, and I have a firm understanding that the world doesnt ( and will never) revolve around me. That doesn’t mean that I love waiting for stuff, but I grasp the concept very well and I dont make people’s life miserable.

That being the case, I have had a rather long three weeks of my life.

I felt it and chose to ignore it for a while.  If you ignore something long enough it goes away right?  Not exactly.  On the outside of my right breast was a lump…large enough to be seen from the outside of my sports bra if I raised my arms over my head.  After contemplation for several days I finally fessed up and told Mr Chick who wigged out and wanted me to get into a doctor immediately.   I told him not to worry, I will.  We agreed to not speak of it to any of our family or friends. I only told my boss, whose wife had breast cancer a few years earlier.

I had to wait one week to get in and when I told them I had a lump that I would like to have needled, they said I have to have an exam first….and I said I already know I have the lump….why waste resources and time with just an exam?   Tough titties….( bad pun) thats the rule….so I scheduled the exam….which upon arrival was exactly what I had suspected:  ( knead knead…yup you have a lump…lets schedule a needle biopsy next week).

It should be told that I use humor to diffuse tension in my life.  Its just the way I am.  When I get into a situation that I have tension or fear, I pull out all the jokes.  I told Mr Chick that if I kicked off early that his new wife had to get her own golf clubs..and that my epitaph should read  ” She was pissed she had to leave after only 9 holes!”  A lot of things passed thru my head during that week,  its completely natural to think thru every scenario  to its completion…who wouldn’t?    One thing I knew for sure, I was dreading being  a patient…I hate the entire medical process…its impersonal and frustrating at best…and I want nothing of it! Mr Chick was quietly contemplative.

I managed to work it out so I could be seen early enough for my biopsy so I could golf afterwards.  I certainly wasn’t going to give up a day of golf to sit in a doctors office. I do have priorities! I had to go to a different ( and older) clinic location for this visit and the room was as tiny as a closet and several degrees too cold for a woman with no shirt on.

The doc and assistant maneuvered me into the position they wanted.  He asked me if I was nervous and I told him ” No, but I am freezing…can’t you afford heat in this place?” I laughed. He told me to turn away and I would feel the stick and he would draw up a sample. It wasn’t as bad as I figured…after all I have never had a needle thrust into my boobie before.  I think it was less pain than a flu shot honestly….hey maybe that could be a alternate site…um, no probably not.

When it was all said and done, the doc showed me the barrel of the syringe filled with a light caramel colored  translucent liquid. “YUUUK” I said, and he said it was exactly what he hoped it would be. He said it was probably just a fluid filled cyst but it was going off to pathology and the results would arrive in several days.

I am happy to report that I was one happy Pharmacy chick when the office called and it WASNT the doc on the phone. If the news was going to be bad, he wouldn’t have an office staff call me.  Biopsy Negative.

I still have the lump. Its devoid of most of its fluid, but its still there, but no fear..no anxiety….and I plan to play all of lifes 18 holes after all!

Comment by Tracy

September 9, 2012 @ 4:48 am

I recently had a visit with the endocrinologist, who spent an inordinate amount of time silently doing an ultrasound on my thyroid before finally announcing that she saw a suspicious nodule on the thyroid, plus a nearby swollen lymph node. The period between hearing this news and getting the biopsy results back was tough. I was lucky, though. Everything came back negative. Congratulations on being lucky, too. It’s the best feeling in the world.agreed!

Comment by Frantic Pharmacist

September 9, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

So glad that everything is OK. Had to wait out a ‘second look’ at a mammogram once and it was the longest weekend of my life. I don’t think I would have been able to summon the humor that you did!

Comment by Katrina

September 9, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

Glad to hear! =)

Comment by Pharmacy Jim

September 9, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

I am both thankful and happy for you.

Comment by Bill

September 9, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

I am happy that things went well.

Comment by Shawn

September 9, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

Very glad to hear the reults were negative. My mom dealt with the lumps that were gunk filled cysts for years before she passed away (of something else not cancer. Freaked her out every time.

Comment by Jon

September 10, 2012 @ 11:46 am

Glad you are well. I use humor like that, too. Had some surgery last year and had a Foley catheter. “Nurse! Someone has tied my penis to the bed!” It lightens the mood a lot.

Comment by Jenny

September 10, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Congratulations on the good news!

I feel the urge to point out that if you were a cat or dog that you would have been examined within a day or two, the sample obtained during your visit, results within 3-7 days, and would have been 1/10 of the cost. I love being a vet. It’s a lot less frustrating for me and for my clients (although some people b*tch no matter what you do).

Comment by Karen

September 11, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Hooray!!! It is MUCH harder to be the patient. Thanking God for the great news. Life is just a little sweeter for the waiting – but I hate it!

Comment by Jason DeVillains

September 15, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Whew.. scary situation. I’m very happy for you.

Comment by PharmD Blogger

September 29, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Great to hear you are okay! Conditions and afflictions that happen to our body that are not supposed to always seem to be scary. I loved the humor that you used in the post. You have some great jokes. That is a great way to cope with life’s stresses and complications.

Comment by Jade

November 5, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

Thanks for letting us know. Stay well and well away from doctors.