The Pharmacy Chick

Flying the coup in retail

My furry patient

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 9:46 am on Monday, July 9, 2012

The earthly loves of Pharmacy Chick’s life are her husband, her dogs and playing golf.  Oh yea, there are other things, but those are the top three.  Last week I came home from work and our houseguest ( good timing) said ” boy, somebody sure has been sick outside, there is poo and vomit everywhere”.  Not having any sickness lately I had no idea what she was referring to, but of my 3 dogs, one had a more sensitive stomach than the others so I had my suspicions WHO it might be.  PLUS, being the amazing detective that I am, the one dog who was curled up on the couch ignoring all was the dead give away.

Since my houseguest was so polite and cleaned up the yard I didn’t have anything to look at so I got Dog-2 off the couch and attempted to get her to potty outside.  She wandered around a bit then obliged for me.  By then, she had no more food to poo so the shining liquid that came from her freaked me out….pure blood.  My baby girl was hemorrhaging.

To make a very long story short, we went to  our vet ( ‘sorry, we are closing in 15 minutes..go to night vet”)..the night vet ( ” we got her stable–but we are only night vet..she needs more care”) back to regular vet ( ” she needs special care..and a transfusion..send her to ICU VET”) …to ICU vet and finally back home.

Each place had a different take on why my dog was bleeding everywhere.  One thing was for sure: she had nearly ZERO platelets.  First night vet thought Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. Day vet thought poison ( which I knew was wrong..we had no slug bait or rat bat at our home).  The ICU VET nailed it after 2 days in intensive care.

ITP:  Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia.  My baby has developed an auto-immune disorder and she is attacking her own platelets.  Having had one dog with sever auto immune disorders, I can tell you that I didn’t want another one.

well, so much for that.  I have one.

Pills, bloodwork, more pills, more blood work.

The human patient you can at least explain the importance of taking all the meds.  The canine patient doesn’t understand.  She hates her pills and unless one is very creative in hiding them she can find and spit them out.  They make her feel lousy. BUT they are her live saver. ( and PillPockets are my lifesavers)

One week later she is doing somewhat better.  Still not 100% energy level, but at least her blood work is improving.  We will have a long road to recovery and I hope to get her tapered off the high doses of steroids she is on right now. Poor thing never sleeps on all that prednisone!

Thank goodness for wonderful vets!

9 Comments »

Comment by Maridyth

July 9, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

I’m so sorry you (and she) have had to go through this! It’s never easy to have a “fur baby” who’s not feeling well! We just had to put our sweet little parakeet down a few weeks ago due to an unrecoverable illness. I’m still wrecked over it. Yes, you’re right..thank goodness for wonderful vets! 🙂 I hope your little angel gets to feeling better soon!

Comment by Officer Cynical

July 9, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

I know how much my dogs mean to me. Best of luck with yours.

Comment by Jill

July 9, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

I am a vet in southern Ohio. ITP is no fun at all. The pred will most likely be long term but ask about azathioprine…may be able to decrease the pred dose by adding this. Good luck…hopefully your dog will be okthanks, she is currently on prednisone AND azathioprine. they also tossed in some metronidazole for a while and some famotidine for the tummy.
Welcome aboard. i didnt’ know I had any vet readers!

Comment by Jenny

July 9, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

PillPockets are the bomb. Glad that your furry baby is on the mend. ITP can be pretty scary.

Comment by Me

July 9, 2012 @ 7:39 pm

So sorry to hear this. Hope your pup feels better soon and adapts well. Best wishes!

Comment by JS

July 10, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Oh dear PC, I am so sorry about your puppy. I know how much you (and Mr. PC) love your animals. That had to be very scary for you both. I hope that he’s feeling better very soon and back to chasing squirrels, tracking mud into your house and getting into all the things he shouldn’t! Please keep us posted! Can you hide the pills in a piece of cheese or a grape (my dad’s Corgis’ loved grapes and it was the only way one of the pups would take her daily meds)? Take care!

Comment by Jill

July 10, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

This comment is for JS…..DO NOT Give Grapes. Grapes (and therefore, raisins) cause kidney failure in dogs! Cheese, Peanut Butter, pill pockets are great for meds….try the cheese in a can.

Comment by EM

July 10, 2012 @ 7:17 pm

My dog has the same disorder. It was discovered when we saw bruises on his tummy. No serious bleeding though. After a long taper of many months he is down to 1.25 mg of pred every other day and Q6 month platelet checks. Now that he is stable pred and Pepcid are cheap so it is not so bad. She will be feeling better soon I am sure.

Comment by Pharmd blogger

August 25, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

That is crazy! I didn’t even know dogs could have such a thing. It does make sense though. ITP, immune mediated thrombocytopenia, doesn’t happen very often, but when it does. Watch out! I hope your dog gets better. My 8 pound Maltese would have probably died!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>