The HI-light of the day

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 4:44 pm on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Several months ago, Pharmacy chick started to do something.  I made no announcements of my intentions and so far, nobody except one person has noticed it.  I started to say HI.

What?  Hi?  So what….you might say.  Actually I started to make sure I said HI to every customer I knew by name.  Even if it was across the pharmacy,  I would make myself known to THAT person  ” HI STAN!” .. HI Mr Schuster!”  whatever…sometimes it might initiate a conversation, but most of the times, it has been just a greeting and an acknowledgement that I know that a certain person is there.

I think it is important to acknowledge people, even if I am not the one actually waiting on them…because most of the time I am not.  I may counsel them, but I generally not the one who will ring them up for their refill purchases.

Last Saturday, we had a relief tech working.  I went about my daily routine, and it HAS become  a routine for me, saying HI to everybody I know reasonably well.  After a few hours the tech said…'”geez Chick, do you say HI to EVERYBODY??”  and I responded  “Well, yes I do actually.  They need to know that I know they are there”.

We are never too busy to say Hello.  With all the e-communications that we do now days…txt…email..Facebook…voice messaging… a simple HELLO is that physical connection that says  ” I notice you..and I acknowledge you”.

I have noticed that a lot of my newer transfer customers are getting to know me by first name faster.  I notice that some of my crumudgeons aren’t so cranky. and I notice that I have fewer issues with customers at the counter.  Coincidence?  Who knows.

But I can say that ANYthing we can do to develop and improve people relationships are a good thing…Try it and see 🙂

Comment by Jodi

January 25, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

I love this idea of saying Hi to everyone you know. It makes a good or mediocre day even better to have someone say hi to me. I like to be acknowledged in some form or another. Kudos my dear for starting what might become a trend in your store! Keep up the good work and good things will come your way!

Comment by Diggher

January 26, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

A couple years ago I started making sure say “Hi, how are you?” when I spoke with anyone, particularly on the phone or running errands. It was something I had noted when I moved south, and it seemed like a good behavior to emulate. And, as you mentioned, I did notice a difference in interactions. Asking “how are you doing today?” with a pause to actually listen for an answer seems to pleasantly surprise people in customer service, and I’ve noted positive changes in demeanor and vocal tone in response. So, I think the change isn’t a coincidence and I think its wonderful you’re making people’s days a little brighter. Who knew a little recognition could make the day brighter for so many people?

Comment by Christie

January 26, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

I love my pharmacy staff…HUGE shout out to Eric, Marshall, and the rest of the group 🙂
I love when I happen to be in Target to buy anything else, walk by the pharmacy, and have Eric say Hello or “hope you’re feeling better” a few days after I’ve picked up an antibiotic script. Even though I could get my scripts cheaper by mail away, or getting them at the hospital I work at. But I love my pharmacist and wouldn’t consider going anywhere else!

Comment by TECHnically Insane

January 26, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

This is soooo important in my pharmacy. Esp. to my older customers. It really makes their day. Good for you chick. It really might be the only positive interaction some people have all day.

Comment by Jade

January 27, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Eye contact is important, too, if there is not an issue with it.

An honest (genuine) smile fits the bill, too. I know that my son felt well, his smile could warm the cockles of one’s heart.

I work in a hospital beyond the front desk, and when someone comes in at the front door, if I’m not deep in thought, I like to look up and greet the person at the door. People like to be acknowledged that they have come in person.

There was an old telephone trick, too, in adjusting one’s voice for pleasantry. Take a second to smile when picking up the receiver (or whatever is done in answering the phone).

On the other hand, some paranoid people I know, found it disconcerting, and asked me rather sourly what I was smiling about. I leave that issue for them to sort out for themselves.

I can’t get into the ‘good morning welcome to mcdonald’s how can i … today’ though.

Comment by JS

January 27, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

I love this post, PC! I make it a point to say, “Hello,” to people as often as I can. If I am walking down an aisle @ the store and pass someone, I will smile and say, “Hello!” Sometimes I get a look of complete shock, or horror (like I was a nut), a nod in return and sometimes someone will even say, “Hello,” back! What has happened to us as a society that people don’t acknowledge one another anymore, hold a door, say excuse me when they accidentally knock into you? I feel like simple common courtesies have gone out the window. Not too long ago I was in line @ the store. I had 15 or so items and the person behind me had two (children’s Tylenol & Pedialyte Popsicles); obviously a sick child @ home) and all the lines were 5+ deep so I let the customer behind me step ahead! If looks could kill, I am certain I would not be leaving you this comment right now! The person behind was angry that I let the person behind me go before me! She herself had an over flowing cart and her companion had a basket for what didn’t fit inside! She was furious that I let the women between us, with two items go ahead. So once I had my things settled on the belt I turned around and said, “Just as soon as I can get the divider I will grab it for you, but in the meantime let me scoot my stuff up a bit more so you can start unloading your cart (all the while with a smile on my face)! I was having a very bad day! My friend was waiting for me, I was in excruciating pain, we had just got some VERY BAD news that my brother’s cancer showed metastases to his brain and that he was no longer showing NED @ the original spot! Not to mention I had a back pack with a bag of Vivonex and IV Fluids with tubing attached to my PICC LINE and Feeding Tube! Despite all of that, I still made an effort to be pleasant and treat others how I would like to be treated because I have no idea what that other person may have going on in their own life. But in this case, there was just no pleasing this women and her shopping buddy! That’s not to say that I don’t get upset sometimes too. My point is that this type of behavior from adults seems to be the norm! What has happened to us as a society? If everyone made a conscious effort to say, “Hello, good Morning, how are you, can I help you with that, let me get the door for you, etc.,” just once a day, maybe things would be different! Or are my expectations of others too high? Is the problem not as bad as I perceive it to be? Or am I just getting to old (strike the last thought, please)? Sorry about the ramble! I am just having one of “those” kind of days! Have a great weekend, PC!

Comment by Jaded RPh

January 28, 2012 @ 9:36 am

I do this all the time. It acknowledges the patient, and in situations when the tech is not at the register it’s a signal for one of them to step over to help out. The patient feels welcomed, is served quicker, and walks away happy.

One simple word has amazing benefits!

Comment by pill slinger

January 31, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

Great, buttttttt
I can just see some middle manager out there reading this today, eating at MOE’s tonight and tomorrow we have a new program pushed down to us, every time a person comes up to the pharmacy register we have to yell, “ Hi, welcome to chickvile pharmacy.”DANG! you are right..an unintended consequence of my blogging! Blame me! LOL