Preferential Holidays

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 4:32 pm on Thursday, January 5, 2012

Since we just had two of them, I thought I would launch into a personal burr in my butt pet peeve: preferential holidays.   If you are a government employee you know exactly what I mean.  AND, I suppose if you work in a lot of private sectors that copy the govt holidays, you also know what I mean. BUT if you are a retail worker like myself, you might feel a little hosed.

The preferential holiday is the one where the REAL holiday falls on a day where you may already be closed so the blessed few get both the real holiday AND a fake holiday off the next day. This year Christmas Day and New Year’s Day fell on a Sunday.  Therefore the privileged got both the Holiday and the next Monday off.  No mail, no banks, etc.

Pharmacy chick worked both of those days because they were Monday.  PC pharmacy is open on mondays…each and every one of the year unless Xmas day falls on a Monday.  We are open 363 days a year: closed only on Thanksgiving day and Xmas day.  And getting paid for a holiday is a tricky feat itself.  For some reason I don’t understand ( perhaps they are delusional and think we CLOSE every holiday of the year like THE OFFICE DOES) They assume we work 32 hours and get 8 hours of holiday pay.  Therefore, when we work our regular 40 ( because we are open) we have to submit special forms for holiday weeks.  This always seems to create an issue.

I can speak with authority on this issue because I have lived both sides.  My father was a govt employee.  That man got holidays I have never heard of. ” Dad, why are you home today?”.  ” Because its Newt Holmgrem day“.  ” Who is Newt Holmgrem?”  ” I dunno, but we get paid for it“.  ( My apologies if there really is a Newt Holmgrem..I totally made this up).  On the flip side of the story was my mother, an operating room nurse.  Injury doesn’t take a holiday so if she got the call at 8 am Christmas day that a car accident was coming in,  she was out the door.

But Really?  Do non emergency services, corporate offices and the like really need to take an EXTRA day off from work JUST because the holiday was on Sunday?  Personally, I don’t think so.  We were all working on Dec 26 and Jan 2.  Could we reach anybody in the office if somebody was sick? and IT issue?  a customer issue? a legal issue? NOPE….closed.  Personally, I’d like to see a bit of equality. Speaking to our corporate office:  if YOU get the day off, then I should.  if your stores are open, then YOU should be.  We are also open on Labor day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, and you can bet every phone rings to voice mail if you call the office on THOSE days too.

Now I shall step off my soap box…for now.

Comment by Michelle in Colorado

January 5, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

I work in Biomed at a hospital. I had to call GE and some other companies and they were closed Dec 23-27. They not only got Monday off but Tuesday and Friday as well. yea, I called Merck to get some more diluent and they were closed all week I think. I called them last week and every message said ” closed til Jan 3″.

Comment by chrissie

January 5, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

totally hear you on this. my store is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. while yes, we are open, we don’t get orders, our delivery service is closed and the doctors are closed. makes for a challenging couple of days.

Comment by TECHnically Insane

January 5, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

Your points are very valid! We were the lucky ones this year, and I was a super lucky duck as my day off is on Tuesdays. So no complaints from me. Sorry you got hosed PC, you deserved some holiday cheer.

T

Comment by Kat

January 5, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

I feel your pain. I was at work AND didn’t get any holiday pay for it. It was monday, but the suits weren’t in for the day, and got holiday pay for it. Such is life in customer service part time.

Comment by bcmigal

January 6, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Usually if there is a paid holiday, the scheduler will make us take another day off so that we do not get paid more than 40 hours. Fortunately, he was also on vacation and forgot! But I am sure we will have to make up for it later in the year.

Comment by Jade

January 6, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

It was my weekend to work, well, actually there are two of us in the pharmacy and since I got Christmas off last year it was my holiday to work, but this year sucked. I’m the part-timer and worked both Christmas Eve day and Christmas day skeleton crew which were supposed to be half-days, but we were really busy, and then holiday pay was for those working on Monday! Oh well.

Comment by PhxRph

January 6, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Kat-my company is doing the exact same thing-giving you an extra day off instead of the full 80 hours plus holiday pay! I think that’s crazy-it’s my normal day off, just give me the extra money 😉

Comment by Ramblings of a Pharmacist

January 8, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

Yep, our office was closed too on both Mondays, must be nice… Long time follower of your blog, thank you for all your work! Finally got a blog of my own, thank you for being the inspiration, Pharmacy Chick!congrats! and welcome to the blogsphere!!