Occupy THIS

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 5:14 pm on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pharmacy Chick isn’t the most political of people in the world but she does have an opinion.  I don’t tend to share my opinions unless asked and Ill never shove it down anybody elses throat.  In the wake of  Occupy ” everything”, I did want to share this:

Dear Occupiers..Or 99%, whatever you wish to be called.  I wanted to thank you for all that you have done for my particular city.  In the wake of all our budget issues, we really needed all that overtime charged to the city government for the extra police needed to make sure that the peace was held as you ” occupied” my city.  I also wanted to extend my gratefulness to how you rallied all those non contributing members of society, the drunks, the street kids, the pan-handlers, etc. They really needed another excuse to demand more hand outs.  Mostly, I wanted to tell you how lovely the park is now that you have left your “occupation”.   Tons of trash to pick up, heaps of garbage, rotting food, dirty clothes, broken tents, tarps, etc.  It really adds some character to what used to be just a boring park with bushes, plants, fountains and acres of grass, very little of which remain.  I have no doubt that the mud will eventually sprout grass again, but in the mean time, provides such a nice surface for all the city maintenance workers to clean up all of your litter.  It was such an interesting concept, this occupation.  I mean, gee whiz, sitting around, doing nothing, for weeks on end making a mess was really useful in changing the corporate culture.  I mean, I am a totally changed individual…

No wait..I am not changed…Im LATE…for WORK…Sorry I forgot, You dont know ” work ” do you.  Sorry about that.  Maybe Next time.

Comment by Adam

November 15, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Committed radicals/Progressives like JP and David Stanley will not appreciate your mockery of dirty hippies, Communists, revolutionaries, rapists, and Anti-Semites. Or as Communist Van Jones calls them, “the best among us.”

But yes, the pitiful hippies must go home and let polite society resume. Ironically enough, the unemployment rate in the NYC commune was 15%, so they have jobs for the most part, far more than I had expected with their Marxist language.

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

November 15, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

I’m surprised the mayors of these towns let these occupy efforts go on as long as they have already. And as you pointed out the efforts to keep the peace and clean up the occupied areas become big drains on money and resources. For those involved in these efforts I think the core battle was the haves verses the have nots. But America is turning into a country of contributors verses non-contributors. That is the real social divide splitting this country.

Comment by Chip

November 16, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

So the poor gets money and it’s called “hand outs”, when the rich gets tax breaks it’s so that they can create jobs or they deserve it. Occupy is dumb in a lot of respects, but it’s pretty much crap when corporations own our politicians.

Comment by Zetta

November 16, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

I’m sure the folks in the south in the 50’s and 60’s probably said the same things about the civil rights protesters. Perhaps you should examine your privilege a little bit and have some compassion. Oh, and take a look at some of the faces of wall street. They might surprise you.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/galleries/2011/10/23/portraits-of-the-occupy-wall-street-protesters-photos.htmlNot impressed.Im not taking the side of bankers, but sitting in a park for a month making a mess of the city isn’t accomplishing either. If you do not have any money or are under a pile of debt, its probably because you didn’t get a useful education, or made some poor money decisions. I stand by my post. What did they accomplish? how is their situation better?

Comment by PHARMOCIST

November 16, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I STILL don’t know what the message is from this group, just as I don’t know what the message of 9/11 was, except “destroy.”welcome to the blogsphere! start writing and i’ll add you to my roll!

Comment by wellillbe

November 16, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

I think a few of the”demands” on their manifesto are worthwhile, however you loose all credibility when you cant even clean up after yourself.

Comment by Zetta

November 17, 2011 @ 7:55 am

“Not impressed.Im not taking the side of bankers, but sitting in a park for a month making a mess of the city isn’t accomplishing either. If you do not have any money or are under a pile of debt, its probably because you didn’t get a useful education, or made some poor money decisions. I stand by my post. What did they accomplish? how is their situation better?”

Perhaps you aren’t taking the side of the bankers, perhaps you are. What are you doing to help the mess we are in? From reading your blog, I can see how you might have a negative view of society and people in general. I don’t envy you the people and policies that you have to cope with every day.
It’s difficult to make poor money decisions when you have none and have no way of making any or making any more than you already are. “Poor people make poor decisions” is an easy trope to repeat until you do some reading and find that many of these people are not ne’er do wells. They are hardworking people who got blindsided by corporations.

Many of them never had the opportunities that you and apparently your circle did. It’s easy to sit at the top of the heap and say that the folks underneath are just not working hard enough.
Yes, there are always people who don’t want to work. But that occurs in every strata of society. Most people will do whatever they must to make a living. The problem right now is that there is no living to be made for so many because there are no jobs. Yet, corporations and banks are sitting on more cash than at any time in recent history.
And as far as accomplishing something, I don’t think they’re done yet. The movement appears to be growing and transforming. It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Comment by Mr. Bullish

November 17, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

It’s understandable that you are angry at the way people are treating the park, or rather on a larger scale, representing themselves. However, it is not fair that you undermine the concept of the movement and the people. The people protesting have been pushed down for far too long. Wealth, for the top one percent, has increased by four hundred percent in the past thirty years. However, the income of the of the 99%, or more appropriately the lower and middle income classes, has been stagnated with little growth (in fact, when numbers are adjusted for inflation, there has been a decline). Anyways, you have probably heard all of the statistics of the movement, but that’s not the point. It’s just the statement you made (“Sorry I forgot, You dont know ” work ” do you. Sorry about that. Maybe Next time”), it’s outrageous.Well thanks for clearing all that up for me. I didn’t realize that the tens of thousands of protestors were using their accrued vacation time to spend 2 months standing in the park chained to garbage cans and trees, blocking the streets and harrassing the local businesses nearby whose income was teetering on disaster because nobody wanted to go near. I appreciate the info. Please note, that I respect your opinion, I just clearly do not share it.

Comment by What's That

November 18, 2011 @ 9:59 am

“all those non contributing members of society, the drunks, the street kids, the pan-handlers, etc. They really needed another excuse to demand more hand outs
Spoken like a true Christian. Maybe we need to get rid of the tax breaks for Religion? They always want handoutsI have strong compassion that I back up with action for those unable to help themselves. I don’t have as much for those who won’t. And that’s the last I will say on that subject.

Comment by Chip M.

November 20, 2011 @ 8:16 am

Last night I was arrested for protesting by staying in a state park after a ‘curfew’ imposed just after the local occupy movement started. I work full time. While waiting for the state police to arrest us, I spent some of my time picking up the park and I wasn’t the only one.

It’s easy to dismiss a movement because of the actions of a few members of the movement. The principle that most ‘occupiers’ seemed to agree with is that the fairness in American society is breaking down. Social inequality is at an all time high, many laws are written by the companies and individuals they are supposed to police, and we’ve lived through a multi-year bad economy due in large part to systematic rollbacks of banking regulations.