One of my better retorts!

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:06 pm on Monday, September 19, 2011

Its monday and its flu shot season.  Enough said…we are friggin busy. Along with all the other NORMAL crap we do, we are also adding drop in flu  shots into the foray.

I had this LOL (little old lady) with nothing else to do waiting for her flu shot.  I put her in the queue with all the others and she had to wait approx 15 minutes, which is normal for a monday.  She poked her head into my door and huffed ” am I ready yet?”  and the tech said “just a couple more minutes”.  There are at least 6-8 people milling around the pharmacy area waiting for something. Its CLEARLY a busy place.

I get to her shot basket and head to the wait room. ” Good!  I am sure tired of waiting for this flu shot”. she retorted.  Non plussed ( because I was snarky today) I said ” Well, Louise,  I am tired of working my butt off in this pharmacy today, wanna trade?”

It worked like a charm.  She made a well timed attitude adjustment, I gave her the shot and we left as friends.

Comment by murgatr

September 20, 2011 @ 2:26 am

Well said! I remember lots of customers asking me (when it’s obviously busy) if their Rx is ready yet. My response after the 500th time would be: Would you like it done fast or would you like it done right?

murgatr
Pharm Tech RDC’06

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

September 20, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Sick of waiting for a flu shot?

Ma’am (speaking to your customer, PC), surely you recall the days, not too long ago, when you had to MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DOCTOR TO GET THIS SERVICE! Nowadays, you can simply pop in to almost any pharmacy and get one for the asking (and, I presume, a fee). I’d say that you should be grateful instead of impatient! And, although this sadly remains a hard sell, Ma’am, you should be grateful that a pharmacist is there to save you from possibly life-threatening medication misadventures. She has probably done so for you a few times, and you didn’t know it. Don’t let the gaudy, bawdy end caps in the store fool you, because they belong to the circus in the front store, while, from the moment you step up to the pharmacy counter, you have left the sales floor and have arrived at a professional healthcare clinic.

Comment by Jenny

September 20, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

dude, it’s “queue”

Comment by pharmacychick

September 20, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

Thanks.

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

September 20, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Good one PC. I really think some people don’t realize how insensitive they are being to the pharmacy staff until they are called out on it or someone makes a comment back at them. Sometimes people are simply jerks. But other times I think people are just clueless!

Comment by Kyle

September 21, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

Nice. I think you handled that beautifully.

Comment by Wrong Aid

September 24, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

Just make sure to hit bone. Won’t happen again. I promise.

Comment by pharmacychick

September 25, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

funny, but if you hit bone, they never know…there are no nerve endings…Ive hit bone a lot of time on tiny people and they never know..the trick is not to flinch yourself…its kinda weird
the first time you do it.

Comment by phxrph

September 26, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

I had one earlier-2 husband & wife couples-in Az your name goes in as the prescriber-I helpded couple #1, other rph helped couple 2. Technically, since my name is on couple 1- I have to give them the shots & they were there 1st anyway. Lady in couple 2 starts getting snarky at me waving her finger-did you forget about us! Nope-not at all-I’m not on the var so I’m not the one giving the shot! And this year we have to do kids 7 and up!