Dont be a Dick

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:08 am on Monday, September 19, 2011

Meet Dick and Jane.

Dick is not a nice man.

See Dick yell at my Tech because his Dr hasn’t oked his refills.

See Tech listen to Dick yelling

Dick says he will go to another pharmacy.

Tech offers to transfer his prescriptions.

Dick yells some more, then stomps off.

This is a scenario that plays itself out often in a pharmacy.  Be it a Tom, Dick or Harry,  we are often receive the brunt of people yelling at us because of something either a doctor’s office DID or DIDN’T do.  Frankly I am sick of it.  Nobody works that refill box harder than we do.  I think I want to try a new approach.

I am going to ask the patient  ” How is this problem going to be solved?”  Its time to make them think of the answer.  You see, I already know their first response will be ” call them again”, and I already have that answer:  DONE THAT ALREADY.    We document every call and fax time we do… and we do it every 24 hours.

I can ask.  I cannot and will not DEMAND.  I will fill only those rx’s that I have the legal auth to fill.  If you are a patient, remember this.  YOU have the business relationship with the dr. I dont.  You pay his salary, I dont.   You dont like something he/she did or didn’t do?  CALL THEM YOURSELVES!

Dont be a Dick.

Comment by Frantic Pharmacist

September 19, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I have become incredibly sick of this too. And since we have doctor’s offices in our building, people are incredulous that we just can’t ‘walk over’ and ask their doctor for the refill. I have no hesitation in putting the ball back in their court — YOU call them, YOU whine to them, and YOU explain why you allowed yourself to run completely out of medication!!

Comment by RxMomma

September 19, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

Preach it sista!

Comment by kathleen w

September 20, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

AMEN!

Comment by DrFrank

September 20, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

I hear you!

#1 no one yells at my tech! I stop them right away, it is not my fault, would you like to use my phone to call the doc because they are not responding to me. And if you yell at them just like you did my staff I guarantee you are not going to get anywhere. And if you keep acting like that to me I will be hard pressed to move any faster than I have to.

#2 You want to go to another pharmacy, guess what, it won’t be there either, you will have to wait even longer. Still want to go; I will print you a map so you don’t get lost (I have done it too!)

I have only lost my cool 3 times and “went off” on a patient yelled and kicked them out and told them to never come back based on the way they treated my staff. I got an applause each and every time from my staff and the patients waiting and watching. Trust me it takes a lot to get me there!

Comment by KLinzyH

September 22, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Just had a really great experience on vacation, accidentally ran short of an important med, and had no refills. With very helpful coordination my home pharmacist and a grocery store pharmacist at the beach I had my meds in a couple of hours. I know most folks like to complain, but I love to share good experiences!and thank you for doing so! we appreciate it!

Comment by smartTech

September 24, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

Well said, I will have to remember this!

Comment by annon

September 26, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

What do you do when the Dr.s office is being the Dick- not the pt. Abx rx erx on a Mon, drug on backorder, like everyother drug right now. Fax to get changed, call in morning leave message, leave at least 3 messages, fax again, a floated rph speaks to someone- yet no change. In all-3 pharmacists-at least 3 vm by 1, 1 by another, 2 by the patient, 1 visit to the office by pt so-finally on Friday it gets changed- and who loses in this one? The Dr- bc of incompetent staff they just lost a patient.

Comment by curlygirl

October 26, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I have a good one for you- I overhead the following conversation yesterday.

SuperTech: I’m sorry, it looks like we need to contact your doctor since you are out of refills.

Patient: Well, when you talk to her, tell her to give me 20 refills. I don’t have time to wait every time I come in here.

SuperTech to the patient: I will do my best, sir.
SuperTech in her head: Yep, like I’m gonna tell the doctor how to prescribe. What a jerk!