Some Undeniable Truths

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 9:43 pm on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Death and Taxes:  We’ve all heard it..but pharmacy has its own undeniable truths..

May I say with complete certainty, that unless somebody is carrying a  bouquet of flowers and a box of candy,  there is no good coming from hearing the words ”  May I speak to the manager please?”

The phone that rings at 1 minute prior to closing is NEVER good news…and its ALWAYS a problem.

The person who asks you ” can I ask you a quick question?”  will most certainly NOT ask you a quick question.

100% of your customers will lie to you if it benefits them in some way.

People on pain meds travel a lot…They are always ” going out of town” when they need their vicodin early.

How long you sit on hold with an insurance company is inversely porportional to the patience of the person you are doing it for!

Give somebody an extra tablet and you will never learn of it…short somebody a tablet and you are scamming rip off artist in a white coat.

The mere thought of eating some food will cause the phone to ring and 4 customers to come to the counter.

Caffeine is the pharmacists 5th food group.

Comment by mb

September 15, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

Also to be added can be:

People with no refills on the scripts will call looking for refills at 8pm on a friday night. And it is usually something I won’t give an emergency fill on (Birth control, insulin, controls)

When in doubt, everyone will blame the pharmacy. Regardless that we faxed the MD’s office 2 weeks ago stating XYZ drug needed a prior auth and here was the number to call to duke it out with insurance.

People that complain about having to wait 10 minutes to for a script will also never have their correct insurance card on them and just expect the pharmacy staff to magically tell them their copays and know what all their billing info is. And will complain loudly about the price and/or the fact that something like Vaniqa is not covered.

Comment by PharmGamerKid

September 15, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

i second the caffeine as the fifth food group.

Comment by DrFrank

September 16, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Not 100% of customers will lie….99.9999999% of them will. I had a guest 2 weeks ago who’s prescription had been billed to a workman’s comp and got a $0 copay. She returned 3 hours later. She realized it was wrong so she wanted it billed to her regular insurance and pay the full $45 copay! I was stunned….I love that patient.

Another truth

Customers will never take responsibility for ANYTHING, out of refills-pharmacy’s fault, need a PA-pharmacy’s fault, prescription was not called into the pharmacy-pharmacy’s fault.

Comment by Jade

September 16, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Don’t forget that the expiring drug you decide to take off the shelf in the morning and dispose of, will be ordered for the next three patients. how could I forget that one! happens ALL the time!

That the newest OTC drug released with extensive TV ad campaign will be requested by patients who don’t know how to spell the name of the drug, don’t know what the name sounds like, and in many cases, the patient isn’t really even sure of what it is used for.

And, that just when you get to the point where you almost blow your top, sometimes there’s that patient that comes up to you and says that you are the one that saved their life, time, money, etc. and are glad it’s you on duty.

Comment by NY Mike

September 16, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

After returning a 13-month old RX to stock, somebody will be in to pick it up within fifteen minutes.

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

September 16, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

I had to laugh when you mentioned how people on pain medications go out of town. I think that rule applies to all controlled substances.
I once jokingly asked my doctor for some Xanax at the end of an appointment when he asked me if I needed anything. And when he asked me why I wanted it I responded “Oh I don’t need it, but I want to see the world!” I told him that people on controlled substances take an average of 7 vacations a year and I wanted that kind of life.LOVE THAT!

Comment by pharmacychick

September 16, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

And on a simlar note to the expiring drugs: the non moving drug you finally pull and return will have a script written for it the day you receive your credit!