The ultimate in “new society” rude.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 4:31 pm on Tuesday, September 6, 2011

She walked up to the pharmacy counter and I knew exactly what she wanted.  She doesn’t fill rx’s at my store but she buys these boxes of salivary stimulants on occasion for her husband.  I had ordered her two boxes the other day, and when she arrived at the counter I grabbed the two boxes.

” so will this be everything for you today?” I asked

”  I just have no idea what I am going to do with him!” she responded.  Since she had been whining about her husband not ordering these boxes till he was out, I assumed that she was talking about the Xylimelts.

” No problem, just keep one of the boxes yourself or I can even photocopy the box and you can keep that with you”. I responded as I rung up the sale.  She scanned her payment card.

” I just hate that stuff!” she replied  WTF? I am thinking, becoming more and more confounded.  ” It just gets everywhere and I am constantly yanking it out”. she said, not even looking at me anymore.  I am wondering what the hell her husband is doing with these lozenges!

” What do you mean?” I ask, then she responded ”  I am going to tear all that bamboo out and throw it over his fence” and I realize now she has an ear piece in and is talking to somebody on the phone.  I have been having a conversation with NOBODY.

She grabbed her receipt and walked away, with out so much as a head nod, a wave or a thank you.

The lady behind her had observed the entire thing…” Did she say anything at all to YOU?” she asked.

” Nope, I said…not ONE SINGLE WORD”.

Unbelievable.  seems a tad unfair, really.  customers can complain about US, but why can’t we complain about THEM?

Comment by Adina

September 6, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Hi PC,

I am a P1 student. My professor at my university is using your pet peeve 101 to help us role-play as a patient/pharmacist, etc. This week we’re suppose to get ideas from the pet peeve entry and role play ways that demonstrates times when we’ve been frustrated due to patients/doctors/insurance companies, etc. Anyways I’ve been reading your blog from current til early this year and I am so thankful my teacher sent us here. You may be getting a lot more traffic and/or comments from the 2008 post because he linked it directly to your blog site. Thanks for writing such insightful and funny entries! I’ve been reading it during class during breaks and I literally laugh out loud and I think people stare at me weirdly. :X Anyways I hope my preceptor is as cool as you! 🙂

Comment by pharmacychick

September 16, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

Thank you, I am most honored!

Comment by JT

September 6, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

and you didn’t get a call later saying that she only wanted 1 box this time. huh.

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

September 6, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

Wow–and the rudeness can be complicated by someone insisting later on that they never picked up an item, because they were not paying any attention whatsoever to what they were actually doing.

PC, not only do I NEVER use my cell phone while driving, I have nearly given up LISTENING TO THE RADIO while driving! The other drivers are all going too fast for me to fail to give them 100 percent of my attention.

Comment by Mimi

September 7, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Or theyll be mad later because the receit was put in the bag or something stupid like that. Talking on the phone especially during check up is soooo rude.

Comment by Tracy

September 8, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

If you walk up to MY pharmacy counter on your cell phone.. I will either ignore you completely until you hang up or I will stare you down and force you to take to me. Even if I know you and have gotten your bag from the bin without asking your name a hundred times. And Im going to ask you more verification questions than necessary. It’s like training a dog, but usually the dog catches in faster.

Comment by Mike

September 20, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

I just don’t understand that kind of behaviour… I always say a sincere ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ when being assisted, it’s just simple courtesy.
Rude people like that need a swift kick in the rear.