Doing Something Just for Me.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:59 pm on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I toyed with the idea of writing about this for awhile.  Do I?? Don’t I?  What would be the reaction of people? Would they think less of me? Would they think I was foolish or vain?  Writing about it won, so here I go:

Nobody is perfect, but I had one thing on my body that I found to be less perfect than others.  It caused me to cringe in photos, and I never liked to look at myself in pictures, especially in profile shots. I felt everybody noticed it and it made me feel self conscious and ugly. It wasn’t true of course, but to me it was like having a big wart on the center of my nose!

Its my neck.  I have a double chin.  I inherited my grandmothers saggy skin in my neck area giving me this ugly neck, and no jaw line.  My jaw disappeared right into my neck and the older I got, the more prominent the sag.  It has bothered me so much over the years that the turtle neck shirt has been my staple for all of my adult life. AND, despite topping out the scales at around 125 lbs and wearing a nice 4-6 range, I still had this double chin, that no exercising was going to remove.

In mid December we got a flyer in the mail..from an asthetic medicine clinic.  You know, face lifts, liposuction, face treatments, etc..  It was no surprise. I had been getting these fliers for years. Usually they just were tossed into the recycle bin.  “too much money for vanity” I thought, hard to justify that kind of money when it could be used for church, home improvements,etc.  but It didnt’ stop me from admiring the pictures and commenting to Mr Chick, “Boy, I would sure like to get my chin and neck done. Its just so ugly”.

It was Mr Chick however that made all the difference.  He said ” you know honey, you have felt self conscious about your  neck as long as I have known you. Its only money.  If you want to fix it.. do it.”

We talked about it for awhile.  the  consulation would be free. (thats business-speak for “we dont tell you the cost until you are here”). What the heck…I’ll take the bait.  I went into the consultation, met the clinic owner, the person who makes the appointments, et al.  Still not convinced that this would ever materialize, I just took the paperwork, looked at the numbers andwent home.  No way would Mr Chick take these numbers for having the fat sucked off my neck.

I was wrong.  We signed the agreement, and made the appointment.  The VISA was charged.

Feb 22 was the big day.    Wholly professionally handled, the room was like an operating suite, and 45 minutes later I was done. I also looked a little grotesque. Wrapped up and swollen I spent most of the first day sleeping with a dog at my side.  Ihad to wear a compression bandage 24-7 for 3 days, including one day at work, where I wore a scarf  and endured a lot of comments about me joining the nunnery.

Having told only my staff about what I was having done, I answered their question by telling them I had some minor repair work finally done.

The result?

AWESOME! My biggest fear was going thru all this and finding I looked no different. I was thrilled to be wrong for a change.  Its a 100% turn around, both face on and profile.  It was 100% for me, and yes it was a superfluous expenditure of cash. At my second post op appointment 6 weeks later, the Doctor asked me if I liked the result.

I told her it was the coolest thing I have ever done for myself.

I wish I could show you 🙂

Comment by snarkygurl

April 20, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Good for you! And I’m glad you made the decision to share something so personal with us.

Growing up I had this strange idea that having plastic surgery meant you weren’t able to accept yourself for the person you are. Bwahah hah ha! I finally grew up, realized how stupid that was, and now I’m saving up for the exact same procedure you had.

Are you used to seeing the new you in the mirror yet? It sounds like it still sometimes sneaks up on you.I love how it looks in the mirror and no I am still surprised when I see photos of myself and there is no double chin..I wish I had done this years ago!! its like plastic surgery on my face with no knives!

Comment by Anonymous

April 20, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I’m young. Old enough to have fine lines, but that’s about it. I’m never quite sure what my beliefs are on plastic surgery. I think I’m a “This is OK, but that is not” type of person. I think a 125 pound woman with a double chin would fit into the “OK” category, because in this case you aren’t trying to redo everything. You are only “fixing” one thing that is obviously out-of-place.when I was there, the consultant asked me if I wanted the “facial treatment” which was a couple extra thousand dollars. I said, No, I am perfectly content with my face. I am 47, and look acceptable for 47. I just wanted to get rid of the saggy skin on my neck/chin…worth every penny!

Comment by Frantic Pharmacist

April 20, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

More power to ya!

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

April 20, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

Congrats PC. You made the right choice to do something for yourself. I’m sure years of doing things for others has earned you the right to do a little something special for yourself!

Comment by CPhT Girl

April 21, 2011 @ 3:55 am

Good for you! Thank you for sharing something so personal with us. 🙂

Comment by LibraryGryffon

April 21, 2011 @ 8:07 am

This makes me feel so much better for thinking about it myself. I’m almost 50, and yes, I’m overweight. But even looking back at my wedding photos, back when I was younger and almost underweight, you can still see a double chin, it’s just smaller. So I guess I can start saving up for it without any guilt!

And I’m so glad to hear that you did something for yourself, and are totally happy with it!

Comment by Rachelle

April 21, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I don’t think you’re foolish or vain for wanting to correct something that’s always bothered you. Heck, I wouldn’t think you were foolish and vain for anything you wanted to do to your own body!

Good on ya!

Comment by TexasPharmacyChica

April 22, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

More power to ya.

Congratulations!

Comment by Mike

April 23, 2011 @ 7:59 am

It’s not vain in the least, and GOOD for YOU. I have the same problem– sure, I’ve gained weight since school, but even when thin I ALWAYS had that loose flabby skin between my Adam’s apple and chin. In pictures, I have to jut my head forward so it looks like I actually have a chin. I am definitely getting it taken care of someday.

Comment by C

April 23, 2011 @ 11:22 am

Good for you!

Comment by loveinmyjob

May 2, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Good for you! I have toyed with the idea of cosmetic surgery for years. I’ve had some temporary stuff done like Botox and Januviderm which was awesome, but I would really like something more. My problem would be where to start. I’m proud of you for doing something for YOU. We work hard for our money so why not live a little.