Doofus of the day: Weekend Edition.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 9:34 am on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

For once, Doofus of the day is not Pharmacy Chick.  No, I didn’t assume the wrong gender, nor did I ask if a fat chick is pregnant.  The Doofus of the day goes to Miss Jane Doe who thought that a pharmacist would be either blind enough or stupid enough to bring in a prescription so obviously altered that NOBODY would fill it.

2pm:  the phone rings, some chick on the other end wants to know if we have oxycodone 5.  Its been in short supply of late and these phone calls aren’t all that uncommon, either by a pharmacy or by a patient.  We confirm that we do indeed have “some”.

2:30 pm this blonde 21year old presents a prescription.  Immediately my suspicion is peaked when I look at the prescription and see that every thing on it has been traced.  In all my years as a pharmacist there is only ONE physician that I have ever filled for that ever traced over stuff on his hardcopy, and it was a pediatrician.  Either he was a little OC or he was just “different”.  THIS was NOT that doctor.  I have filled hundreds, if not thousands of scripts for Dr X and she has never ONCE traced over her name or the patient name, let alone everything on the face.

She sees my careful inspection of the hard copy and  says ” oh, my daughter played with the prescription a bit”…puhleeze, do NOT even go there.  Clearly the prescription had been washed/bleached/erased and the drug had been changed, as was the quantity and the sig.  You could even still see a bit of the ink remaining in background where she couldn’t wash it all off.   I told her ” I think I best check with the doctor on this rx”.  She immediately backpedaled and said.  Oh thats ok, I’ll just take it to my “regular pharmacy”…not buying that either.  And she reached towards me to get the prescription.

“Oh, not before I take a copy of this!”…as I scanned the RX into the copier.  ” YOU CAN’T DO THAT!”  she exclaimed.   “Oh yes I can, and before you can get to any pharmacy nearby, I will have notified every pharmacy in the county  AND your physician”.  “Have a good day”.

‘YOU BITCH!”   she screamed, grabbed the offensive script from the counter and stomped off.  True to my word,  I called every pharmacy I could and the DR. who was wondering why I didnt’ call the police right then…she already knew I was suspicious..you think that she was going to wait around?  The dr knew the patient, she had stupidly used her real name on the script. I guess she couldn’t wash that off.

I had sunday off, and waiting for me monday was the phone number of the Sherriff’s office.  Aparently the Dr decided to act on my call and wants to prosecute the girl.

Good move Doc.

Comment by Ndemrose

March 22, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Right on PC!!!!! Isn’t it funny that people actually think we are dumb and will go ahead and fill it? Stupid, stupid people…. Ugh. *rolls eyes* I hate people like that. Seriously.

Comment by RXJOE

March 22, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I’ve had people arrested for that. Not that hard to trick these idiots really. You tell them everything is fine and you need 10-15 minutes like a normal RX and turn around and call the police. Then you can just stand back and laugh your ass off as they have the surprise of there life as the cops show up.

Comment by sorry

March 22, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

piqued

Comment by loveinmyjob

March 22, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

I had one once that use White-Out on the rx and didn’t think I would notice. I think these people have been doing drugs for so long that they assume everyone else is too. Either that or they truely think a pharmacist is dumber than a drug addict.

Comment by RxBoy

March 23, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

In my city it wouldn’t do any good to stall the customer and call the police. We have so much crime here that something like presenting a forged prescriptions would be very low priority. It would most likely be a good 45 minutes to an hour before anyone would finally show up. By that time the drug seeker would be on to us and bolt for sure.

Comment by phx

March 23, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

Where I live we really can’t do anything until they try to pick up the fake rx- they won’t arrest them if it is not in their possession. However, drug rings are pretty common in my city and we have been instructed to call 911 when someone tries to pick up a forged rx- then you can stall & they do get there pretty quickly. One guy even got arrested today (not at my store)

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

March 24, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

I had a guy once who took a prescription that was typed and altered it with a pen. Needless to say it looked obvious since the entire prescription was typed and the quantity had been changed in pen. It was also attached to an antibiotic prescription which had been ripped off. And as a final pathetic touch he repeatedly balled up and opened the prescription to make the paper extra worn even though it was only a few minutes removed from the emergency department from where it came (time stamp was on the hardcopy)!

I’m so sick of wasting my time dealing with this stuff at work but what can you do? And it is very frustrating when you have the impression that nothing is done to these people even if they are caught. But it is still rewarding to me personally when I can catch someone who is trying to scam the system. But I hate that the time I spend on these people is time taken away from legitimate customers and patients. But it’s all part of the job I guess!

Comment by debbie

March 25, 2011 @ 1:47 am

My cousin use to write over the prescriptions from her pain doctor, but not change the medication or dosage, but to redo the fixed date (the doctor would give her three months worth with two of them post dated since they where scheduled two medications) to get them early, and she got away with it for almost two years until she finally got caught, and even then the pharmacy nor the doctor called the cops on her. She took that as her 2nd chance in life and turned herself in to a rehab center and has been clean for several years.

Comment by burnedoutmedic

March 28, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

at least put some more effort into getting her fix… geez…

Comment by FuturePharmer

April 6, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

I want to correct something PHX said.

Yes, some police departments are under the impression that they must pick up the Rx to break the law. However, the act of ATTEMPTING to obtain Rx drugs by fraud is a FEDERAL offense.

If the police are too stretched to deal with it, call your DEA agent. If you are in a city of any size they will come make the arrest themselves. If not they may choose to put some pressure on the local PD to go pick up the person.

Our State-level DEA office has actually ASKED to be called in such an event (sometimes they say to call PD). Please don’t let these people get away with this, at least turn over the copy of the forged Rx to the DEA after the fact.