Note to Self 3-16-2011

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 6:48 pm on Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pharmacy Chick,

You are certainly on a roll.  Please,  unless he is standing before you buck naked with all the family jewels displayed for the world to see, never assume you know the gender of the person you are looking at.  Especially if that person looks like a man…and he his presenting a script for a woman.. because when you implicated that the person dropping OFF the script was not the patient by basis of gender,  you looked mightily silly when said patient announced that yes indeed SHE was the Patient in question.  Be grateful that SHE was gracious and had a sense of humor and that “it happens all the time”.

Next time you may not be so lucky.

Pharmacy Chick

p.s.  your techs are STILL laughing at you …

Comment by Ndemrose

March 16, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

omg, that has happened to me before too, especially with some of these names out there now! Who the heck knows if it’s a male or female and you feel like a heel asking, “umm… is your kid a boy or a girl?” Ugh. Been there done that! Got the tee-shirt.

🙂

Comment by Erin, Tech

March 16, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

That is a rough one- and it is why I always say “what is the patient’s dob” instead of “his” or “her.” That also helps avoid the stupid issue of people asking whose birthday we want. Why on earth would I want your birthday, when this is a script for your kid?

Comment by xy

March 17, 2011 @ 1:02 am

was she korean?haha NOPE….definitely anglo.

Comment by JS

March 17, 2011 @ 4:18 am

happen to me with a student. After the first day of school (and 8 hours later) I finally made it down to the file to find out if the birth certificate said Male or Female. She was a Female but wanted to be a Male so badly. I know it happens but to see it unfold in front of you over the course of a school year is down right scary. We were not trained for this is college. People who visited the room would compliment “him” on things he would say and I would have to say yes, she always has such great ideas and watch their face fall. I talked to Mom and she said whatever she decided as she got older was fine with her. She would just go with it! Wow! Great Kid, sure hope she (he?) has found a place in society and is doing well.

Comment by Unchained Pharmacist

March 17, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

(Tongue in cheek)– I wonder if our colleagues in San Francisco would make the same mistake.

Comment by Mike

March 19, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

Chick, you KNOW better. It’s like the whole pregnancy thing… the only time it’s acceptable to ask a woman “when are you due?” is when you can clearly see the baby crowning!

~Mike

Comment by loveinmyjob

March 20, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Ugh! I hate it when this happens! Especially if their name either implies the opposite sex or is neuter. When registering them as a new patient I always feel foolish asking for the sex, but hey gotta have it.

Comment by Mickey Blue Eyes

March 21, 2011 @ 7:46 am

Wasn’t that a bit from a “Family Guy” episode?wouldn’t know..Ive never seen the show. perhaps if I had I might have prevented my debauchle..

Comment by Susan

April 7, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

Pharm chick,
Don’t you love these modern asexual names, like Madison or Cameron? But what about Evelyn and Lynn–wouldn’t you assume those were girls’ names? Nope! In the olden days, these were guy names, but in the 1930s and 40s, women named Mildred and Maud decided to name their daughters Evelyn and Lynn because those names were so much prettier!

Medical transcriptionists know your pain. Many physician dictators, especially those for whom English is a second language, confuse their pronouns. In the first paragraph the patient is a he, second a she, etc. If the patient has one of those sexless names like Lynn or Cameron or, heaven forbid, Pat, the MT is stuck, just hoping and praying that the physician will dictate a pelvic or genitalia exam so the inconsistent pronouns can be corrected to the right one. There have been times, when I didn’t have access to the patient registry database to just check the patient’s sex, that I just recast every statement from “he” and “her” to “the patient,” “the patient,” “the patient.”

For us in transcription, at least if the patient is going through the gender reassignment process, the doctor is bound to mention it!

Comment by Loren Pechtel

August 22, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

I would think that most people who are in a position to get confused would long ago have learned that they confuse people and not get upset about it.

It’s not just the gender-ambiguous names (at least there you know there’s a problem) but what’s worse is the names that change. I’m male, I have what was at the time I was born the male spelling of the name. Now, though, it’s 100% female.