Monday’s cross cultural experience.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 5:16 pm on Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday is the one day per week that Pharmacy Chick gets a lunch.  A quick 30 minute foray for gastronomic relief…today I decided to go to my favorite little Japanese restaurant in my center.  I’ve eaten there for 15 years.  The head sushi chef calls me Doc.

I get seated, order my usual, California roll, tempura, salad, no rice and a Coke.  There is Japanese art on the wall, Japanese music overhead, Japanese people eating sushi at the sushi bar.

I ask the waitress (owner’s wife perhaps?)  “Ive seen the devastation in Japan..do you still have any family there?”

Her reply…” Dont know..I am not Japanese, I’m Korean”, smiles and walks away.

My bad.

Moving on…..

Comment by RxBoy

March 14, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m sure she had a huge laugh about it later when she was telling other people about it.

Comment by Guzzo

March 15, 2011 @ 1:41 am

Funny thing.. just the other day I ate a Gyro at a former Greek restaurant, now owned by a Japanese family, but cooked by a Hispanic dude.Guzzo! Long time! hope all is well!!

March 15, 2011 @ 6:38 am

Why you insensitive, stereotyping racist!

I’m sure you’re now on idiotswhoeatatmyrestaurant.com.no doubt Grumpy…no doubt!

Comment by Mickey Blue Eyes

March 15, 2011 @ 7:20 am

LOL! Dr. Grumpy FTW!

Personally, I can empathize.

If the situation were you were in a British pub theme restaurant and the waiter had a British-sounding accent, would you feel bad if it turned out they were Australian? 🙂

Comment by R. May

March 15, 2011 @ 7:40 am

There’s a really great pizza and Italian restaurant down the street… owned and operated by the nicest El Salvadoran family you’d ever meet. I know they see the humor in it and aren’t offended when someone says something “insensitive”- I’m sure your waitress did too.

Comment by Jade

March 16, 2011 @ 8:31 am

It might’ve been just the tiniest bit of rudeness on the waitress’ part you think? Considering that she could’ve acknowledged the terrible devastation of a nation just across the sea from Japan?no actually in the context of the meal and situation she wasn’t being rude. Her posture and her demeanor never indicated she was offended or that she was rude.

Comment by Ndemrose

March 16, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

hahaha, whoops!! 🙂 Hey the good news is you get a lunch on a monday! Me? Never get to leave the place.

Comment by k

March 16, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

Don’t feel bad – I’ve done worse. Many sushi/Japanese restaurants where I live are owned/run by Chinese or Koreans, which I don’t find out until having placed my order in Japanese. Now I just go to the 2 Japanese owned supermarkets in the northwest burbs – one has a great restaurant (and made to order takeout sushi) and the other has a bigger selection of products.

Comment by Justine Steed

March 12, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

An economist’s guess is likely being as good as anybody else’s.
The project of the people still remains to be the spark that moves mankind ahead much more than teamwork.