The All nighter…

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 8:09 am on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I know every pharmacist has done it.  Epic Sucks..In fact, its the biggest pet peeve I have about pharmacy and it doesn’t even happen within its walls.

DREAM about work.  Last night I pulled the all nighter.  Usually these dreams follow one of two scenarios:

1.  I am trying to close and people just keep streaming INTO the pharmacy and I can’t get them out in order to leave the building…and

2. I spend all night working on one prescription because I can’t get it done for some reason..either I am missing equipment (no keyboard, no screen) or I can’t find the drugs.

Last night it was no.2.  All night long I tried to fill a rx for Percocet #85 for a long time customer of mine, Mr Smith…ON MY PHONE.  The damn touch screen wouldn’t work and I couldn’t do it!  It made me crazy.  For hours I fiddled with that thing, all the while they were getting more and more impatient as the hours passed.

Criminy..I woke up exhausted.  And I get to go to work now.

February 16, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Time to go back to Palm Springs already?

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

February 16, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Some nights, I seemed to be filling prescriptions all night: no particular memory, just a blur of handling paper and concentrating on nothing except my anxiety.

One dream was particularly vivid: I saw a hand reaching under a box-office type window and holding a fistful of prescriptions and a Medicaid card! At least the patient gave me the card in advance.

Comment by Mallory

February 16, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Are you aware it’s a dream while you’re dreaming it? You could try some lucid dreaming techniques. That’s always fun.

Comment by KCflacpht

February 16, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

I used to hear the drive-thru bell in my sleep. Sometimes all night, waking up because I heard the “ding-ding”. Drove me nuts! And I swear,it took maybe 3 months after I left Wags before those dreams stopped.

The other one was if for some miraculous reason I got to sleep in, and the phone would ring. About 50% of the time I’d answer the darn thing using the company spiel, instead of just “Hi,KC here- who’s calling please?”. Pretty embarrassing, except when it was a telemarketer or something- they’d take my # off their list at least- since it was a “corporate” number!

Comment by Aaron

February 16, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

What always cheers me up is looking at reviews of Epic as an employer.

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

February 16, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

I once had a rather funny dream I was working at a pharmacy and a Medco auditor came in for a surprise audit. In this dream when the technician I was working with came to me and told me who the Medco person was and why they were here I immediately stopped working, turned around, bent over and dropped my pants and mooned the auditor yelling “Audit this!” as I gave them the twin cheek salute! And the funny thing was in the dream I simply went back to work afterwards and the technician’s only response to the mooning was to look at me and say “real classy Red!” HAHA, I woke up with a smile on my face wondering what it would be like to do that in real life.That would be awesome!!!

Comment by IAPharmer

February 16, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

One evening I had a dream about a prescription. I woke up in the middle and it gave me an uneasy feeling. I went back to sleep and the dream started again back at the beginning. Problem was is that I could not make out the name on the prescription but I knew it was for Metoprolol. When I woke up at the alarm I saw the person’s name on the Rx. I went to work that morning and pulled the prescription from will call and pulled the hard copy–Wrong Metoprolol (it was filled as tartrate not succinate). Thanks to my subconscious for sticking those messages in my brain to avoid that error!( or God, it you are of sort!) Good catch!

Comment by Liz

February 18, 2011 @ 12:26 am

I often have a dream similar to your dream #2. Usually I keep trying to fill the same Rx, only to have someone else screw it up every time I get pulled away from the task to do something else. I spend the whole night trying to fix the same damn Rx. Dreaming about work is the worst.

Comment by leah

February 18, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

I am a tech, so my dreams usually involve getting stuck in the pharmacy all my myself with a neverending cavalcade of cars in the drive thru. Sometimes I will be stuck trying to fill a mountain of labels by myself with hoards of customers waiting impatiently for hours… then I realize I’m dreaming, say “to hell with it” and just walk out.

Comment by loveinmyjob

February 19, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

You know, I have never dreamed about my job. However, when I’m stressed out I do dream about Pharmacy School. Go figure, it’s been 23 years and I still dream about that! I guess it was a traumatic experience for me, who knows. I always dream the same thing…some one comes to me and says that I missed one class so my degree isn’t valid therefore my license isn’t valid. Does that mean I have validation issues or am I feeling guilty for skipping a class here or there?

Comment by Jade

February 19, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

My technician that I worked with for years told me her nightmare was entering orders in the computer for drips and kept losing the labels so she had to call up to the floor for the patient’s name.

I’ve been a pharmacist for 20+ years and often too tired after pharmacy shifts to dream about work during the day, instead going back to pharmacy school and dreaming about some final research project required for graduation, and the day before the presentation, still not having come up with a project, the research design, etc.. Another variation is knowing there’s an exam the next day, but not knowing what it is over, and knowing that I haven’t started studying for it.

Comment by AF Pharma

February 23, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

When studying for my boards I used to dream repeatedly of standing at a slot machine. Each time the lever was pulled the 3 sections would spell out random nonsense combinations like hex-chlor-azol and my test was to determine what the brand was, uses, side effects, etc. I always woke in a sweat.

Comment by rxkerber

February 24, 2011 @ 1:58 am

I hate work dreams. No rest. And in mine, every rx is for cyclobenaprine. And the word floats through my dream.

Once I punched out my tech who I like very muchin real life .