would you fill this mess?

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 1:54 pm on Sunday, January 9, 2011

Would you fill this mess?

what you are looking at is the back of a prescription…the front was too clear to post. It was disgusting, and looked it it had been used as a car floor mat for a while.. Written for Vicodin #10, it was dated November 2010 from an urgent care center. I couldn’t believe the guy had the audacity to hand it to us to fill. I decided that a call to the clinic was in order. They must have been slow at the time because they addressed my issue immediately. I told them about the rx and the condition it was in. They pulled the transaction number and the visit was for a spider bite over 2 months ago. “Cancel it” was the decision.

She even wanted me to phone pix her with the rx. I am sure it made the rounds…so to speak.

January 9, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

OMG! Are those… Diet Coke stains?!!!I only wish…the front was disgustingly stained and off colored. I kid you looked like it had spent considerable time acting as a floor mat in his car. I would have preferred to post the face of the rx but I dont have photoediting software or the know-how to blur out HIPAA sensitive material. I was lucky enough to crop out enough info to keep my work location private…

Comment by Texas Pharmacy Chica

January 9, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

I totally believe you. My techs know what to do….I have rules about how scrips like that (drool, dog/baby bite marks, blood, more blood, mucus) get filed: Use gloves when handling the paper, fold it, put it in a zip lock bag, don’t open it again, EVER. In case of an audit, let the auditors handle the yuckiness. If they are from Aetna, don’t explain why the script was bagged (just kidding). Why don’t they teach that in pharmacy school along with a 2-week mini-course in printer repair?

Comment by JS

January 9, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

What did the patient say/do? I am guessing he/she was pretty ticked off? GROSS!surprisingly nonplussed. He didn’t have much to stand on when I said “This urgent care rx is 2 months old…The doctor said you were seen for a spider bite 2 months ago and if you are still having pain from that bite you need to be seen again. He cancelled the prescription”. he didn’t even ask for it back.

Comment by RxBoy

January 9, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

We would not be allowed to fill it in the state where I work. All prescriptions for controlled substances in my state must be filled within 30 days of the date written. Every so often we have somebody come in with one that is a couple of months old and get upset with us for refusing to fill it. I think even that is too lenient. I think they should be filled within 5 days. If the patient doesn’t get it within that time, then in my opinion they are not in enough pain to need the medicine. If they are taking it as directed, there is no reason whey they should have a script for a narcotic that they don’t need for that long a time period.I completely agree. I believe that urgent care prescriptions should be filled within 2-3 days of writing them. After all isnt that what URGENT CARE implies? “hey i am so sick that I have to be seen urgently…” then wait 2 months to fill the rx? We try to look at the intent of the rx…if you bring me an 10 day supply of antibiotic written 90 days go, unless I get a really good reason, I am not going to fill it either despite the letter of the law stating its “good for one year past date of writing”.

Comment by Texas Pharmacy Chica

January 10, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Thanks Pharmacy Chick for the lines about antibiotics. I do that, too. Most patients do not realize that antibiotics target specific groups of bacteria and will happily take anything if they have a cold. Which, of course is viral, and therefore not affected by the antibiotics. I cringe when someone brings in a script for antibiotics that is 2 months old.

Comment by Mike

January 10, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Was this one of your regular patients, Chick? If not, I can only imagine how many places he tried to fill the Rx that day before gracing YOUR counter with his presence.

Comment by wellillbe

January 10, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

I guess I think otherwise. I’d think,”wow must not be an abuser didnt even fill it for 2 months. Now an antibiotic rx, that I would not fill if 2 months old.There was no implication that he WAS an abuser…it was a filthy dirty rx that was over 2 months old for an urgent care clinic. It was an inappropriate prescription. I would be surprised if ANY pharmacist would fill it.

Comment by loveinmyjob

January 11, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Our local ED has the policy that if an rx is over 72 hours old do not fill it, don’t call them to ask, just don’t fill it. They also have the rule that if more than one rx is written the patient must get all or none. Again, don’t call to ask. Patients still want us to but my standard line is “I know this doctor, he will cancel the whole thing if I call, but hey, you’re the patient–I’ll do it if you want to take the chance.” I say that while picking up the phone, it’s amazing how many change their mind.
By the way, I’ve seen rxs that looked like that that were written the same day! What do these people do with the things once they get them?

Comment by Jones

January 11, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

Honestly? I’ve seen grosser prescriptions turned in at the pharmacy that we’ve had to fill, since they were for chronic meds. Got to wonder how things get that bad between MD and RPh, never mind the lack of shame in turning in a prescription that looks like someone crapped on it.

I also always hated when patients would bring in used tubes of Analpram-HC and expect to hand them to me to read the rx number off the auxilary label. No thanks, I’ll just look up the number in your profile.

No matter how pristine that particular prescription had been, I wouldn’t have wanted to fill it, given the circumstances. Glad you caught that one.

Comment by KCflacpht

January 11, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

Lovinmyjob and I must live near each other- our local ED is the same. 72 hours, and all script’s must be filled or none at all- especially if there are controls involved.( of course, there are the rare patient that will fill the antibiotic and not want the control- those we do gladly. But the other way around? Notsomuch.)

I have had a few floaters that have bent that rule, but it’s been rare. And quite frankly pissed the rest of us off, as word gets around and you know what happens. We have enough problems down here with the traffic from the pill-mills, without adding to our headaches.
Still- nice catch Chick!

Comment by Loren Pechtel

August 22, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

One problem with that policy: What if there’s an if-needed in the pile? While my wife has never been to an urgent-care place she has gotten an antibiotic script and along with it a yeast-infection script as the antibiotic was liable to cause one. She chose to wait and see if one developed before filling it.

Comment by Kassy

June 21, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I have a question. I had tonsillitis, which led to bronchitis, which led to walking pneumonia. All this transpired about 55 days ago and I am still not well. I was put on Zithromax for 5 days (about 2.5 weeks into this process), then (4 weeks into the process) I was put on Levoquin for 10 days and was asked to wait it out for a few weeks. My doctor had additionally given me a script for Augmentin. He told me to wait it out though (until tomorrow actually to count the number of days accurately) and if I had not cleared up, to fill the Augmentin. Will the pharmacy not fill that for me? This entire infection has been an absolute nightmare. I would not want to get worse just because my script is a few weeks old. Please advise.