I am a Venti-ed RockStar

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:02 am on Friday, November 26, 2010

Reading Dr Grumpy today reminded Pharmacy Chick of a couple of stories I thought I might share with you.  In her normal state PC is a rather in-control reserved individual.  Not one to get over excited about anything she can sometimes be best described as “stoic” .

Twenty years ago, paying for a cup of coffee generally meant you had to go to a restaurant, sit down, and the waitress brought you “a cup of coffee”.  Your options included sugar and cream.  Being a Coke drinker, I preferred my caffeine to be cold and carbonated. Back then however, I didn’t drink too much soda. (this matters later in the story)  However the pharmacist I worked with loved her coffee.  Coincidentally, her increasing love of the beverage coincided with the opening of a “designer coffee shop”, a cafe that sold coffee drinks only IN OUR MALL…the most wellknown is Starbucks now, but the one that opened in the mall where WE worked was named something else. It predated Starbucks in our area.

We only worked together one day a week, but every time we did, she had to make a coffee run at some point in the day.  She was particularily fond of Mocha beverages….  One day she decided I needed to try it and offered to buy me an “espresso”…whatever the heck that was (I was coffee naive’).  I said “sure” and she presented me with a Mocha beverage that she called “venti”.  I called it a PAIL of coffee. The only thing I asked of her was to get lots of chocolate.

It was yummy and I sucked it down pretty quick.  I liked that coffee chocolate combo.

Then it happened….

Somebody had electrified my body…it was as if I had taken 12 Sudafed tablets, and then stuck my finger in an electrical outlet.  “What in the heck was in that drink?” I asked Lauren.  “Espresso!”.  I was ignorant… “What exactly is it and how much did you put into it?”  At the time I didnt’ drink that much caffeine.  On this day I had just ingested about three hundred milligrams of the stimulant.  In fact if you stood right next to me that day I am pretty sure that you would hear my body hum and crackle  like it was a power line.

I couldn’t stand it.  I was nutso and all Lauren could do was laugh at me as I went nuclear for about 4 hours.

I learned my lesson…ask for decaffeinated.

Fast forward now 20 years.   My tech loves Rockstar beverages.  By now I sip on a Coke almost daily.  One Coke lasts me most of the day because I don’t guzzle it.   One day I asked my tech what the Rockstar tasted like.  She gave me a taste and I thought it was yummy.  I scored on of my very own.  Fruity and sweet, it was a tasty treat.  It was also loaded with almost 200mg of caffeine…something I didn’t realize until it was too late. My little coke has about 35 mg.

History repeated itself.  About 20 minutes into it, I was on fire. Tech Extraordinare thought it was hilarious.  “Here, let me empty the garbage, check that prescription, answer the phone, re arrange the pharmacy, put the order away, file those papers, counsel that patient ALL RIGHT NOW!andwhileyouareatitpeelmeofftheceilingplease!

No wonder she is so efficient.

When I finally decended to earth I told her if I EVER considered drinking another Rock Star to  beat me until some sense returned.

She laughed and said she may just slip me another one just “to watch the show”.

She is cruel.

Comment by Mal

November 26, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

You sound like me when I go hyper. Except that I obsessively and hyperactively clean things. I try to avoid caffine though. I’m okay drinking it occasionally, but I get dependent too quickly… if I drink it more than two or three days running, when I stop, my blood pressure goes down and I start passing out. It takes about a week for my BP to stabilise again. Lots of fun there.

November 27, 2010 @ 2:42 am

Diet Coke and Coke both have 41mg of caffeine.

When that isn’t enough, I keep Vault Zero (80mg) on hand.
according to my internet search, Classic Coke contains 34.5 mg caffeine..which is a far cry from the 180 to 260 mg in rockstar (depending on the variety one chooses). Either way PC thinks its pure poison!! LOL

Comment by loveinmyjob

November 27, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

I remember when Red Bull first came on the scene. I was offered a sample by the sales guy. I really didn’t have time for this crap so I guzzled the whole can down in about 10 seconds. About 20 minutes later I thought I was having a nervous breakdown. Now with what’s available on the market Red Bull seems tame in comparison. Honestly, I think some of the stuff has crack in it. One taste and I was hooked! Starbucks loves to see me coming. Now, caffeine is my drug of choice. It gets me through the day. Do they have a”Suboxone-like” drug for this addiction?

Comment by Jenn

November 27, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

o.O Caffeine makes me sluggish/sleepy. I want that hyper reaction sometimes. My boss is like you and I find it highly amusing when he’s hyper 😀

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

November 27, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

Great stories PC. It reminds me of one of the stores I work as a floater. A couple of the technicians there drink what I think is called Venom. It is an energy drink in a big (think 16-18 oz) can. I kid you not there is a warning on the can not to drink more than a couple of these in one day. They wanted me to try one at work recently and I politely declined. I wouldn’t have been able to handle all the caffeine in that drink. They love them at that store though. At most I can handle one Coke or Mountain Dew and both of those don’t come close to the caffeine levels in one of those energy drinks.

Comment by C

November 28, 2010 @ 7:44 am

Now you know why they are banning Four Loko

Booze and an energy drink. Yikes.

*disclaimer-these came out years after I quit drinking-good thing.

Comment by rxkerber

November 28, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

I cannot get through a day w/o a big 44oz coke. I am only 10 drinks away from my Starbucks ‘gold’ card. Energy drinks don’t phase me. I am completely caffeine dependent. I’ve tried to stop. I cannot live with the headaches. I’ll just keep my addiction. Mt BP is low, thank goodness.

Also, one of my techs drinks redbull when she needs a boost. The other day, I offered to buy her one. She asked me if the ‘low-carb’ would be better for her or did it not matter since they were both ” death in a can.”. Her words. I could not stop laughing.

Comment by Ploy

March 11, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

Coffee aka mommy’s life support. I’m afaird Canadian Dad’s suggestion would not work: coffee is more way addictive than cigarettes! (Well, in my opinion at least.) Without that steaming java crutch, I wouldn’t be able to deal with all the other steaming stuff. Yesterday was particularly bad. Apparently I laundered toddler poo round, shiny, hard and slightly perfumed. Cleaned up the machine, re-washed the clothes and had a very large cup of coffee. Re-living the story, I might have to go and have another cup. Or a mug. Maybe a jug