If this is the new world order, I’d like to change MY order then…

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 7:22 pm on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Recently there was a national news item where the president of a major sportswear company was acosted outside her home as she was driving up to her driveway.  Thru some very clever trickery she alerted her alarm company who sent police over immediately, probably saving her life.  She was a victim of a home invasion.

Saturday evening, with all of this fresh in my own memory, I drove into my own driveway after work.  It was after dark and I pulled in, closed the garage door, let the dogs in and before I even got my rumpus sat down, there was a knock at the door.  As a matter of habit I always SEE who is at the door before I open it.   Expecting to see my  neighbor (after all, who ELSE would know I just got home?) I was surprised to see a young man I was not familiar with standing there.  I told him thru the window that I would not be opening the door.

“But I am not selling anything” he shouted back and waved some certificate in my face by the window. ” Great, because I am not going to open the door regardless”.  He was a bit persistent, but I dont care. All I had between me and him was my door.  He finally left.

I didn’t like that uncomfortable feeling.  I mean, who goes door to door on a Saturday night IN THE DARK?  Come on! I dont care if he was waving hundred dollar bills and telling me I won the lottery. I was not going to open the door. Ironically I talked with a several others in the neighborhood, all of which were home, but only 2 saw him at their door and nobody opened it for him.

I say Thank God.

We live in different times than we used to.  When I was a kidlet we just ran around the neighboorhood all day and night.  We were lucky to remember to lock our doors at night.  Dad pulled into the driveway and tossed his keys on the seat. The front door was unlocked until bed time and if somebody knocked on the door, we just flung it open to see who was coming to see us.  The idea of a home invasion was unthinkable.

Since I moved to “urban” lifestyle I live differently.  I lock the car when I get IN and when I get OUT.  Our home is locked when we are HOME and when we are AWAY.  I have an alarm…which we use.

At the store, I make myself keenly aware of my surroundings when I leave the pharmacy. I am even spooked by weirdos who come to the counter, since recent robberies in our area have involved firearms.

I just keeping hoping that my day wont come…either at home or at work.

Yup, we live in different times…

Comment by mb

November 16, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

I never seem to have unknown people knocking on my door regardless of time. I guess the main deterent to people when they come to the door is the 80 or so pound german shepard that barks very loudly at them and likes to jump up on the window so you can see her. I won’t open the door but if they want to bust it down to get in, than they are going to be in a world of hurt.I have two dogs but since they all they do is LOVE you, the only harm they would do to an intruder is if he were to have an anaphylactic reaction to dogs!

Comment by Monica

November 17, 2010 @ 12:48 am

So true, here in Australia, we still leave unlocked doors (well more like in Perth since it’s a smaller city compared to Sydney or Melbourne).
Ive always done that and often leave the back door wide open so that my dog can go to the garden when he needs to wee. But then last year some people broke in and it was really scary. Fortunately they didn’t take anything, or hurt anyone and they just left after a while. I wasn’t home but my homestay students hid upstairs and heard the whole thing. Good thing Australia doesn’t allow guns to be sold to the public as well. That way home invasions or store robberies wouldn’t be as dangerous..

Comment by it feels like slime

November 17, 2010 @ 2:35 am

i’m glad you wisely stayed on the plus side of darwin’s rule.

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

November 17, 2010 @ 7:30 am

You never know what other people are capable of PC so you can’t be too careful in my opinion! Did the guy ever give a reason why he was at your front door in the first place? We do live in a different world and I think we all need to take extra steps to be more aware of our surroundings.He said he wasn’t selling anything so I can only assume he was soliciting funds for something (or there for “other” reasons. Since I refused to open the door, it really mattered little what he was doing, no exchanges of ANYTHING was going to happen.

Comment by stargirl65

November 17, 2010 @ 8:53 am

I live in a place where front doors and cars are unlocked most of the time. I have left my keys in the car. I have left my purse of the front steps overnight. It is very safe. My doors are so old if someone wanted in the door would not stop them.

My child is now away at college and says she never feels safe. Everywhere requires magnetic keys and photo IDs. She misses the safety of her hometown.

Comment by Pharmacy student

November 17, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

Scarey situation. Don’t be afraid to report suspicious people or vehicles to the police. You may save someone’s life.

P.S. Monica’s comment bothered me. I, for one, am happy we have the right to bear arms. People should be allowed to own a gun so that when someone with a *stolen* gun tries to break into their home, they can defend themselves and their family.

Comment by Jaden

November 17, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

This is one of the benefits of living with a very sensitive and loyal dog. We live on a busy street corner in a quiet suburb right under the streetlight, and our four-legged protection is alert 24-7.

Comment by SeaSideRobin

November 18, 2010 @ 10:04 am

That’s one of the reasons I want to live in a tiny agricultural village when I’m done my education. I don’t want to have to raise my kids to be scared of everything.

Comment by Mal

November 18, 2010 @ 11:29 am

People in America are too scared of everything. Crime rates are actually lower than in the 50s and 60s, but people are more afraid, due to the constant reporting of crime via the media. Having a gun in your home is daft. You’re more likely to shoot yourself or a family member (or vice versa) than to use your gun for self defence. In the event that there is an intrusion, you are more likely to be injured by your own weapon, than to successfully defend yourself with it.
I never lock my door, and I’ve never had any trouble. Someone with a knife once tried to rob me in the street, but I yelled at him, and wacked him with my walking stick, and he ran away.

Comment by IAPharmer

November 18, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

Sig P239 9mm. It is in a quick access safe in my nightstand, its in my glove box while I am at work, it is on my coffee table at night.

My state has a “castle law” if you cross the threshold, and you are uninvited and I fear for my life I can shoot you, no questions asked. So really, follow me home, break into my house if my lab does not get you, I will!

I hope that never happens and I never have to use it, but I would rather have it an not need it, than need it and not have it.