Ready and waiting..please

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 12:16 pm on Thursday, June 10, 2010

My most recent lisence renewal had a fee in it for initiating a database check on controlled substance use.  We dont have it yet but I am hoppin’ ready for it to be instituted.  No more phony stories, lies, and deception.  Can I get some feed back from you readers on this subject IF you have this database in your state..and if you use it…and how it has changed how you fill narcotics??

Comment by Rachael

June 10, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

We have it in my state and it’s AWESOME! I don’t use it for everyone, but it’s nice to just type in a name and DOB and BAM! you see what they got, when they got it, quantity, which dr prescribed it and which pharmacy filled it. It’s great for catching people in lies. I usually let the person lie first, then show them the report and send them on their merry way (after I write where they filled it, etc on their scrip). The only problem I have noticed is that a couple big chains (CVS in particular) has a 2 week lag time in posting… so I can’t tell if someone got narcs yesterday or in the past few days, if they filled it at CVS. Other than that, it’s amazing.

Comment by PharmtenderTech

June 10, 2010 @ 8:28 pm

It is wonderful. My RPh just got registered with it about 2 weeks ago and I cannot believe how many of our regular patients have been scamming us! It is definitely a useful tool.

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

June 11, 2010 @ 8:07 am

My New Zealand friend claims that all pharmacies in that country are connected electronically. That would mean that you could do a national check on the patient’s other prescriptions very easily. I haven’t talked to any pharmacist over here in the U.S. who is opposed to this kind of connectivity, and I am QUITE “all for it.” We are entitled to it! WE are the ones responsible for dispensing controlled substances. We’re the source. The pill stops here. Why shouldn’t we be able to access presription information nationwide? It sounds to me as if it would have a considerable chilling effect on doctor shoppers if those people knew that every pharmacy in the country could police their mischief.
that would be Nirvana…knowing the trail of narcotics..

Comment by RN Mom

June 12, 2010 @ 10:19 am

This is another area in which ‘big brother’ is looking over your shoulder. I understand that there are abusers that work the system, but my right to privacy is being infringed upon because of them and it irritates me to no living end.
I see your point but I can’t agree. we need a mechanism to monitor drug use and this may be it.

Comment by Frantic Pharmacist

June 12, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

We have just started using this database and to be honest with you it’s a mixed blessing. It puts us even more into the policeman role, but now we’ve got to dole out the punishment too. We can refuse to fill the prescription of course, which can lead to an argumentative and unhappy customer. We can advise the prescriber that their patient is doctor-shopping, but when they ask what their legal recourse is we don’t really have that answer… other that dropping them as a patient. Some of the pharmacists I work with have gotten pretty gung-ho with the whole thing, and I still think we’ve got to be careful with anything that turns out to be a false accusation. I agree, in some situations it can resolve a customer’s claim (“no, I definitely didn’t fill this 2 days ago”) but I don’t intend to use it as a routine thing unless I have clear cause or there is a long-standing issue with somebody where we can finally prove that they are abusing.

Comment by Bones

June 14, 2010 @ 12:45 am

Meh, as a patient, I don’t care. I get all my rxs filled at the same pharmacy anyways. If I was pulling any shenanigans the sole pharmacy I use would only need to check their own system, not a statewide database.

But, I just had an interesting thought. Aside from Dr’s offices, do these state databases also include hospitals (ERs in particular), dentist’s offices, etc. – anywhere a narcotic rx is written or filled? That would be truly killer!
Bones, that is a good question, and because we dont have this system yet I dont have an answer. perhaps another commenter who HAS this database can explain to us how it works. From what I understand, every rx that is FILLED is entered not every RX that is WRITTEN, but I can’t say that for sure. READERS???

Comment by steve

June 14, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

In my state, anything more than a 24 hour supply that is DISPENSED to the patient is reported. That includes all retail/mail order Rxs as well as ER supplies…if they give out more than a 24 hr supply. The fix locally has been for ERs to only give a 24 hours supply and give a script for any additional supply (which makes sense to me anyway). However, nothing is in the database untill it is DISPENSED (i.e. written, but not filled, scripts aren’t in there).

Comment by Amy

June 21, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

We have this and it is ok. It is not Big Brother. They monitor our use of this as well. You just can’t look everyone up for funsies. They can and will get you for a Hipaa violation if you look up someone’s info without a medical reason. I used it quite a bit and I love it for those “no insurance” folks. Now, I know which Walgreens to call to find out the correct info. Unfortunately, it really is a bit useless. I have reported a few people to the database for Dr shopping but nothing really comes of it!

Comment by canadian

July 3, 2010 @ 11:45 am

Up here in British Columbia Canada we have really strict rules when it comes to prescribing narcs
1) we have “Pharmanet” a province wide net accesed by every pharmacy for every patient for EVERY rx filled it shows us what the patient has had in the last 14 months regaurdless of where they got it filled in the province,
2) special duplicate narcotic rx pads with tracking numbers and an expiry date of 5 days from the date written
3) narcotics are only allowed to be filled for 30 days max unless there is extenuating cercumstance and a bunch of paper work to verify the reason
i think if all of canada and the U.S. got these kind of regulations it would be a whole lot different example B.C. has the lowest rate of prescription abuse in the country