Recipe for the perfect storm.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 3:02 pm on Sunday, December 20, 2009

Step one.  Wake up to casually notice your neighbors lights are on. (which are NEVER on at 630 in the morning).

Step two.  Receive a phone call from said neighbor who announced her husband had committed suicide in the middle of the night…in her presence.

Step three.  After rushing to neighbors house with condolances and talking, somehow have to get  your head to function and get to work.

Step four.  Intern leaves message and says she is too sick to work. (one more person down and H1N1 Vaccines scheduled all day)

Step five. Arrive at store to find Electric gate jammed, trash not emptied, 20 rx’s not filled and 10 more not even processed and 40+ in the queue, vials empty, and a forboding sense that “this day is not going to be good”.

(clouds building)

Step six.  Spend next 12 and 3/4 hours with no rest. no food. no bathroom break and begging that 9pm will arrive without perishing yourself. Receive phone calls all day from neighbors trying to make arrangements for the recent widow. Desperately wish you were at home helping out there instead of here at work.  You are exhausted, surly, hungry and have nothing else to give. Look at the stats and see that you have done the same number of RX that you did on monday with half the staff. No wonder you brain is fried.

(Thunder rolls)

Step SEVEN.  Two strangers arrive with a chip on their shoulder.  They left town without insulin…..2 friggin days ago….and only NOW, 10 minutes prior to closing decide to address this issue.  (can you hear the camel’s back breaking?).  Tell patient that she will address this issue in the morning.  Patient tells you that you HAVE to take care of them because you are a PUBLIC SERVANT.. wtf?

(Lightning strikes!)

Step eight. Snap like a twig!  Tell two strangers that this was an issue they should dealt with the day before or at least HOURS earlier, not 10 minutes before  the store closes, and since you are not employed by neither the city, county, state, or federal govt, that while the working conditions are slave-like, you ARE NOT however a public servant…..

The rest of the interaction when downhill from there.  These people weren’t worth a piece of lint to me by this time. They were irresponsible about their health care and expected (no, DEMANDED) me to care about it when they didn’t care about it themselves. I was surly. I was out of line.  They complained to the management.

I just couldn’t care about them. Who I cared about blew his brains out.  Who I cared about was a widow trying to survive this day.

I am sure there will be hell to pay at work on monday.  I dont think I’ll care much about that either.

Comment by Jennifer

December 20, 2009 @ 4:06 pm

Wow, that’s terrible! I am absolutely disgusted at the attitude of entitlement that so many people in this country have. I am sorry for your loss, PC.

Comment by Carol

December 20, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

Whoa. that is seriously messed up. They had better not give you a hard time on monday. keep us posted mmkay?

Comment by The Redheaded Pharmacist

December 20, 2009 @ 4:32 pm

Wow, sorry to hear about your neighbor. I don’t think people realize how deeply a suicide affects every who knew the pereson that goes through with it. The ripple effect is immense and severe.

And on top of that you have to deal with a bad day at work. I hope Monday and the rest of the week are better for you. I remember once a customer who came in right before closing on a Friday with no refills on their insulin and demanded “you can give me one vial right?” Like they left me any choice. I forwarded them one vial (by this point it was 10 minutes after closing) but I scolded them saying “I don’t mind doing this but what if I had been out of stock?” They were due for a dose that evening and had no insulin left! A little personal responsibility would go a long way for some customers.

Comment by jen

December 20, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

OUCH. Hope things are at least marginally better at work Monday (flat-out “better” probably being too much to ask for)….

December 20, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

Shit. I’m sorry.

I hope management takes your side. That’s absolute BS. You have more important things to do than deal with people who don’t care about themselves.

Comment by Tom

December 20, 2009 @ 6:30 pm

Whoa, my heart goes out to you, pharmacychick. I totally agree with your reaction (I probably would have exploded sooner and with more swear words). If it’s really such an emergency, I would have told them to go the emergency room, as you are not an emergency facility.

Hope everything turns out OK =/

Comment by Jade

December 20, 2009 @ 9:45 pm

I am sorry, PC. What an awful one. I hope that you weren’t so exhausted that you couldn’t sleep. This is going to take fortitude.
I was so upset by the whole event I was up til about 1am.

Comment by chris

December 21, 2009 @ 6:46 am

condolences to everyone for the loss of a friend/loved one.

I hate patients like the ones you mention, we get them oh so often. couldnt be bothered with their own healthcare but assume its my problem the moment they walk in the door.

The most recent was a man coming in for some morphine painkillers that he forgot to order on a friday evening before the weekend. Told him he had to speak to his doctor, (they close an hour after us and are 20 minute drive away) and then go to one of the later opening pharmacies. His repsonse was that it was my resposibility as he got his usual medication from him and I HAD to lend him some for the weekend.
1. dont be rude to me and expect an ‘at my discretion’ emergency supply
2. controlled drugs are not allowed on emergency supply anyway.

he actually threated to call the ‘authorities’ if i didnt give him his medication and started getting really aggressive. He phoned the local police station who asked to speak to me. The police asked me what had happened and then asked me if i wanted him removed. the look on his face when i passed the phone back and they told him that they were on the way to remove him from the premises.

Comment by Karen

December 21, 2009 @ 6:17 pm

Oh, Chick. I am SO sorry. Sometimes you don’t have anything left to give. And hopefully there are humans in management who get it. What a sucky day. **hugs**

Comment by rxkerber

December 22, 2009 @ 12:44 am

What an awful day. Why don’t people think they have any responsibility for their OWN medications. DO they yell at the clerk at WalMart if they are out of their toilet paper???? OK Walmart’s never out, but you get my drift.

How is the widow? How are you dealing with this?? And Mr Chick?

Comment by Michigan

December 23, 2009 @ 6:46 am

Can’t you call the police on these rude people and charge them with harassment, or at least disorderly conduct? I mean, you have the video cameras right there filming the whole thing. At least it would discourage them from ever coming back to your store.

Oh wait, management wouldn’t like losing that $3 sale. The CEO gots to get his bonus, y’all!

Comment by RxMomma

December 24, 2009 @ 9:44 pm

PC….that sucks. Really horrible for your neighbor and then you have the day from hades to accompany that. Retail sucks that way, never being able to take off when needed.

Anyway….. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and hope you find a better job in the New Year.

Comment by Mickey Blue Eyes

January 4, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Ditto what everyone else said.

The two dumbarses who waited two days and 10 minutes before closing probably thought that since ObamaCare was passed by Congress, that made all health care providers government employees.

The dumbarses are clearly out of line and your reaction, based on everything that had happened up to that moment, was understandable to non-management types. Management types (aka PHBs) have had their heart and common sense excised in business school.

The dumbarses haven’t learned that a bad decision and poor planning on their part does not result in a crisis on your part. Also, if you want someone to go out of their way and do you a favor, pissing them off is not a good tactic to take.