What? Could you repeat that?

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:07 am on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sometimes a customer interaction borders on the sublime. This was such an interaction, one that just was so odd that all I could do was laugh at its absurdity.

The phone rings and it was this customer that we don’t see much anymore. Other than an occasional antibiotic and their annual flu shot, these people have elected to use mail order for their pharmacy. (what ever floats your boat I suppose). So it was a surprise when she called and said ” I need to get a prescription refilled”, since the last time she RE-filled anything was over 2 years ago. “Alice, you don’t have any prescriptions on file here any more that CAN be refilled.” I said. (drum roll) “Oh” she said “I don’t want YOU to refill anything for me”. “I want to order them thru my mail order but their phone is busy and I was wondering if YOU could call them for me and order it”.

I..Think…Not.

I let her down gently but with conviction that SHE had to order her own refills.

Ah, the life of a retail pharmacist.

Comment by Frantic Pharmacist

December 15, 2009 @ 1:37 pm

Of course the other favorite is when they have used mail-order for a couple of years and expect you to give them a refill on some old prescription because the mail-order has not arrived.
(“Yeah, I just need a few till my order comes. Can I pick it up today?”)

Comment by PharmacyJim

December 16, 2009 @ 4:00 pm

PC, I have had patients ask me to call and request refills, then transfer that Rx to another pharmacy. At least they told me that part up front, so I could say NO. It’s the ones who have us call and secure refills, and then have them transferred that make me bang my head on the counter.

December 16, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

How thoughtful of her. Wow.

Comment by rxkerber

December 22, 2009 @ 12:40 am

Love it!!! Like we have magic phone lines that are never busy for us. I hear this all of the time when people want to get ahold of their MD and the line is busy. Lord!! Keep dialing and leave me alone.

Comment by Loren Pechtel

August 23, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Elected to use mail order?? More like pushed into it by the insurance companies.