It is what it is!

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 5:03 pm on Monday, November 2, 2009

Often Pharmacy Chick is called to counsel on subjects of utmost importance to a customer…the process of pooping.   Of all the ailments I offer advice on, (colds, flu, cough, athletes foot, vitamins, allergy eyes, dandruff…well you get it), Constipation and diarrhea seem to top the list for IMPORTANCE and adherence to my advice.  Rarely does anybody question my wisdom…why I don’t know.  Maybe I look like defecation expert.

Today I received a call from a lady whose daughter had surgery and was given narcotics.  True to form they caused some constipation and she wanted some help for the daughter.  I felt it was important to narrow down exactly what she needed so I asked the question.  “does she feel like she HAS to poop and just can’t get it out or does she just want to poop in the future?”    The answer to that led me to suggest Bisacodyl suppositories for her to provide the immediate relief she was desiring.  I hung up the phone and the relief tech next to me was standing there gaped mouth  “DID you just say POOP to her?”.  I told her that her ears functioned perfectly, Yes I did say “poop”.   She was aghast.

Look, I talk in regular English.  Why use a Dollar word when a 10 cent word works just as well?

Poop is poop.  Aren’t we supposed to be understood?

Thats what I thought.  Thank. you.

Comment by Karen

November 2, 2009 @ 8:35 pm

I calls it as I sees it! And it are poop! (better than cr*p or worse!)

And I’d agree, that’s probably the number one counseling question if you add them up by categories!

November 3, 2009 @ 4:23 am

“Maybe I look like defecation expert.”

Does that mean you look like sh…?

oh yea, thanks for that dr Grumpy. Reminds me of the old Mel Brooks movie “History of the world part II” Theres a scene in there near the end where the King needs to escape and it is discovered that he bears a strong resemblance to the “piss boy”. His advisor exclaims ” Sire! you look like the piss boy!” to which the none-to-happy king replies “And you look like a bucket of shit!”…

Comment by james

November 3, 2009 @ 6:11 am

I hate words like that, I have social anxiety but i manage to hide it behind my white coat but i find words like that give me trouble.

I dont want to say ‘poo’, but faeces sounds to clinical and may not be understood
I dont want to say ‘your bits’ but i the words penis and vagina seem silly to me.

Our elderly patients have no such problem with their words, they will just blurt out whatever they want
“do you have any cream, my vagina lips are very dry” an elderly woman may say in front of a long line. I really wish I was able to do that

Comment by Jade

November 3, 2009 @ 12:35 pm

Makes one wonder what the dear lady thought you should’ve called it? Solid elimination by-products? In the hospital it’s easier abbreviate it as BM on the label, but one cannot always be assured this is widely understood by the general public, so it usually has to be spelled out as ‘bowel movement’. (Sometimes, it’s a challenge for creativity to fit meaningful words in exactly 45 characters, including the dead spaces.)

No job too big or small, we handle them all…

Comment by Pharmacy Mike

November 3, 2009 @ 8:42 pm

I hate the constipation questions more than anything.

I can’t recall a time in my entire life when I’ve been constipated. I have absolutely no experience with the condition, and pretty much the only thing I know about laxatives are that they all work if you give a high enough dose.

I swear people put way too much emphasis on being “regular.” Some people complain that they’re constipated if they don’t go for one day. Some people complain if instead of going in the morning, they didn’t have to go until the afternoon. This whole “being regular” thing drives me crazy.

Comment by Shalom (R.Ph)

November 4, 2009 @ 4:15 pm

The only time I ever used an obscenity to a patient in the course of my professional career was when I was working in the deep inner city. Customer, a girl in her teens, was asking how she’d know if her boyfriend had a bleeding ulcer, so I tried to tell her of black tarry stool, but she didn’t know any of the common synonyms for stool (feces, bowel movement, etc.). I finally said, “When he does a sh*t, does it look like what they pave the street with?” That, she understood. Never occurred to me to try “poop”. I have two children now; of course that’s the first word I’d think of today. (Can’t think why I didn’t call it a “Number Two” either.)

When I was growing up, the euphemism in vogue was B.M., for what that’s worth. I didn’t even find out that it was an abbreviation until years later, it was just a word: beeyem = poop. (And I remember asking my grandfather, who’d first used the phrase “move your bowels” in my hearing, first what “bowels” were, and second, how come you say move your bowels when all you’re really moving is what’s inside them? He didn’t have an answer for that one.)

Comment by Phat

November 7, 2009 @ 10:42 am

Hell sometimes I have trouble saying poop without giggling like an eight year old. Since I assume you did so without giggling, bravo to you.

Comment by Phat

November 8, 2009 @ 12:38 pm

Actually you know what’s weird, you and I posted about poop at about the same damn time…

Comment by james

November 9, 2009 @ 6:14 am

with regards to everyone being regular, i have this one lady who keeps coming in for constipation medication because she hasnt been. we all know about her and her personal problems, so we always make sure to ask when was the last time she ate. it seems so hard to explain to someone why they havent had a poo if they havent eaten in 3 days.

Comment by Rxtech

November 9, 2009 @ 1:52 pm

Yesterday when I was working with my pharmacist she was counseling on stomach pains for a kid and she said does it feel like he has to poop and when I heard that, I thought of you lol

Comment by Magatha

November 10, 2009 @ 9:23 am

Hey, thanks for just asking the question and saying “poop”. When you have IBS like I do, it’s helpful to imagine that the person I have to ask for advice is being matter-of-fact and plain-spoken about it. It’s bad enough trying to manage the symptoms without feeling like the symptoms make me seem like a bad joke.

Comment by Tim

December 9, 2009 @ 11:57 am

I work for Hospice and virtually all of our patients are on opioids. I never take an order for an opioid without also requesting an order for DOSS and senna. The Hospice nurses have nicknamed me “Tim the Stool Man.”