When life is too short

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 9:39 am on Sunday, August 23, 2009

Occasionally a person comes into another’s life and leaves a mark.  Sometimes that person doesn’t even realize he/she has left that mark, but for the recipient, its as permanent as a tattoo.  My friend Kevin is that such person.

I wrote about him in a funny post a long time ago.  He is a physician, an oncologist actually and one night he called me about a half hour before we closed.  He was at the hospital and was running late. He asked if there was ANY way I could stay late so he could drop by and pick up his own prescription a little after we closed.  “OF course”, I said. “Just come to the pharmacy..it will be closed but I will be there”.  He arrived about 20 minutes after we closed.  He was clearly tired after a very long day but he was most gracious, as always and thanked me profusely.  At the end of the conversation he added “You know, if there is anything I can do for you, just let me know”  I told him “I know what you do for a living…I hope I never have to need what you have to offer!!”  and we both had a belly laugh and thus began a friendship.

One of the things that draws me to a person is their eyes.  There is a reason that it is said that the eyes are the window to the soul.  They reveal more about a person than anybody realizes.  Kevin had very compassionate eyes.  They were deep and dark and kind.   It was clear he cared about his work, his patients, and his life.  After that night, everytime he came in, we always had a polite conversation and he always asked how I was doing..etc.  He was being caring…even in this very small way….to me, just a pharmacist who filled his prescriptions.  He left a mark.

Today I read his obituary in the paper.  He died in a tragic fishing accident.  I wept in the car on the way to work over this friend.

Damn it all anyways…and damn the water that took him.

He never knew about the mark he left on me.  He had family who loved him much and mourns him greatly.

I can ony hope that I can be a person who can leave a similar mark on somebody.

Comment by Karen H

August 23, 2009 @ 7:37 pm

Oh, Chick. Tears in my eyes. Each morning before leaving for work I pray that God will enable me to be that person, the difference to someone… and to give me His armor, as well! I SO have cried over those few wonderful people… so sorry for your loss. And glad you were able to see through that window to his soul.

August 25, 2009 @ 5:45 am

Sorry. That’s awful.

I think you already have. On many.

Comment by PharmacyJim

August 26, 2009 @ 4:57 pm

I agree with Dr. Grumpy….you have and will continue to make that mark. I am sorry for your (and his family’s) loss.

Comment by Square Peg Guy

August 28, 2009 @ 12:53 pm

I’m sorry for your loss.

“The eyes are a window to the soul” was something I came across way back when I was a teenager. From reading your blog, I expect that your eyes are clear, warm and bright!

Peace.

thank you for your kind thoughts. I have always found that a person’s eyes reveal more truth than their mouths can deny!

Comment by Stephanie

September 6, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

OMG. I was reading this, smiling and thinking of all those wonderful patients I have and my memories with them…..When I got to the end, my hand flung over my heart. Im almost in shock. Thats just so horrible and it rings so close to home. I just lost a friend in a tragic fishing accident and everytime I think of the lake or someone says the name of those waters I almost cant stand it. Im so sorry. This is horrible.

Comment by Mike

September 24, 2009 @ 1:55 pm

Just by writing this entry about your friend, you’ve made a mark… by opening up and being honest, and in taking the time to notice a quality about someone is in itself a reward and noteworthy.

I don’t know you personally, but thank you for writing something heartfelt. It reminds us all that there should be more to life than just impersonal contact, and to do something nice each day however small an action it may seem.