Games people play.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 7:18 pm on Sunday, June 21, 2009

I should have handed him a deck of cards and said “if you are gonna play games with me, I’d rather you use these”.   He had about 5 teeth missing and near as I could tell, had never been a patient at Chick pharmacy.  Mr Dental Disaster had brought in a bottle of insulin and said he wanted to “exchange” it. “Exchange  it for what?” I asked.  “Another bottle, this one leaked out.” He claimed he had JUST bought it and all of the insulin leaked out. He also claimed he had called somebody here and they told him to bring it back.  There were several things wrong with this scenario:  1) nobody sold anybody any insulin that day. 2) any returns need to be discussed with the Chick and nobody called me about any insulin return, 3)  I have NEVER seen any bottle of insulin “leak” and 4) the rubber stopper looked dirty as if it had been entered several times with a needle.  He had a receipt in the bag he brought it but it was for $4.95.  (clearly not for the insulin purchase)and he “couldn’t find” the insulin box.

I declined to exchange it.

A few days prior a lady brought in a bottle of tylenol chewables. SHE wanted to exchange it also.  Her claim was that she JUST bought it and it was nothing but powder.  I opened it up and it certainly was powder.  BUT again, there were a few inconsistencies with this story.  1)  the bottle looked as though it had been in somebody’s purse for a LONG time. The cap was dirty and the label was worn. 2) the exp date on the container was 5-2010.  In theory, if she “just” bought it, the exp dates would be similar.  Our shelf product was already into 2011, and lastly,  she had no box (for somebody who “just” bought it).  Again, I declined to exchange the product, but since it was an OTC item, I deferred to the store manager.  Since he didn’t come back and ask about it, I can only assume he declined also.

Do I look gullible and stupid?  Do I appear to have the IQ of a stone?  Come on people.  I can see right thru these scams.  You  bring me dirty worn out product and try to tell me its new but defective, I am gonna call you on it.  I realize there are some businesses that will take back anything no questions asked.  There is a legendary story that one major luxury clothing store refunded some person for some tire chains.  (they dont carry tire chains).  While I doubt the validity of that story, it does serve to remind us that if you give somebody an inch they will a mile…with a smile.

Pharmacy chick’s company isn’t quite that gullible, and in recent days had become a little more conservative about their returns.  I understand that we need to be accountable for what we sell.  We do NOT need to have blind eyes to getting ripped off.

And, I didn’t.

Comment by jen

June 22, 2009 @ 9:32 am

Reminds me of when I was in high school and a teacher was telling us about something that had happened that weekend, while she’d been at one of the nicer clothing stores in the mall, just browsing through dresses.

Woman walks in, walks up to the rack next to her, takes a dress from the rack, walks over to the counter (close enough for Teacher to hear what she was saying), and says she’d bought the dress 2 days before and needs to return it. Cashier looks at this dress that’s on the hanger but not in a garment bag, and asks for a receipt. Woman says she doesn’t have it with her. Cashier says she’ll have to call her manager. Woman gets all abusive. Manager comes over because of the noise, and woman tries to claim Cashier was being inapproriate, then demands a refund of her money.

About this time, Teacher walks over and tells Manager that she saw the woman walk in without the dress, take it off the rack, then ask for a refund.

Woman was apparently *shocked* that someone would intervene – apparently she tried to tell Teacher to mind her own business.

Don’t know what happened after that, but I still remember the story just because of the sheer brazen gall of that woman.
I praise that teacher for standing up for what was right and just.

Comment by Wendie

June 22, 2009 @ 10:15 am

What’s sad is when you tell these customers that you will not take back or exchange these products because it’s against company policy and the law and they want to talk to corporate… Corporate always says take it back. Makes it kind of pointless to even fight when corporate won’t even back up your decision/policy.

Last week had a lady buy Plan B. Came back two days later wanting to return it because she got her menstrual cycle. I say no, next day the district manager calls and says give her a refund. Really??? Makes me sick!
you got my vote on that one. I learned a long time ago that there is a difference between “policy” and law. Law stands on its own. Policy is only required to be held by the subjugated at the company. When questioned by my employees why I did such and such (in certain circumstances), I ask them, “if they go above ME, what do you suppose corporate will do?” They usually nod and move on. I felt pretty good that these two weren’t going to anybody but me.

Comment by Wendie

June 22, 2009 @ 10:18 am

Also, the Plan B was already used… I got an empty box, she got her 50 dollars back.

Comment by Chris

June 22, 2009 @ 11:50 am

Here’s another return story – I’m working at a large retail store one day, at the return desk, and a family comes in with a big brown paper bag. Each member of said family is – large. Very large. The woman plops the bag down and informs us she wants to return this item, because it broke and is clearly defective. I open the bag and it’s a TOILET SEAT – a very WELL USED, UNCLEANED toilet seat that has cracked in half. We didn’t take it back, but they threw a fit, yelled at the manager, etc.
I’m sorry, but that is just gross. I would have refused to touch it.

Comment by Frantic Pharmacist

June 22, 2009 @ 12:40 pm

Once in a awhile I have someone try to return a prescription because it “didn’t work.” People just don’t get that part — once you fill it, it’s YOURS.
I also had a woman try to return her OTC phenazopyridine because it didn’t work and stained her underwear. Apparently didn’t read the box at all…

Comment by CPhT

June 24, 2009 @ 5:12 am

We have people begging to return prescriptions all the time. I just can’t fathom how people seem to think it’s okay to return it. Would you ask your doctor for a refund because you went home with your head cold and felt better a day later? No. So, why should you ever think it’s okay to return a prescription?! I don’t understand humanity.

June 29, 2009 @ 5:49 am

You are neither stupid or gullible, but these bozos figure they have nothing to lose by asking.

Good for you for telling them to eat rocks!

Comment by chris

June 30, 2009 @ 5:01 am

I had someone phone our head office because I wouldnt give them a refund or exchange, they brought some baby products up to my counter and said they had bought these the day before and they were defective and demanded their money back. It was a bottle steriliser and a bottle warmer.

The problem was however, we use those little anti-shoplifter tags on all our expensive electricals and the tags on both were still intact. I mentioned this and they told me the girl hadnt taken them off. I was in the day before and we didnt have any alarms go off, which are very loud and i can hear them very clearly. She didnt have a reciept or any other proof of purchase. I think from this its pretty obvious that she is lying, but she phoned up head office and ranted that I was calling her a thief that she be given store credit.

They phoned me and relayed this to me that the decision had been made to refund her and give her an extra 15% store credit for her incovenience. What is the point when clearly the customer is lying? why is this customer, who all the evidence incriminates believed over all the staff (none of whom remember selling any electricals at all).

I flat out refused to do the refund to head office who said they would send my regional down to me to sort it out. Thankfully my regional manager saw sense and backed me up. But why did head office make that decision and whose decision was it to make. It’ll happen again no doubt
somebody at the head office made that decision because it was easier to placate a “customer” even if that customer was a thief. Its sort of like the parent who placates their bratty kids by bribery even tho they end up with the worst kids on the planet. corporations reward their worst customers by giving them gift cards and refunds and seemingly ignore the long time loyal ones.
Its a phenom I don’t understand. Its kinds of like the gift card promos they offer in pharmacies. they only attract a certain kind of people. You steal one of theirs, then next month they steal it back and the customer only uses their rx as a pawn to gain money.

Comment by Andrea

July 16, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

I don’t know about your policy, but at my pharmacy we don’t break open boxes of insulin pens. I had a woman the other day who wanted us to replace a defective lantus solostar pen for her. Back in December she had two defective pens, we contacted the MFR and got them to give her a brand new box of (five) pens. She wanted us to call again since another (single) pen was defective. I had to explain to her that the MFR already gave her 3 additional pens back in December, and I would not call for her again until she has problems with her 6th pen.
Funny, she is the only person who has ever had a problem with insulin pens.