Why do we care about these people??

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 4:23 pm on Friday, June 12, 2009

Pharmacy Chick was in the checkout line purchasing her daily supply of carbonated caffeine.  I must have it or there will be a crabby Chick at around 10 am daily.  As I was waiting to check out my eyes turned to all the tabloids for the week.  If we were to believe that the tabloids print only those things we care about, then apparently Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and John and Kate (and their brood) are the hottest topics around.  Without exception, one or both of these subjects graced the cover of every single one.

I say ” who the (insert your expletive of choice) cares?”  I dont know them personally, and they don’t know me.  I don’t care who is fighting with who, who is having an affair, and I also don’t care what countries they are jetting off to to adopt children.

Enough already!  A show of hands of who agrees with me???

BUT, if you come up with a diet where I can lose weight while eating chocolate pudding and powdered donut holes, then I’ll buy it…

Comment by pharmapplicants

June 12, 2009 @ 5:12 pm

totally agree, our society cares more about useless, trivial celebrity news than anything even remotely important. the only magazine i subscribe to is popular science.
Golf magazines, Smithsonian and National Geographic in my house.

Comment by Heather Head

June 12, 2009 @ 5:27 pm

Gosh I so agree! Why are we so concerned with other’s lives when there is so much stuff going on in our own lives that is more deserving of our time, energy and emotions?

I guess I’ll never understand it…

~HH

Comment by Pharmacy Princess

June 12, 2009 @ 7:11 pm

I disagree, actually. I’m totally down with some escapism, especially when it involves people as attractive as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. It’s kind of like… wow, this person has relationship problems/family fueds, etc., just like me! But they’re rich and fabulous and good-looking, so they’re not like me and therefore exotic and interesting!

I mean, pharmacy life IS certainly full of drama, but with

much less pretty players

. 😛
I bet if you took the thousand dollar makeup off these celebs, you’d find they look pretty much like you and I, and vis a vera, Most anybody would look hot if you put the same makeup on them.

Comment by Lovely, CPhT

June 12, 2009 @ 7:56 pm

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll never understand why people buy those rags.

Comment by Johnny

June 12, 2009 @ 8:24 pm

This world is full of static, full of noisy things that vie for our attention. There are a thousand things at any one time trying to distract us from what’s important at the end of the day and the end of this life.

Keeping your focus is just part of the game.
Always the spiritual thinker, Johnny…:-)

Comment by Jaded Rx Intern

June 12, 2009 @ 9:01 pm

From your lips to God’s (or your deity of choice’s) ears!!

June 13, 2009 @ 8:39 am

Agree with you, but this is nothing new. Human nature. Won’t stop in our species’s lifetime.

You can look back hundreds of years. People have always been fascinated with lifestyles and scandals of the rich and famous.

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

June 13, 2009 @ 10:32 pm

Why do people want to read this stuff? Loretta Lynn explained it more than 40 years ago in a song:

They say to have her hair done, Liz flies all the way to France
And Jackie’s seen in a Discoteque doin’ a brand new dance
And the White House social season should be glitterin’ in gay
But here in Topeka the rain is a fallin’
The faucet is a drippin’ and the kids are a ballin’
One of ’em a toddlin’ and one is a crawlin’
And one’s on the way
I’m glad Raquel Welch just signed a million dollar pact
And Debbie’s out in Vegas workin’ up a brand new act
While the t.v.’s showin’ newly weds, a real fun game to play
But here in Topeka, the screen door’s a bangin’
The coffee’s boilin’ over and the wash needs a hangin’
One wants a cookie and one wants a changin’
And one’s on the way
Now what was I doin’? Jimmy get away from there
Darn, there goes the phone
Hello honey, what’s that you say?
You’re bringin’ a few old army buddies home?
You’re callin’ from a bar?
Get away from there! No, not you honey
I was talkin’ to the baby
Wait a minute, honey, the door bell
Honey, could you stop at the market and…hello?, hello?
Well, I’ll be…
The girls in New York City, they all march for women’s lib
And better homes and garden shows, the modern way to live
And the pill may change the world tomorrow, but meanwhile, today
Here in Topeka, the flies are a buzzin’
The dog is a barkin’ and the floor needs a scrubbin’
One needs a spankin’ and one needs a huggin’
Lord, one’s on the way
Oh gee, I hope it ain’t twins, again!

Loretta Lynn Ones On The Way lyrics

Comment by Mallory

June 14, 2009 @ 8:15 am

Ehh. If people didn’t buy them, then no one would print them.
I can’t stand them, but some people must like them.

Comment by Shalom (R.Ph)

June 14, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

I think I must have said exactly that, more than once.

Have you ever noticed that there are some people out there who the only thing they’re famous for is for being famous? They have no substance, all they have going for them is that they’ve got their names in the nation’s consciousness somehow.

(Then they get all annoyed because there are photographers following them everywhere. Guess what, I don’t have photographers following *me* anywhere… I wonder why that is. Live your lives like I live mine, you won’t be bothered by paparazzi.)

I don’t watch TV, and I go to very few movies, so I have absolutely no idea who in the world all these people are in those magazines, and why enough people care about them to make said magazines profitable. There’s one gossip rag called “Us”; don’t you think it would be more appropriate if it was called “Them”?

Yes, I have noticed that many are famous for being famous (but how, I don’t know). Because I am not a movie goer and I rarely watch network TV, unless the Red sox are on, I dont know who most of these people are. The only brad pitt movie I have ever seen was Meet Joe Black, I have never seen any Survivor, American Idol, Star’s dancing, or anything with Donald Trump. and I agree, “Them” would be a much better magazine title :-).

Comment by Frustr8tedPharm

June 14, 2009 @ 6:57 pm

I’m *almost* ashamed to admit it…but when I come home from a 12 hr day, I will just sit on the couch and watch trash tv like access hollywood or any of those vh1 reality shows. Honestly, I need the mindless entertainment after I’m on overdrive all day. I really don’t care about these people, but I love how my mind just turns off when I’m watching them on TV. It’s almost like someone is physically flipping the “off” switch!

Comment by chris

June 16, 2009 @ 5:27 am

There is nothing like a little schaudenfreud (no idea if spelt right) to cheer you up. We just love to watch them fall on their faces, whether professionally or personally. Look at britney spears, she is just some generic teen warbler, she was popular for a time, but i bet she has been in more magazines and papers for the latter half of her career.

I hate famous for being famous, or famous for doing everyday stuff. videoing yourself having sex for example, why is that the way to instant stardome? I have been doing it for years but havent been “discovered” yet, maybe i could be the next paris hilton. Gee, Chris, did you really want to share this with all of blogdom???

And then there is the lowest of the low, game show contestants, big brother, survivor etc? what talent did you possible show other than being a skank

Comment by chris

June 17, 2009 @ 5:21 am

haha, i didnt mean the video tape bit.
Okey dokey, if you say so…I say Just be careful about showing your friends your home videos…..:-)