Going it alone..

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 9:41 pm on Saturday, May 30, 2009

Remember my post “Character Flaw?”  Well, my flaw reared its ugly head again when the same floater tech sho called in sick 3 times last month, called in again today, leaving me to run the pharmacy alone on a Saturday.  She is so toast.

For 5 hours today there was one staff member running the pharmacy….ME.

I got the call…excuse me…MESSAGE…before we opened.  (insert your favorite expletive here) What am I going to do, we usually do over 100 on saturdays

I called every tech whose last name I knew and could find.  No such luck.  At 9 am I hit the ground running. I was behind the 8 ball from the start and about all I could accomplish was keeping the line moving at the checkstand and occasionally pulling a script from the pile of ‘waiters’.   It was getting deeper and deeper.  Occasionally the line would disappear and I could attack the pile of prescriptions.

Only once did I think I would lose it.  I had at least 6 people in line and one wanted a vaccination.  She was a patient woman thank goodness. This other lady was at the drop off window in a scooter cart.  She handed me 8 refills and 5 new rx’s and wanted to wait.  I told her it was not going to happen and explained why.  She got immediately pissy ” I need everything as soon as possible, I am sick.” I stood over my pile of 30+ rx’s I was behind and prayed “God, you knew this would happen , but I didn’t ,please help me.”

The prescriptions didn’t vanish. The rx’s didn’t fill themselves. I still had just as much work, but the pissy woman went away and inexplicably, the counter went quiet. I worked feverishly to get caught up and then at 1:30 one of the techs I called returned my call.  She said she would be in as soon as she could.

By 2 pm, Tech Extraordinare arrived.  It took most of the next hour to catch up, but we did it.  I am extremely angry  at the tech who flaked out on me again, but very grateful for the provision that God provided in getting me thru this day.

But I am not in any hurry to repeat it.

May 31, 2009 @ 5:10 am

Ya done good, P.C.

Comment by BrandNewPharmacist

May 31, 2009 @ 10:24 am

PC, it is great that you knew who to go to for help. I pray a lot for issues work related and God always has my back. He had it when I missed the directions on liquid potassium and almost killed the guy with 20X the dose. If he didnt call back to clarify…. well, it would have been all over for me. But God intervened! He deserves all praise and so much more!

Comment by Jaded Rx Intern

May 31, 2009 @ 10:51 am

Way to go, PC. For the past 7 years, I tried to be the Tech/Intern Extraordinaire because I know how much of a hassle it can be when you’re short-staffed (I once did a whole semester of Tuesday nights knowing it would only be me and a pharmacist from 6pm to 7pm when another intern would show up; seriously, who makes a schedule like that). Hopefully, it will earn me some brownie points with Karma when I get licensed…

Comment by sumotoad

May 31, 2009 @ 9:10 pm

You did great, and I admire you. I would have done the same at one time. Now, though, since being the manager and PIC means nothing to the corporate ayholes I work for (they even hired my staff pharmacist without telling me or allowing me to be in on the interview)… I simply tell my junior-college dropout store manager who has more POWER than I do, “Hey, you got a problem. Let me know when a tech shows up and I’ll open the pharmacy.”

Comment by AshleyM.

May 31, 2009 @ 10:49 pm

wow…that is awful! But, yay God! So enlightening that you stopped (albeit, not physically, I’m sure!) and prayed. And, shortly you had reenforcement!!! Awesome.

Comment by RxMomma

June 1, 2009 @ 6:51 am

Wow… I am so impressed that you took a deep breath and prayed in the midst of the craziness. Well done…. for God AND you AND Tech Extraordinaire.

Comment by Johnny

June 1, 2009 @ 9:46 am

Yes! You called on your Father, and He answered. Take that invaluable lesson from this aggravating day.

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God” (Philippians 4:6).

Keep on truckin’!

Comment by bluetowelboy

June 2, 2009 @ 8:56 am

Good job! Hope it never happens again to you. I’ve had that happen and while it’s going on I’ve thought this is my last day in pharmacy I can’t do this again. Feels good when it’s over though.

Keep your chin up and your head down.

Comment by buttercuprx

June 2, 2009 @ 9:13 pm

Been there sister…hard to live through…just discovered your blog today and I think it may give me the strength to return to work tomorrow to work day 9 of a 12 day stretch—thanks to a pharmacist who decided one day not to work anymore-starting that day. I’ll remember your prayer and try a similar one when I am in need!

Comment by brother frankie

June 23, 2009 @ 2:34 pm

“he provision that God provided” well said, very well said.

Thanks for acknowledging Him. Gods provision is awesome..