Tweet Tweet (not twitter)

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 5:41 pm on Friday, May 29, 2009

It was a hot day in Chickville and the upstairs was feeling the impact of its western exposure.  As the pleasant temps of the evening set in,  we opened all the windows and let the breezes blow thru.  Nice.

We decided to sleep with all our windows open.  Other than the occasional dog barking that would wake up our own two barking machines, we had a pleasant night…until 4:42 am.

Tweet, Tweet, Screech Squawk!  Every bird in the neighborhood had awakened, and was heralding the new day. Half asleep I scrambled around and shut all the windows to get a couple more precious hours of sleep!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm…

I say “who wants worms?”

May 29, 2009 @ 6:20 pm

When Mrs. Grumpy and I went to Hawaii on our honeymoon she had the idea of leaving all the windows open one night to hear the waves. That changed REAL FAST when she get blown out of bed by ever f–k–g Myna bird in the Pacific start screeching outside the window at 4:30 in the morning.
when the Chicks went to Hawaii and visited some friends, we stayed at their residence: a beautiful house on 2 acres. They owned some peacocks. They justly warned us. At 5 am every morning the peacocks left the branches that they slept in and landed on the roof of their house and started pounding on it with their feet. It was time for “Breakfast”. It sounded like a police raid.

Comment by kira

May 29, 2009 @ 9:04 pm

One word: Magpies. They are the most annoying bird on the entire planet. I will never live in Alberta again!
And how stupid was that worm for getting up so early himself, no?

Comment by AshleyM.

May 29, 2009 @ 10:44 pm

for the first time ever, I’ve actually thought about that phrase, “the early bird gets the worm.”

Suddenly I feel both “AAhhhh” & “AHHHHH” The first, b/c I realized the basis for the phrase, and the latter…b/c geez!! how flighty can a girl be for NOT realizing that!!

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

May 29, 2009 @ 11:40 pm

I remember the first time I ever stayed up all night, and the feeling has remained with me since: being awake when the birds woke up. The night is dead quiet until then. In New England where I grew up, we’d get the two-tone tweet in the wee hours, “bee-burr, bee-burr.” Hearing that sound meant that either I was either a bird or an insomniac.

Comment by BrandNewPharmacist

May 30, 2009 @ 9:03 am

‘Early bird might get the worm, but late mouse gets the cheese.’