More Pre-holiday Weirdness

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 7:50 am on Friday, May 22, 2009

We all know that the days before holidays are oh-so-much fun in the pharmacy. Normally brilliant (or at least competent) humanoids become completely stupid.  I see it all day.  Today was simple weirdness all over the place.  In a nutshell:

Screaming kids day.  I swear it was in stereo all day.  Were all the day care centers closed?  Did all parents say “Boy, little Johnny is a brat today, Lets take him shopping and see how he fares there!”  After several such assaults on my ears I turned to my unsuspecting tech and asked “Wheres the duct tape?”  She said, “In the drawer, need some?”  I said “yes, then bring me the kid and a garbage bag”.  She about spit her soda across the counter.

Mock emergencies:  I had 3-4 separate incidents where “I am out of refills, out of pills and leaving tomorrow”  Well, good luck with that buddy.  Call your dr, explain your own idiocy to his staff and let them decide your fate.

Cryptic phone messages:  “I just left a prescription on your automatic system and I need it right away”  No name…no return phone number…no rx number…and the message was left at 4 am.  Sorry.  nobody here at 4 am.

Crash carts?  Little old ladies (and men) in motorized carts is a recipe for disaster.  First of all they are way oversized for our store.  Built like mini semi-trucks they have a grocery basket on the front and drive like a freaking car.  These people shouldn’t be driving, period, and they are driving inside of a store.  This lady smashed into my spinner rack of droppers/pill cutters/7-day pill holders.  She caught her basket in it.  Tech extraordinare rescued her and un-hooked her.  5 seconds later she did it AGAIN only this time decided NOT to ask for help and proceeded to pull the entire rack crashing to the floor scattering the display in all directions.  It took us 2 hours to sort that puzzle out.

Out of Towners:  I expect these, after all, I’ve been here too long not to.  Somebody from  Outer State brings me his empty carvedilol bottle…”I gotta have these, and we are going camping tomorrow”.   It was 8 pm.  I sold him 3 tabs for $7.  I could tell he expected them free. ( I guess I am a charity) He knew better to whine, so he paid his $7 and moved on.

I wonder what today will bring…

Happy Holiday! PC will be outside ALL weekend!

Comment by kira

May 22, 2009 @ 8:52 am

I had to giggle at the bratty kids. In high school I worked at a toystore – it’s a miracle my own children even exist after what I saw there on a daily basis. You’re lucky though, you work in a pharmacy. Can’t you slip something in their Koolaid? 😉

Comment by Deb - Tech in ON

May 22, 2009 @ 9:34 am

It was like this at our pharmacy yesterday too. Lots of stupid people who couldn’t take simple directions to find things on shelves (2nd isle, right hand side, about half way down the isle, and at hip height). People expecting us to magically know the price of everything instantly from behind the counter.. AND there was no pleasing anyone. Also, like you, we had problems attached to lots of RXs… narcs written with refills and no interval, no limited use #s, people without refills wanting emergency supplies… was it a full moon last night? That was our speculation….

May 22, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

I HATE it when people bring unruly kids wiht them to an appointment. They trash my office, knock over my fishbowl, throw pens.

And it’s always a woman with migraines, who tells me (while her kids are running amuck) that she has no reason to be stressed.

Comment by PharmacyJim

May 22, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

LOL Chick. I also love the folks who show up 10 minutes after opening, and upon finding out that their Rx is not ready, say “But I called it in at 10PM last night.” Yep, I’ve got to get my non-existent night shift to do a better job. I do love my holidays off, but you are right about the day before (and the day after, catching up, for that matter).

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

May 22, 2009 @ 9:45 pm

My childhood years were about 1955 through 1964. I keep asking my mother if I ever screamed in public, and she says no, never. I remember just having the sense that one is not supposed to scream in public. Was I reading a copy of Emily Post in the womb? I don’t know. I know that my contemporaries were also scream-free. Maybe there were “no screaming” zones? I came from a time in which talking was absolutely forbidden in school, and at certain times in the classroom that we were to sit at our desks with our hands folded. I have a friend who is about 30 years older than I am who doesn’t believe I was subjected to that kind of discipline in public school, but I sure was.

But, I do know this: if I EVER screamed in front of my parents and other people, I guarantee you that I only did it once.
I asked the same thing of my Mother once too and she answered similarily. She would have no part of the tantrums. If I misbehaved, we went home. no bribes, bargaining or discussion. We learned quickly.

Comment by Johnny

May 23, 2009 @ 6:17 am

I am not a brat, thank you.

I was simply having a bad day (I didn’t take my Adderall).

How rude.
A thousand apologies to Johnny. Next time I’ll pick on Little Jimmy….