If you know pharmacy verbiage, you’ve been around too often.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 10:15 pm on Friday, May 22, 2009

The day had long since slowed down.  The store had sold about all the chips/soda/salsa and picnic supplies it had.  Everybody who remained were schlepping around in flip flops as I languished in my starchy uniform. 1 more hour to go.

A young man approached the counter. He looked about college age. I asked if I could help him.  “do you dispense emergency 3 day supply of medications?”.  Hmmm thats pretty pharmacy-specific language..wonder why he knows that…  As I interviewed him, I learned a few things: 1) he had come to our store exactly once…2 years ago. and 2) he was indeed in college and 3) he had clearly used (abused?) the 3-day “emergency” supply  before, and 4) he knew very well when he left campus for the weekend he had no refills remaining.

“I am waiting for my insurance to mail me my meds and when I dont have any my pharmacy always lets me buy 3 days worth.”

Ok, that reveals to the Pharmacy chick that this man doesn’t manage his drug therapy very well if he “always” needs (expects)  a pharmacist to bail him out.  This time is wasn’t going to be me for the following reasons:  1) I am not his pharmacy.  he visited here once over 2 years ago. 2)  I didnt’ have the drug anyway, Brand name Paxil CR, and 3) the Rx was long expired.   If I cannot establish a patient/dr/pharmacy relationship then I am not bailing him out.

I told him to contact his doctor and have him call the pharmacy of choice.

I also told him that if he was MY established patient with a current rx I’d probably do it.  I’m not an hard-ass. I advance a few days to people all the time….my people….In fact I might have helped him out with some generic CR had he produced a current bottle ( like I did with Mr Outa State the other day), but he didn’t bring me that either. There was just some weirdness with him using pharmacy language….what layperson uses “dispense” and “3-day emergency supply”??  Sheesh most still want me to fill their subscriptions with genetrics!

Call it tough love,  Time to grow up and be responsible.

Comment by pharmintern

May 23, 2009 @ 12:29 am

I just love the ones that come into the 24hr store I sometimes work at at say 10pm and want to have their birth control filled. Of course they have never had it filled at our chain and the prescription is at another pharmacy long since closed for the night. It really irks me when people do this and they know that they are out and the other pharmacy is closed, but then get pissy with me when I tell them I can’t as I have no way of verifying it as they don’t even have an empty package that is recent and not 2 years old for not even the current medication.

May 23, 2009 @ 6:18 am

Pharmintern- tell them if it’s that urgent, they can just go to the condom aisle and get an “alternative” to get them through until their doc can call it in.

PC, gotta agree. Very suspicious. Like the migraine patients who specifically request Demerol, and are surprisngly allergic to all triptans and NSAIDs.

Paxil isn’t something he’s going to die without after a few days, either.

Comment by CT

May 23, 2009 @ 8:37 am

We’ve had more than a couple regular patients that “caught on” to us doing emergency supplies, and if we find their profile is full of “advanced 3 days’ worth” notes on various medications, especially if they’re a hardass and act like we HAVE to fulfill their request, we tell them this information and say the emergency system is for emergencies and is not to be abused. We will contact their doctor first thing in the morning.

It’s worth taking their 5 minutes of yelling for them to finally learn their lesson and take charge of their own healthcare.

Comment by DreamingTree

May 29, 2009 @ 5:40 am

It was probably the young, college dude who lived down the street from me. He went out drinking that same night, came home, & smashed everything in & out of the house. Police came to get him & took him to the ED. No worries — they probably shot him up with something better than Paxil to get him to calm down. True story, but joking about the relationship to your college dude. 🙂

Comment by Carol

June 5, 2009 @ 12:06 pm

Yeh, my general rule is that if it won’t kill you to go without, I don’t advance it. Paxil cr would fall under the ‘you don’t get it’ side of that equation. If it was a regular client who normally is good about it, then maybe, I might. But if it is someone who does this (or tries to) regularly, then the answer is NO!

Comment by Ashley

August 26, 2015 @ 12:04 pm

I have been on Paxil for about 12 years now for anxiety and depression, and to my knowledge it has never been considered a “party drug”; I didn’t think it could be abused. I don’t know why that guy was so adamant about getting a 3 day emergency supply. All I know is that if I miss a dose or two I get withdrawals really bad because my body has been so used to it after all these years. I’ve heard and read that many doctors say that SSRIs, especially Paxil, to have the worst withdrawal effects. I’m willing to give him the benefit of a slight doubt (since I didn’t know Paxil could be abused); maybe he was just withdrawing from it. But the whole situation seems sketchy to me.