An Erma Bombeck moment

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 8:36 pm on Saturday, May 16, 2009

This evening I made myself dinner.  Mr Chick is out of town so I was free to fix myself anything I wanted so I chose this scallop dish.   As I was putting it away, I thought of Erma Bombeck.

If you have never heard of Erma, you need to immediately stop reading this and head to your library or book store and find some of her books.  She was an American humorist.  A ordinary wife and mother with a gift to write, she wrote a weekly column for newspapers and completed several books.  She wrote about exactly what she knew:  being a woman,  wife and mother. I think I have read everything she ever wrote.

One of her columns was about leftovers.  In Erma’s world, you never threw good food away:  you put it in the fridge, waited until it molded and THEN thew it away.   Why did I think of Erma?  Because I didn’t really like my scallop dish.  It got rave reviews online, but in reality it tasted like garlic flavored pencil erasers…expensive garlic flavored pencil erasers.  Mr Chick will never eat scallops.  I am in no hurry to eat my left overs.

They are in the fridge.  I’ll give ’em 2 weeks.

Comment by Johnny

May 16, 2009 @ 10:20 pm

YES! Erma would be so proud.

This post just makes me happy.

May 17, 2009 @ 3:35 am

She was wonderful. My favorite was “Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own”. It was written by her, and illustrated by Bil Keane (Family Circus cartoon).

Comment by Mallory

May 17, 2009 @ 5:04 am

I like leftovers. I often cook twice as much as needed, so that there will be leftovers in the fridge for the next day’s lunch/dinner/midnight snack.
If you didn’t like it the first time though, you ain’t gonna eat it once it’s old, cold, and solidified. Just chuck it, you’re wasting precious fridge space. (I don’t know about you, but our fridge is always packed solid like a 3-D tetris game).
I am pleased to say you can see to the back of ours. with only 2 people living in the household, we have more condiments in the fridge than actual food….the freezer on the other hand is a frozen graveyard! All my good intentions are laid to rest once I put something in the freezer…I have freezer alzheimers!

Comment by Pharmacy Mike

May 17, 2009 @ 2:09 pm

I don’t usually leave leftovers. I have a tendency to eat everything that gets put in front of me, no matter how much food there is. In the rare event that there is leftovers, I usually finish them up for my next meal.

I love scallops though. It’s a shame the recipe ended up not being too good.

Comment by AshleyM.

May 17, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

that is awesome. in our household, we store it until the man goes in to “clear out Ginny’s mold collection.”

definitely gonna check out Erma Bombeck…thanks for the suggestion!

Comment by chris

May 19, 2009 @ 5:04 am

Last time i made scallops they were lovely. I made them as a birthday treat for my partner who lived 200 miles away (thank god we live together now :D) I slaved making a great dinne for her, but the rude woman arrived with a stomach infection, how rude is that! i make a lovely dinner for it and she didnt eat a mouthful.

poor girl, she said they looked nice though.

Comment by Shalon (R.Ph)

May 19, 2009 @ 11:42 am

George Carlin had a whole speech on this.

“…But you know, leftovers make you feel good twice. Didja ever think about that? Leftovers give you two separate good feelings. When you first put them away, you feel really intelligent: I’m saving food! And then, after a month, when hair is growing out of them, and you throw them away, you feel … really intelligent: I’m saving my life!”

Comment by Shalom (R.Ph)

May 19, 2009 @ 11:51 am

oh, and my name’s Shalom, no idea why my computer stuck in an N for an M there…

Comment by Andrea

June 4, 2009 @ 9:57 am

If you do find a good scallop recipe for one do share- My hubby doesn’t like them either, but I love them