Rational thought is one of the Chick’s strong suits. I like to think things through and made sound decisions based on all the available information. Too bad not everybody thinks that way. I made a few observations in the pharmacy the other day.
1. It makes no sense to make a bottle so-called “unit of use” if the bottle is too small for a pharmacy label.
2. Conversely, it makes no sense to put a childproof cap on a 500ct bottle of anything. When’s the last time YOU slapped a label on a 500 ct bottle of Hydrocod/Apap 5-500 and sent it on its way? Do us a favor Big Pharma, give us a simple screw cap.
3. HIPAA doesn’t make a lot of sense in the pharmacy when everybody including the paper boy can pick up prescriptions for everybody else. Its not like we are tossing around PHI for everybody to see and use, but if you are going to send your spouse/friends/kids/ or whatever to pick up your Valtrex prescription, I am gonna have to counsel somebody…guess who its gonna be?
4. Likewise, that little stop sign that says “stand here for patient privacy” is a joke, unless someone is mostly deaf. Clearly, if I can hear their conversations, they can hear mine. So, if they are gonna take privacy seriously, they need to perform a major remodel or bring our standards the same as mail order: written counsel is acceptable.
5. I am required to look at the NDC number of everything when I check it. Does it have to be the item with the smallest font on the label? It makes no sense to need a magnifier to see the most important thing on the label.
6. It makes no sense to tell ME it will take your office 72 hours to authorize a refill, tell your patients. As far as I am concerned, before you stick the key in the lock at night, you should do your refills and call them in, ya lazy bum!
7. Likewise I am not your message service, if you want to see a patient, call him yourself. I’ll try to pass on the “make appointment” or “needs lab work” message, but it makes no sense to expect the pharmacy to do it. I dont ask YOU to call my patients and tell them they are over due for a refill do I?
8. It makes no sense to put me in charge of a half-million dollars worth of drugs and then tell me I have to pack my lunch in a clear plastic bag for “security”. If someone wants to steal drugs, they will. In fact, we could practice pharmacy buck naked and STILL steal drugs if somebody wanted them bad enough.
9. It makes no sense to have a prescription written for 30+11 refills and NOT be able to give 90+3 on insurance. If I were a Dr, I’d write “365 days- dispense per patient/insurance requirements”.
10. It makes no sense that a Doctor can charge a patient for a missed appointment but I can’t recoup MY expenses for prescriptions not picked up. It costs me money to fill a prescription AND more money in labor to return it.
11. It makes no sense that non pharmacists build and run pharmacies, then wonder why we revolt.
12. Medication guides every time: enough said. One is enough thank you. Either print it with the counseling materials on the receipt or forget it. Its getting out of hand.
13. It is nonsense to expect much joy from employees who dont get lunch, breaks and endure 12+ hour shifts. Likewise, what patient would want their prescriptions filled from tired, hungry and irritable staff?
14. APhA is the biggest oxymoron on the planet.