Thought I’d check out a new job

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 8:44 am on Saturday, May 24, 2008

Since the grass HAS to be greener on the other side of the fence Pharmacy Chick occasionally peruses the paper/online/whatever for different jobs outside the one she actually has (and usually would trade). Here are a few I found:

Board Inspector: Well, that one sounded interesting, until I noticed it was in a different state. I don’t have a liscence there and the commute would be killer. I am pretty detail oriented but the sound of busting fellow pharmacists for forgetting to cross out a CII Rx correctly didn’t sound like a lot of fun.

Nuclear Pharmacist: Hmmm, sounds interesting. Its been a very long time since I handled IV admixtures and I’d hate to come home glowing in the dark because I messed up a radioactive one. They said they’ll train.

NON-dispensing HIV Pharmacist: what? consulting? So what, Take this or you will die? Take this and you will still die…it will just take longer.

RPH PBM Auditor: Oh nice, do I get to pack a pistol also? I should have printed this one out so I could get it verbatim here, but somebody was stupid enough to take it so its not online anymore. The qualifications included something to this effect: Must have excellent communication skills and be able to handle potentially hostile and uncomfortable situations….Be able to deal with confrontational and threatening individuals…..Nice….since this one seems worse than the one I have, maybe this isn’t the job for me. I prefer to be liked.

Hospital pharmacist, suburban-rural setting, (former retail ok per recruiter call). I guess they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they have decided to accept an application from us retail pharmacists for their precious hospital position. Since it was local, I inquired more until she told me 7 on 7 off night shift. the 7-off is cool, but the 7-on all nighters would be a caffeine infused nightmare. I dont sleep during the day.

I guess they dont have a job for me. I need a job that doesn’t exist. …pay me to blog.

212

Comment by Carol

May 25, 2008 @ 6:21 pm

You could do what I did when I got tired of hte whole rat race. do relief work. Pros:you set your own schedule, no idiot from head office will come down with some dumbass bright idea, you don’t get sucked into employee fights, your mileage and car exoenses etc are tax deductible and holidays off if you want em.

Cons: No benefits (but you do charge more per hour to make up for it), no regular paycheque-you get paid when they remeber to write the cheque (the prompt ones get to go to the head of the line), you have to pay your own license fees

I think it was totally worth it. but everyone is different, so it might not be your cup of tea.

213

Comment by pharmacychick

May 25, 2008 @ 9:39 pm

Thanks, I have thought about it, but I hate driving and I live in a metro area. The idea of driving all over to unfamiliar stores hasn’t sold me on relief work yet, but there’s still time for me to change my mind!

214

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

May 26, 2008 @ 6:35 pm

Don’t put yourself down, PC! Hospital positions are still available for retail pharmacists. I was one, and I’ve been in hospital practice since 1993 after 13 years in retail practice beforehand.

215

Comment by pharmacychick

May 26, 2008 @ 8:26 pm

I just wonder if any of the things I am an expert in would translate into hospital work. I may bite if I had a chance at a day job. My life doesn’t support night shifts.

Comment by Elaine Ignots

September 4, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

So…just reading your old posts, quite amusing. I’d pay to read your blog!!