A message from Scott.

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 6:44 pm on Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hello everybody, I just HAD to share this comment with everybody who reads my blog. This is an assessment from “Scott” of his opinion of what we do for a living. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Feel free to comment in ANY way you feel appropriate. I have bold printed some very “special” sections that I’d love you to pay attention to….Pharmacy Chick

It begins here:………….

I’ve been reading your blog and you seem to be upset when people treat you no better than a cashier at Walmart. To top it off, you compare what you do for a living (counting pills and dropping them in a bottle) with the work of skilled trades like carpenters, electricians, and plumbers who work on your house.

Let’s face it: You work behind a counter in a retail store, you hand things that you didn’t build or produce to people and then you take their money. Why would you expect people (customers) to treat you any differently than a Walmart cashier?

Yes, you may have invested $150,000 more in your schooling than the person wearing the Walmart smock but what else separates you? Why should customers treat you like a deity?

By your own admission, you draw a pretty serious salary. I think you should just cash your humongous paychecks and try to give people the service they think they want or deserve. You are not a wise old doctor who is treating a patient. You are simply counting 100 pills (which you did not invent or manufacture) and putting them in a plastic bottle.

I have seen “medication vending machines” in the lobby of hospital emergency departments. I can’t wait for the day when these automatic dispensing machines are available in every supermarket. I don’t need to talk to someone who went to college for eight years just to get another thirty days worth of a medication I’ve been taking for years. I want to put my credit card in a machine, press a few buttons and have my prescription drop into a chute.

I get nearly all of my refills via Medco (mail order). I like using my PC to order medication refills in the middle of the night and then seeing the meds in my mailbox in a few days. I don’t need someone who is making $150,000/yr to put three Advair 100/50’s in an envelope and mail them to me. Some college kid getting $12/hour can do that. I can’t stand going to Walgreens and being told “you have to wait for the pharmacist to come over and talk to you before you can leave the store with your new prescription.” Why doesn’t that rule apply when I purchase meds through Medco?

I’m sorry that customers treat you like dirt. But look at the scene from my side of the counter: You are handing a product over the counter and taking money from the customer. In the customer’s mind, you are not very much different than a cashier at Walmart or the college kid working the cash register at a gas station.

183

Comment by AZ_RPh

May 18, 2008 @ 9:08 pm

Scott is either a troll trying to bait you, or sorely lacking in grey matter if he truly believes that we are paid 6-digit salaries to merely put pills in a vial. …either way, his comments really don’t warrant a response.

184

Comment by AJA

May 18, 2008 @ 10:22 pm

Wow, Scott is somewhat retarded. By his reasoning, since we have WebMD, he shouldn’t need to see a doctor when he’s sick because he can figure it out by himself.

He can write himself some shit and use the rx vending machine. Hopefully he doesn’t have a bad reaction or take something he shouldn’t. No worries, he can call the rx machine if something happens or talk to himself (he’s diagnosed himself) when shit goes wrong.

I’m sure Scott can also get that rx machine to compound some shit for him if he needs something other than an off the shelf med.

We also need to look at what Scott does for a living and see how we can possibly replace his ass with a robot/machine someday. I’m pretty sure his wife/gf has already replaced one of Scott’s “jobs” with a machine. Seeing as how Scott tends to oversimplify things, I’m betting his simple approach to pleasing her in bed isn’t quite doing the job.

185

Comment by marty h

May 19, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

Scott is more than somewhat retarded. He is a complete jackass with a bad case self delusion. I am sick and tired of fixing medco mistakes. When it happens to him and when he goes to his local Walgreen or other local pharmacy, hopefully, they will just tell him to call Medco. Better yet just take it. That $12 an hour grunt who filled it must know what they are doing. With any luck his dick will turn green, petrify and fall off, then he can go fuck himself. They don’t take the time or make the effort to talk to you about your prescription at Medco because they don’t give a tinkers damn about you. Only how much money they can squeeze out of your insurance company.

186

Comment by The Ole' Apothecary

May 19, 2008 @ 5:38 pm

Good continuing health to you, Scott. You haven’t needed to rely on pharmacists’ knowledge yet.

Scott, I don’t need to be treated like a deity, just like a human being. I want to be addressed as a man, not as the object of cursing. If I contact another healthcare professional, I want my questions to be taken seriously, because, according to my licensure and qualifications, and no matter what you may think of my smock, I am a member of the healthcare team, too.

187

Comment by bulldog

May 19, 2008 @ 6:53 pm

Ignorance is bliss. As has been said already, he hasn’t needed any help yet and so sees no real purpose we might serve. My father is a retired lawyer/judge and of course that profession has been maligned forever. As he pointed out to me as a youngster, lawyers are parasites and so on right up until you need one. Then they are god-sends, lifesavers, field levelers etc… Scott, befriend a pharmacist where you live and find out just what we do, licking sticking and pouring is not the meat of our job. We could say the same about almost any job until an expert is needed to guide us. Become informed before passing such simple minded judgement. Regardless, I recommend since it is so simple that you come and join us and rake in some of that serious cash-it’s easy, trust us.

188

Comment by Future Pharmacist

May 19, 2008 @ 7:25 pm

Scott’s message actually makes me sad, because it is how a good portion of the population sees pharmacists. It also shows the lack of respect most people have for others. People would rather die than be inconvenienced by the pharmacist who is just trying to make sure they don’t die from taking their medication the wrong way.

I’m not sure that Scott and people like him will ever understand what it’s like to be a pharmacist, but I fail to see how that means I should be treated with less respect. A cashier at Walmart or a guy flipping burgers at McDonald’s deserves just as much as respect as anyone else who is working for a living and providing a service or good to you.

189

Comment by Karen H

May 19, 2008 @ 7:27 pm

Oh my. Scott will continue to feel the way he does until such time as he needs advice, and the doctor is unavailable. Or until two or more of his MedCo rxs interact, and he has a serious side effect and is unaware of what is causing it. He may have a problem when MedCo misfills his toddler’s prescription and the child becomes a vegetable for life…But that’s what he’ll get for $12 an hour.

Perhaps a refill of Advair that you’ve taken for years if fine. But who do you ask questions of when you need a NEW medicine that you don’t know about? Who calls the doctor to verify that he really wants to give you Levaquin 500 twice/day for 10 days when you’re 92 years and 110 pounds ?

And just by the way – at least in theory, there is someone making a big salary who checks those 3 boxes placed in your envelope that you get in the mail. ‘Cuz the wrong medication has the potential to KILL. That’s why they’re prescriptions.

190

Comment by pharmacychick

May 19, 2008 @ 9:33 pm

I sent ol’Scott a stern email detailing some of the things that a pharmacist does other than count “pills”. Its probably a waste of computer time because I doubt it will change his shallow mind but if he reads blogs, Angriest is getting his point across too about Scott’s unwelcome comments.

191

Comment by MissMellee

May 20, 2008 @ 10:27 am

Very very sad, he thinks of pharmacists as nothing more then overpaid Walmart cashiers. I’ve never had mail order and never will. What happens if your meds you PAID for are lost in the mail? Damaged? pills missing? It can happen, and it does! Atleast, I know that when I pay for my prescritpion I will get my prescription right then and not 3 or 4 days later. It will be a sad day when pills are “vended” by machines, I just don’t see that coming. I am on a couple different meds, I was given a new one in addition to the other 2, thank goodness the pharmacist (a live breathing person) called my doctor and suggested something different, the interactions between the new and old meds could have greatly harmed me. My son is on meds, he is young and the meds he takes gives him a much better quality of life then he had without, I wouldn’t ever trust the livelyhood of my son to a vending machine or a mail order company. Even though I am not a pharmacist or a tech or in the medical profession at all, I rely on them for a better quality of life. I like my pharmacists, I trust them. It really angers me to see people just don’t appriciate them. So what if they make 150,000 per year, or whatever. Pharmacists are there for us more then our own PCP’s. They take the brunt of the sh** from the drug seekers wanting their early refills and taking their wrath when they say their medicaid says refill too soon… Their just not pharmacists, their doctors, nurses, everything. They answer the questions free of charge that would have cost us 100$ or more to ask your doctor. I can guarentee that some time in your life you have asked a question to a pharmacist to save a buck. Scott you make me wanna barf, Wouldn’t it be nice… to look up his IP address and notify every pharmacy in his area….

192

Comment by lb969cpht

May 20, 2008 @ 8:20 pm

ATTN: Scott.

Just remember your choice of mail order next time you need an antibiotic, or better yet, promethazine cause you can’t stop puking your guts out.

193

Comment by PharmacyJim

May 20, 2008 @ 9:33 pm

Hey Scott,
I usually reserve this for my drugheads that I catch not being truthfull to me about when and where they had their narcs filled AFTER I catch them. However, I do break it out occasionally when someone is a total jackass. Scott, you are FIRED as a patient. Don’t ever call and don’t ever come in my store. Goodbye.

194

Comment by Lil' Laura

May 21, 2008 @ 5:02 am

Scott, get a life. More importantly, get a job. One that involves dealing with people like yourself and MAYBE you might find the compassion within yourself to see what a real asshole you have made yourself on an international scale…..
Don’t believe me? I’m a guest of The *Angriest* Pharmacist…
Read my comment and my blog.
We are pharmacists, not deities (surprised you have a dictionary). And you, “Scott”, have pissed off the majority of pharmacists WORLDWIDE….

195

Comment by KDUBZ

May 26, 2008 @ 7:15 am

Scott is just a disgruntled greeter at walmart!!!!

196

Comment by KDUBZ

May 26, 2008 @ 7:20 am

Sorry for the second post, but it just hit me….IF Scott hates pharmacists, why is he spending his free time reading a blog entitled “the pharmacy chick”

Ok I am done now

197

Comment by pharmacychick

May 26, 2008 @ 8:28 pm

KDUBZ, you got that right…and I wondered myself. If he dislikes us so much, why would he read me? For that matter, HOW’d he find me? Who cares, he has never written a rebuttal…the weasel.

198

Comment by The Chrispy One

May 28, 2008 @ 10:36 pm

OK

199

Comment by pharmacychick

May 29, 2008 @ 6:34 pm

Chrispy One,
Until retail pharmacy was taken over by Corporate America less than a generation ago, people DID have an understanding of what a pharmacist did. I have been blessed and cursed by having been a pharmacist for both of these times. We were appreciated and relatively well respected members of the community. Almost every pharmacy was owned by a pharmacist-owner who most likely lived nearby. His customers were his friends. He treated them respectfully and it was returned in kind. Pharmacy is no longer a business to be treated this way. And if you doubt my word, take your sorry butt over to any walmart (and I’ll never patronize the place). For that matter visit any corporate run pharmacy. Let ME TELL YOU CHRISPY, MY BOSSES DONT CARE if I catch drug interactions, and they will never advertise our wonderful abilities in their TV spots. BUT they will advertise that we price match and will sell you your Atenolol for $4. As long as I keep under their labor model, keep my inventory in check,don’t kill anybody, and rake in as much money as I can, they will be happy. Its all about the greenbacks buddy.
I dont demand any more respect than I give to other people. I will treat the kid pumping my gas the same way that I would treat the Queen should she show up at my doorstep. Its a courtesy that all people should exhibit and just because a person has assumed the position of “customer” doesnt mean they now have the right to disregard their manners. All I ever see of my optometrist is him fitting me for glasses, but I am not so stupid to think that is all he knows how to do.
And thank you, I do spread the word, I have spoken to community groups, done brown bag seminars, taught interns, given MTM’s and Flu clinics, etc. I certainly do more than count by fives. You are seriously barking up the wrong tree friend. AND if my company didn’t constantly keep me on a skeleton crew, I could spend more time in front of the counter instead of behind it.
And lastly, this is my blog, if I wanna whine I am gonna do it. I write about the absurdity of what happens while wearing the white coat, mostly to those who share this position or are interested in it.

200

Comment by LV Tech

May 31, 2008 @ 1:06 pm

Scott is a F****** redneck who thinks that people who work in the pharmacy are just a bunch of idiots with licenses to hand out meds. He’s just a waste of time and space.

201

Comment by Pharmacy Student

June 13, 2008 @ 9:23 pm

Wow. What an idiot. Isn’t that frustrating? Believe it or not… I have a patient tell me that all pharmacists do is “staple bags all of the time.” I felt my blood pressure go up…

202

Comment by sickofstupidpeople

June 18, 2008 @ 10:38 pm

Hey Pharmacy Chick, love your blog!!!
Regarding Scott – don’t forget, for every one of him, there’s another patient out there who truly appreciates that you’ve caught a huge drug interaction or dosing error by their prescriber. YOU know what we do for patients, and that’s all that matters…
Regarding WalMart – pharmacy had turned into a money making venture long before WalMart got involved. Give them credit for starting the trend of making drugs available at a reasonable price for those who need them. We (as pharmacists) got into the biz to help people, and making it affordable is one way to help…

203

Comment by Are you for real?

August 22, 2008 @ 9:05 am

We should just all be glad that he uses Mail order. I can see this person in my Pharmacy at 6:55pm with 10 scripts and he needs at NOW. We close at 7 pm and the scripts are 10 days old. By the way, the “stupid” people in the Pharmacy who count are just the Tech’s. They only make, what,10-14$ an hour?
Just the SMELL from some of the population they have to endure is worth more than that. I hope he is not that bitter about EVERYTHING in his life. He sounds sad.