A comparison of time and value

Filed under: Uncategorized — pharmacychick at 7:12 am on Friday, May 16, 2008

Pharmacy Chick recently had some work done on her home. They figured it might take around 4 days but I looks like it will take a little while longer, maybe 5-6. I didn’t complain. This is my home, my abode, my domicile, my sanctuary. My home is important to me, I want the work done correctly, and its not costing me any more money if this project takes 4 days or 6. If I rush them, they may make a mistake or cut corners. It was hot outside so I left some sodas in a cooler for the workmen as I bid adeiu for the day. Every day I would come home to see what they had done. I compare it to opening Christmas presents every day: “oh, look at this! Cool!”

How might things work in the pharmacy if people adopted the same attitude: I am having a prescription filled at my pharmacy. The clerk told me it may take 15 minutes, but I looks like it may take 20-25. I am not complaining. This is my body, and its important to me. I want my prescription filled correctly and its not costing me any more money if it takes 10 or 30 minutes to fill. If I rush them, they may make a mistake and give me the wrong medication…..

Too bad it doesn’t work that way. “HOW long??” “All you have to do is put pills in a bottle!” “I have to go to a meeting/basketball game/pick my kid up from soccer/get to the airport..” “Can you rush it?”

It happened the other day. A lady was pissed because the Dr had left a message (new script) on our machine about 1/2 hour before she arrived. I hadn’t pulled it yet because we were slammed. I told her we were busy and I would get to it as quickly as I can. She pulled attitude on me.” You’re busy? My husband’s in pain”. I rushed the rx and didn’t check it as good as I should have. I put the wrong doctor’s name on the rx (same last name, wrong first name). She made a point of telling me a few days later while I was out on the sales floor. With a bit of haughty in her voice ” I called your other pharmacist to make sure I got the right medicine too”

I just calmly replied as I walked back into the pharmacy “serves me right for rushing it for you. huh?”

178

Comment by PharmacyJim

May 16, 2008 @ 2:56 pm

Bwahaha. Great comeback. Do I have permission to use that line? I have used similar comebacks in my 28 years of practice, but that is priceless.

179

Comment by kathy

May 16, 2008 @ 11:46 pm

I agree! We are human. We make mistakes when rushed. They want instant no-wait-time service with no errors, no PA’s, no tiers, no interactions, no refill-too-soons, and no verifying prescriptions with the doctor. They don’t want to hear that you can’t make certain recommendations for pregnant women. They don’t want to hear you recommend them to take their 6 month old child to the doctor’s instead of selling them Claritin-D so they can ‘crush it and give him/her a little bit’ So yes, they make it seem like it’s all our fault and continuously bother us with non-pharmacy related duties/questions such as buying a candy bar up front and walking all the way to the back, wait in line for 5 minutes just to purchase it, fling their cash/card at you, and expect you to THANK them…everytime….Anyways great post PC! More stories!

180

Comment by Ray Poorbaugh

May 19, 2008 @ 1:27 pm

I hate being rushed, even one of my Techs the other day (when talking about the new store I’m building and how its setup) made a snide comment about it “keeping us from getting distracted”…Why do people think we can focus on our jobs when they won’t stop interrupting us?

I’m a pharmacist and I’ve come up with a theory lately that people RESPECT the pizza guy (or choose your take out food joint here) more than the people preparing their life sustaining medications. Think about it when is the last time you ordered lunch and they said it would be ready in oh 30min and first you whined and moaned about how long that was, and then you showed up 5min later and waited at the register blocking others way until it was ready…I’ll tell ya! NEVER! People don’t do that to the pizza guy, but its ok to do to the pharmacist.

181

Comment by Pharmacy Student

June 13, 2008 @ 9:28 pm

Oh, I love that comeback. Love it!

That’s one of my pet peeves too. A pharmacy isn’t a fastfood chain. When a customer complains of a 15 min wait, I have learned to say “We’ll get it as soon and as SAFE as we can.” That usually shuts them up.

182

Comment by Mallory

June 30, 2008 @ 11:32 am

To be fair, as a customer, I’d rather be told 20 mins in the first place, than 10 mins, and then have to wait longer.

The reason for this, is that the pharmacy I go to has no seating, so I go away and do my other shopping, and then come back. The last time the phamacist told me it would be just another minute, it stretched into 10… I was standing there waiting, tired, in pain, and I fainted. Cue concern, chair, water, and me saying, ‘no really, I’m fine. I just can’t stand for long.’

Very inconvenient for the pharmacy staff, and embarassing for me.

Some of us literally cannot stand around waiting. I don’t care if it takes 10 minutes or 20 minutes to fill the perscription – I just need to know when I can come back for it.